Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Trade in "Any" smartphone for Turbo?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, that's true about the "current" phone - one place where the language is a little iffy. It says "your old smartphone" on the vzw page linked above. If they insist on it being your current phone, couldn't you just activate your crappy old phone and deactivate your actual current phone, and then do the trade in?
Hopefully, this won't be the case, since all I have that can work on Verizon is my current daily carry phone, and I want to keep it as an emergency back up in the event of a worse case scenario wit the new Droid.

EngineerGuy

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'd still like to know if you have to be at a Verizon store to do this or if any Verizon retailer will accept the used phone and apply the discount.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd still like to know if you have to be at a Verizon store to do this or if any Verizon retailer will accept the used phone and apply the discount.
If you use another B&M I'm reasonably sure you can use it just like purchasing over the phone. That method involves going to the "normal" trade in your device area on Verizon's site, and entering your phone information. It will tell you the trade in value of your phone is $22 (or something equally insulting), but you can enter a promo code, and that -- combined with your activated Turbo -- will give you the $100 credit on your bill. Joe even posted the promo code somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and re-post as an edit to this post.

Edit: MotoTurboSmart100 is apparently the universal promo code for this offer (it was just a few posts above).

To be on the safe side, give Verizon customer service a call. The person I spoke with today was very knowledgeable.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Will the code only be active tomorrow? I tried it now and it didn't work.
I would assume nothing will work before the 30th. After all, it isn't supposed to be available until then. I think the article mentioned the offer was good through then end of the year, but anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Can you get the deal in stores, or is it online only? And it's really *any* working smartphone? I have a junky old Droid X. Wondering if I should next day a battery from Amazon to make sure it works and trade it in. I prefer buying phones in-store over online, though.
The code is for those who place an online order, if you go into a store we will automatically process the trade for you.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if it is 1 discount per account or if we could use it to buy TWO droid turbo phones for 2 of our lines? One is certainly better than none, but it would be awesome to get $100 off both the phones we'll be buying. (New edge more everything plan with 4 lines- we are currently 26 moths into a very old "nationwide talk" (no texting) plan.)
It's one per line, so if you had 4 lines and wanted to upgrade all 4 to turbos and trade in 4 phones, you would get 400.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I found a link on verizonwireless.com that states that this deal is in fact true.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ience-arrives-in-48-hours.html&token=yU3j5o-x

If you go to a store and they say that there is no such deal, show them this. It looks to me like they're trying to hide this deal so more people don't take advantage of it.
Why would we hide this deal? It only hurts us as sales rep by hiding the deal. Stop making stuff up and assuming things. All our signage we are putting up mentions the trade in deal.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon directly this afternoon when I couldn't find a local store that could confirm for sure they had 64GB version, and the very helpful Verizon rep tried to sell me the phone, but the system would not allow her. But, she ALSO volunteered the $100 trade in credit and explained how it worked both online and at B&M stores. Either way, it's processed as a credit on your bill down the road, so don't expect $100 off on the spot. I didn't go so far as to ask if "any" phone would qualify. She asked the condition of my "current" phone, so obviously, they would certainly prefer your existing phone (makes sense). I plan on trying to trade my old Sprint HTC EVO 4G. It's in exceptional condition, but has no value to me.
If you buy it in store, it can definitely be put towards the phone. Once again people, stop making stuff up until you known the facts.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If you buy it in store, it can definitely be put towards the phone. Once again people, stop making stuff up until you known the facts.
I may have mis-understood the customer service rep on the phone, but it was my understanding that the $100 would come in the form of a credit on the phone bill. If that is incorrect, I apologize for the mi-information, but I'd appreciate not being directly accused of just making stuff up. I like to think of myself as one of the calmer voices in forums, and contribute only if I think I am adding value. If that wasn't the case this time - my bad.

Since you've clarified that aspect of my post, can you address the other aspect on what phone can be used as a trade in? Will I be able to use a fully functional smart phone from another carrier that is not currently in service (in my case, HTC EVO)?, or do I have to use my currently active phone?

Last edited:

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon directly this afternoon when I couldn't find a local store that could confirm for sure they had 64GB version, and the very helpful Verizon rep tried to sell me the phone, but the system would not allow her. But, she ALSO volunteered the $100 trade in credit and explained how it worked both online and at B&M stores. Either way, it's processed as a credit on your bill down the road, so don't expect $100 off on the spot. I didn't go so far as to ask if "any" phone would qualify. She asked the condition of my "current" phone, so obviously, they would certainly prefer your existing phone (makes sense). I plan on trying to trade my old Sprint HTC EVO 4G. It's in exceptional condition, but has no value to me.

And the upgrade fee (if one is subject to that) is also given within a couple of billing cycles and not off the top.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I may have mis-understood the customer service rep on the phone, but it was my understanding that the $100 would come in the form of a credit on the phone bill. If that is incorrect, I apologize for the mi-information, but I'd appreciate not being directly accused of just making stuff up. I like to think of myself as one of the calmer voices in forums, and contribute only if I think I am adding value. If that wasn't the case this time - my bad.

Since you've clarified that aspect of my post, can you address the other aspect on what phone can be used as a trade in? Will I be able to use a fully functional smart phone from another carrier that is not currently in service (in my case, HTC EVO)?, or do I have to use my currently active phone?
I didn't mean to accuse you, but people have really negatives things to say about Verizon Employees and it makes me a little upset, because there are good ones out there like myself who truly want to help.

If you go into the store and purchase the Turbo, They can use the trade toward the phone. From my understanding, any working smartphone will work including outside Verizon.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean to accuse you, but people have really negatives things to say about Verizon Employees and it makes me a little upset, because there are good ones out there like myself who truly want to help.

If you go into the store and purchase the Turbo, They can use the trade toward the phone. From my understanding, any working smartphone will work including outside Verizon.
Thank you very much for that direct clarification Joe, and I understand your feeling to defend your business and associates (as I often need to do in my own profession which I will not go into here). I will point out that my experience with the phone rep was very positive, and I believe that I have pointed that out in two separate posts (3 now).

Keep up the good work and fighting the good fight.

thor2580

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
They gave me 200 for my old Droid X that I had laying around payed 50 bucks for a 64GB Droid Turbo Score!!! Now I just need to sale the G3. And yes in store they took it off the sale price.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
They gave me 200 for my old Droid X that I had laying around payed 50 bucks for a 64GB Droid Turbo Score!!! Now I just need to sale the G3. And yes in store they took it off the sale price.
Nice. I have an old Droid Bionic, but I still have another year on my contract. I'll go up to Verizon on the weekend and see what they can do.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

You got special treatment BC I talked to a manager and all Turbo Trade in value is after purchase, via the website, and in the form of a VZW gift card (4-6 weeks delivery)

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo