Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo I can EDGE from a contract?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I contacted Verizon and this is indeed true just as Android Central claims as far as early upgrades. However, what's not 100% clear is if this includes those of us who upgraded on a contract before July 1st, 2014. The rep seems to think so and if so I'm Edging up. Any idea if this will work? The wording says "Upgrade TO edge" so I assume so.
cbc5ee732280fdc5c3988936f6bb4b6a.jpg

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: I can EDGE from a contract?

I called as well and was told the "Early Edge" was a promotional thing and would vary, which means not everyone would be eligible. I am under contract on one of my lines and have 10 months remaining but so far I don't have the option to do an early Edge. The person did tell me to wait until the device is released though.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I called as well and was told the "Early Edge" was a promotional thing and would vary, which means not everyone would be eligible. I am under contract on one of my lines and have 10 months remaining but so far I don't have the option to do an early Edge. The person did tell me to wait until the device is released though.
I was told to do the same thing. I got my phone on launch so it was around April or May but she said it looks like I should be eligible. If not, I'll pay retail as its virtually the same thing minus a monthly installment plan. I wonder if AC worded it incorrectly or at the very least confusing.

A different website says this;
Edge customers who haven’t upgraded since July 1 of this year can get an early upgrade for the Turbo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I was told to do the same thing. I got my phone on launch so it was around April or May but she said it looks like I should be eligible. If not, I'll pay retail as its virtually the same thing minus a monthly installment plan. I wonder if AC worded it incorrectly or at the very least confusing.

Edge customers who haven’t upgraded since July 1 of this year can get an early upgrade for the Turbo.

That would be awesome if we can. 64gb for me, please. :D

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

Exactly the edge program is now just a phone financing option anyway now that 75% has to be paid off before you can edge. So its better to just pay it off after 75%, then sell to recoup.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

If it is an early edge, then you can be released from the remainder of the contract and do an Early Edge. If you choose to do an early Edge, you must surrender your old phone on that line to Verizon within 14 days of receiving the Droid Turbo otherwise you will be assessing a failure to return the device fee (up to $299). Verizon is basically giving you a break from the ETF by taking back the phone that is under contract.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

If it is an early edge, then you can be released from the remainder of the contract and do an Early Edge. If you choose to do an early Edge, you must surrender your old phone on that line to Verizon within 14 days of receiving the Droid Turbo otherwise you will be assessing a failure to return the device fee (up to $299). Verizon is basically giving you a break from the ETF by taking back the phone that is under contract.
That's the way I understand it. I guess we won't know until Thursday. I'm going to be able to do it either way and maybe giving them my phone for a payment plan isn't the best option anyways.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

That's the way I understand it. I guess we won't know until Thursday. I'm going to be able to do it either way and maybe giving them my phone for a payment plan isn't the best option anyways.

I did an Early Edge on one of my lines recently. I chose to do an Early Edge for a Moto X. I was supposed to return the Note 3 that was on that line or face a 299 fee. I chose to return the Moto X because of all the new devices coming out, etc... Its a nightmare to unwind I tell you. Big Red is just as confused about this process as Motorola is.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I did an Early Edge on one of my lines recently. I chose to do an Early Edge for a Moto X. I was supposed to return the Note 3 that was on that line or face a 299 fee. I chose to return the Moto X because of all the new devices coming out, etc... Its a nightmare to unwind I tell you. Big Red is just as confused about this process as Motorola is.
I'm torn between a Note 4 and Droid Turbo. I held a Note for the first time in months and loved the size and really want it. On the other hand, I am tired of Touchwiz and I want the Droid battery life. That's why I'm leaning towards the Droid.

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I'm gonna call about this tomorrow but if I'm in the middle of my edge plan now and pay off the remaining balance of my current phone, you think I can then edge the turbo? I'm assuming so bc as long as the phone is paid off 75% of the balance, you can edge up anyway later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

Just found the answer on Verizon's site, "after 30 days and 76% of the phone paid off, you're eligible to upgrade."

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm torn between a Note 4 and Droid Turbo. I held a Note for the first time in months and loved the size and really want it. On the other hand, I am tired of Touchwiz and I want the Droid battery life. That's why I'm leaning towards the Droid.

I am in the same situation, I am not sure about the Note 4, Nexus 6 or the Droid Turbo. Half of me, wants to buy the Droid Turbo d run with it for 2 weeks to see if I want to keep it and pay the restocking fee. The other half wants me to go with the Note 4. The UI on the Moto X was not all that impressive. I am running Nova Launcher on the Note 3 so, when put the Nova on the Moto X, I really did not see that much of a difference.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I am in the same situation, I am not sure about the Note 4, Nexus 6 or the Droid Turbo. Half of me, wants to buy the Droid Turbo d run with it for 2 weeks to see if I want to keep it and pay the restocking fee. The other half wants me to go with the Note 4. The UI on the Moto X was not all that impressive. I am running Nova Launcher on the Note 3 so, when put the Nova on the Moto X, I really did not see that much of a difference.
Tricky, eh?

Amazing Battery life + almost stock

or

Decent battery life, Touchwiz, huge gorgeous display, Spen.

Lol, third world problems. I'll choose near stock lol.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Just found the answer on Verizon's site, "after 30 days and 76% of the phone paid off, you're eligible to upgrade."

After 30 days and paying off the 75%, you can upgrade. So, lets just say the device costs $500 at the time of purchase. After 30 days, you want to Edge up. You would pay 375 to pay off the Edge and Edge up to another device. The interesting part, if you paid the 375 and handed over the phone, what is the phone really worth? Perhaps, you might fare better, paying the entire 500 and then selling the phone for lets say, 300. Then you would only have paid 200 to get out of the contract, which was cheaper than the 375.

After you pay the 500, you could go back to month to month or open up a new Edge contract once again.

Hope that this makes sense.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Tricky, eh?

Amazing Battery life + almost stock

or

Decent battery life, Touchwiz, huge gorgeous display, Spen.

Lol, third world problems. I'll choose near stock lol.

One thing I got sort of stung on, I decided to order the Moto X from Motomaker. I then decided that I wanted to order a case and screen protector. Being that I started using a glass screen protector, I was sold on one. Now, here is the problem...accessories for the Moto X 2014 edition is virtually non-existent. No glass screen protector and the case options were slim. I decided to see what was available for the Note 4 and came across pages and pages. WHen I spoke with Verizon they told me that historically, Apple and Samsung have the best selections of accessories.

You are right about stock verses TW. I hear ya. I am especially bothered about the delay in software updates and then when they arrive TW hides most of them so, the improvement is marginal.

In regard to the Edge agreement, see my analysis to another poster. It should be right above this one. The math might make sense. Also, if you can get more than the non returnable fee that they would assess, you might want to get stuck with the fee and sell the device on your own.

Cyder

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

After 30 days and paying off the 75%, you can upgrade. So, lets just say the device costs $500 at the time of purchase. After 30 days, you want to Edge up. You would pay 375 to pay off the Edge and Edge up to another device. The interesting part, if you paid the 375 and handed over the phone, what is the phone really worth? Perhaps, you might fare better, paying the entire 500 and then selling the phone for lets say, 300. Then you would only have paid 200 to get out of the contract, which was cheaper than the 375.

After you pay the 500, you could go back to month to month or open up a new Edge contract once again.

Hope that this makes sense.

Thanks, it actually made perfect sense.

datagrrl

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Am I missing something about Edge? No one mentioned the $10/$25 off per line. With that it is really better than financing the phone @0%. Do you get that discount if you buy the phone outright?

If you do I will probably buy it outright.

Posted via the Android Central App

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

From everything I've read, yes, you still get the discount when buying outright. Basically, if you get the subsidized price, you pay for the phone through contract. If you by outright or edge, they don't have to charge you to make up the cost difference.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

From everything I've read, yes, you still get the discount when buying outright. Basically, if you get the subsidized price, you pay for the phone through contract. If you by outright or edge, they don't have to charge you to make up the cost difference.

AFAIK the plan discount is only applied while actively making edge payments. BYOP has no discount.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

AFAIK the plan discount is only applied while actively making edge payments. BYOP has no discount.

Okay, they must have changed it recently. I know a few months back they were discounting byop. I'll try looking when I'm on the computer later.