Questions about purchasing the DROID TURBO from Verizon? Ask here!

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Those who want to purchase the Turbo and have questions, Ask me

I would but coming from a note 3 I'm concerned with the smaller screen. I have grown to love my massive screen and am torn on what to get.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.

If that's your thing then get a Note 4. The "Best display ever tested." My dad has one, its great, although I watched the battery drain from 25% to 5% while on 40% brightness in 45 minutes.

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

Since I got an S5 it seems like my best option is to pay retail and sell my phone. Otherwise, I'm essentially agreeing to a 2 year payment plan with a $250 or more fee to do so.

Am I right? If you can't say due to the nature of your job I'll understand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oh man.. and here I am with an upgrade available, trying to decide between the S5 and the Turbo. Battery life is the most important factor in my decision, but the camera is a close second. The camera on the S5 is amazing, but I've been really underwhelmed by the Turbo, from the little I've seen. I'm still waiting for the big review sites, but should I not worry about the camera so much? Any phone is going to have a great camera and be lightning fast coming from my little old galaxy nexus...

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Oh man.. and here I am with an upgrade available, trying to decide between the S5 and the Turbo. Battery life is the most important factor in my decision, but the camera is a close second. The camera on the S5 is amazing, but I've been really underwhelmed by the Turbo, from the little I've seen. I'm still waiting for the big review sites, but should I not worry about the camera so much? Any phone is going to have a great camera and be lightning fast coming from my little old galaxy nexus...

At this point, I wouldn't recommend buying an S5, its almost 6 months old. That's not to say that it isn't a great phone. However, I always buy my phones on release day, so that I get the most out of them. The Turbo's camera is no slouch. I am very happy with its camera, as I feared it being like the Droid Turbo, or Moto X/X2's. It takes great sun shots in addition to great low-light shots. If you had purchased a Galaxy Nexus, like myself, in the past, then I assume you have an affinity to stock android experience, in which the Droid Turbo delivers 95% of that. Battery life? You have a GN, nuff said. Mine used to last 5 hours tops. The Turbo will get you through a day of heavy usage and then some. Turbo charger is a huge plus as well. Pull the trigger.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Here were my issues with the S5.

1.) Build quality. The back cover was the most cheap and creaky thing ever.

2.) Touchwiz - Laggy and a resource hog.

3.) Battery life was average at best. Not bad but not great.

As for pictures I just snapped a few. No flash on and no zoom. Sorry for the quick and messy cover up of my plate. I think Tapatalk degrades quality too

557e627276de13b822a49c7e5afc3284.jpg
36c0908f573690fe514fd35a50b1034a.jpg

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Randino77

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site

This is the case if you order online. If you buy it in store, Trade in credit will be applied to phone and Upgrade fee will be applied to next bill.

Joe, Is there anyway to do the trade in first, apply that to your past due bill, then do the upgrade?

Posted via the Android Central App

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

You have a GN, nuff said. Mine used to last 5 hours tops. The Turbo will get you through a day of heavy usage and then some.

Haha seriously. I drain about 1%/min browsing reddit... it's terrible and I'm so excited to upgrade.

As for pictures I just snapped a few. No flash on and no zoom. Sorry for the quick and messy cover up of my plate. I think Tapatalk degrades quality too

Looks pretty good. I've seen in a lot of user pics that things can get blurry when I view them in full size, especially around edges, but I'm wondering if it's a scaling thing after uploading, resizing and viewing them on my big monitor, etc. In regards to 3) I know the S5 has a nice battery saver mode which really helps. Does the Turbo have something similar? I hate putting my phone on airplane when I'm trying to keep it alive.

aue123

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

are these Turbo pics or S5 ?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Haha seriously. I drain about 1%/min browsing reddit... it's terrible and I'm so excited to upgrade.

Looks pretty good. I've seen in a lot of user pics that things can get blurry when I view them in full size, especially around edges, but I'm wondering if it's a scaling thing after uploading, resizing and viewing them on my big monitor, etc. In regards to 3) I know the S5 has a nice battery saver mode which really helps. Does the Turbo have something similar? I hate putting my phone on airplane when I'm trying to keep it alive.
The issue is Samsung's Ultra Power Saver mode disables a ton of features and turns the display black and white. I don't see a Power Saver mode yet although it may be there on the Turbo. Luckily, the Turbo looks to have far better battery life that you'll never need it even if it existed.

One thing to note is Android System uses nearly triple the battery on the S5 when compared to the Turbo so far. It always destroyed even display time but here its no where near that. I'll show fill details later.

Last edited:

aue123

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

i don't have my Turbo on me, its powered off and on the charger.. Whats the resolution of the pictures, I know one is 15.5mp and the other is 21mp.. Are they 1080p or 4k pics? That might be another reason they might look slightly blah when they get posted. When I take them on the Turbo they look amazing but I upload on here and its like they lose some clarity.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

i don't have my Turbo on me, its powered off and on the charger.. Whats the resolution of the pictures, I know one is 15.5mp and the other is 21mp.. Are they 1080p or 4k pics? That might be another reason they might look slightly blah when they get posted. When I take them on the Turbo they look amazing but I upload on here and its like they lose some clarity.
Details from the pics:

Back car view

3ca7f209f3f74418a58588d907b00309.jpg

Angled view

1eadc8d56bf4db2620451aba8e128622.jpg

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Hi,

How quickly do they send out the trade-in promode code? I will be using a limited data line to activate but will use the phone on my unlimited line. I'm planning to get the phone, activate it, then swap it back out to use on my unlimited line. The promo code should still be emailed to me right? Or do I need to keep the phone active on that upgrading line until the code arrive?

Thanks.

It comes with the phone when it's delivered.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

This describes my predicament exactly. Priorities: Battery, camera. But there is no way I could go with a Samsung and the TouchWiz garbage. What else is there?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

H

Yep, looks like the typical washed out Motorola picture. G-r-r-r-r.

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

Not really that bad. Again, Tapatalk is degrading the quality.

It's true, it's really not that bad. I think some people are just a little disappointed considering how incredible the rest of the specs are in the phone. If it had a powerhouse camera too, it would be a 100% buy for so many people. There wouldn't really even be a question about it. I just wish they had dropped the screen down to 1080p (does anyone really need 500+ dpi on a little phone screen?) and used the money they save on a better camera sensor.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I doubt the sensor is the problem; it's probably the software, but I wouldn't expect huge improvements through updates.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

Hi Joe, thanks for taking questions.

Here's the scenario - I bought a phone in Sep 2013 on a 12 month device installment plan (nothing to do with edge or renewing any agreement). Made last payment this past September. So it's paid in full. On Oct 3, bought a Galaxy S5 on Edge from a corporate store. Returned it on Oct 8 to same store. Tried to buy the Droid Turbo in the store today and they tell me that when I returned the Galaxy S5, something happened in the system that made it look like my device installment plan was still active and they would have to call someone at Verizon to have it fixed. They tried, and after 30 minutes, they couldn't find anyone to fix. So, I then called Verizon Wireless to order over the phone and they said that it had nothing to do with a device installment plan but was actually related to the returned Galaxy and that I had to wait 30 days from the time of that return to be able to buy a new device on Edge. So they are saying I can't get any new phone on my line until Nov 8, 30 days from the day I returned the Galaxy S5.

For some perspective, I have 5 lines on my 10GB share plan and 4 are smartphones. One is on Edge, two are on a 2 year contract and the basic phone is month to month. My line is also month to month, as my 2 year contract expired last month and my current device is paid in full. Is this Edge - return- waiting period thing normal? Who can I call to make this go away so I can walk into a store tomorrow and get my 64GB Turbo? Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.