Questions about purchasing the DROID TURBO from Verizon? Ask here!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

DroidTurbo1

Banned
Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I might surprise my wife with a red Turbo for Christmas.

Important question: Does purchasing the Turbo directly thru Amazon negate the $100 trade in credit through Verizon?

Posted via the Android Central App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
On November 15, 2014, we went to a VzW store with our Droid 2 and Fascinate in hand. (5 days before our 1-year anniversary)
- Explained that we wanted to trade them in towards Turbo's.
- Also explained that we wanted to switch to Edge for both lines, since the trade-in results in $25 discount per line per month for the life of the Edge program ($450 over 18 months for each line).
- The Fascinate worked without any issues. The rep was able to select Early Edge, along with the $25 discount, and my wife taking the 32GB Turbo Red, for an effective wash in monthly price.
- The Droid2Global gave them issues.. not sure why, but they eventually did a trade-in over-ride to force Early Edge, and the $25 discount. I choose the 64GB Turbo, for an effective $3 more per month.

Oh, and on top of all that, we also took advantage of the new pricing for the More Everything plans, and now have the 10GB plan for $20 less than we were paying.

At this point, we now have brand new phones.. much better battery life, .. an effective $17 drop in monthly cost, and have the ability switch to new device in 18 months. Now, VzW could easily not offer the $25 discount next time around... so.. we'll have to revisit that when the time comes.. but, I see this as a win for now.

This is almost a carbon copy of my situation, down to the D2G as one of the trade in phones. I've got 3 lines expiring on Dec 1st, with three Maxx HD's currently on those lines. We will be doing the Edge program and the 10 GB a month program. My wife will be getting the red 32GB and I will be getting the 64GB version. I have an old D2G I will use as a trade in and keep my Maxx HD. Verizon won't give me the $100 credit on our trade-ins unless we wait until Dec 1st. I can get on Edge right now by trading the phones in, but no $100 credit until Dec. 1st.They did say there was a possibility Verizon would let us do the deal getting the $100 credit within 7 days of our expiration date, since they've done that in years past, but last time I checked (Tues.) they didn't have that offer on the table.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I might surprise my wife with a red Turbo for Christmas.

Important question: Does purchasing the Turbo directly thru Amazon negate the $100 trade in credit through Verizon?

Posted via the Android Central App

I would guess that you would not get the $100 credit if you bought from Amazon. Amazon does have a trade in program, but I'd bet you wouldn't get $100 for your old device.

steve lawrence2

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I just purchased my turbo yesterday. I traded in my old razr m. I was out the door minus only $118 in less than an hour. very painless, tommi in franklin wi even transferred all my phone info and apps!

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Switching to the EDGE plan gives u 10GB for the same price its a much better deal which I currently use as of today.

Posted from my 64 GB Droid Turbo black nylon

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
The droid turbo is 99.99 on verizon's website now with a 2 year contract. I assume the deal is good through at least tomorrow - black friday? My goal is to avoid setting foot in a store tomorrow...

Questions:
1. I want to trade in my old galaxy nexus for the $100 gift card, can I do that at a verizon store next week if I purchase the turbo online today? The $100 trade in promo is good till 12/31.
2. If I order the phone online, the advantage is I will be able to transfer over my photos and apps, etc. I have never transferred data from one smartphone to the other, are there any recommended guides? I really just want my audio books, some photos (most are backed up), and texts+contacts.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know this answer as well.

Yes, the Turbo is $99 all weekend long and you get $100 credit for trading in a working smartphone. So you get a new Turbo and Verizon gives you a dollar. There is a $35 activation fee, however.

Here's a screen grab of a conversation I had with a CSR on the Verizon web site. I was asking question about the Edge program, which I can't get the $100 credit for unless I wait until Dec 1st, my contract date. Then I ask about the 2 year contract plan and stacking the $99 Turbo with the $100 trade in offer.

Click to enlarge:

Verizon Chat.JPG

snow716

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
To answer some of my own questions - I ordered a droid turbo today for $99 + 30 activation + tax

They will send you an email within 3 days of activation asking about trade in. Apparently you will get sent an envelope so you can just mail in your 'working smartphone' (in my case a galaxy nexus) and when they receive it they will send you a $100 gift code you can use on a bill.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I called them after I ordered my Droid Turbo online today and was told that the activation/upgrade fee should be credited within 2-3 billing cycles. This is part of the promotion of waived activation/upgrade fees if purchasing before the end of the year.

Also, after receiving the trade-in email after activation, you can either mail in your trade-in (they'll provide a prepaid label) or you can do it in a VZW store (note: not at an authorized reseller though). Supposedly you have until the end of 2014 to do the trade in.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Do I have to wait until my contract ends to get the $100 discount? It ends Dec 15th.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

From what I understand, Verizon's $100 discount is good thru tomorrow, 11/30, and it requires a new 2 yr contract. Verizon told me that I could upgrade 1 week early, so for you that would be on 12/8. You could always call them to see if they'd allow you to upgrade a bit earlier. I know that you can upgrade early via Edge, but I'm not a fan. Alternatively, they might extend or bring back that discount during December.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The verizon rep online says the discount will be available for quite some time. Hmm. He did say that I have to wait until 12/15.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Just a question. Who told you you could upgrade a week early? I was at a corporate kiosk in a mall a couple of weeks ago and one rep said that you can go seven days early. Awhile later I mentioned it to another rep and she wouldn't respond. Today at the same kiosk yet another rep said corporate can't do it but customer service can. He said it would have to be at a retailer like Walmart or Sam's Club.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Just a question. Who told you you could upgrade a week early? I was at a corporate kiosk in a mall a couple of weeks ago and one rep said that you can go seven days early. Awhile later I mentioned it to another rep and she wouldn't respond. Today at the same kiosk yet another rep said corporate can't do it but customer service can. He said it would have to be at a retailer like Walmart or Sam's Club.

I was told about the seven-day-early-upgrade over the phone with Verizon. I knew nothing about this before and was just straight up informed without asking any questions. I then upgraded through my VZW account online, where it also said that I was eligible to upgrade at that point.

I don't have any experience dealing with upgrading at a kiosk or in store. I've done it online each time and it's been pretty quick and painless.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
The verizon rep online says the discount will be available for quite some time. Hmm. He did say that I have to wait until 12/15.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Hmm, no idea why you couldn't upgrade earlier. Sorry to hear that you have to wait, although it's good that the discount will likely still be in place. And, hopefully by then Lollipop will be close, if not already out.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Went to the Verizon store tonight, that was about a 2 hour mistake. Don't really know the best way to format it, so I'll bullet the key issues.
  • The rep went to the backroom 4 times to ask if I could upgrade a tiered line and keep my unlimited line in tact.
  • Was told I wouldn't be able to upgrade the tiered line then switch it to the UDP if the tiered owner didn't like it.
  • They were out of black mgf, so he tried selling me a red one with a case.
  • Was told in order to get the $100 trade-in promo that I had to trade in the phone currently on that line.
  • Was told the black mgf would be $199 and the red was the one on sale.

I can upgrade the tiered line online, but how does that affect the trade-in process? What I'm wanting to do is switch my upgrade from UDP to tiered, upgrade tiered to Turbo and activate it on that line, trade in the G'Nexus from the UDP, switch the Turbo on the UDP and put the tiered line back to the G2.

This may be more for the Verizon forum than this one, but what do I need to do about sim cards for all of this switching around? That was the reps reasoning for saying switching devices wouldn't work, because they take different sized sim cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance