Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon or Metalized Glass Fiber?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ballistic Nylon or Metalized Glass Fiber?

While I was in the store I had the opportunity to see and play with the alternate "Kevlar" (MGF?) version. I know some will be offended by this but: I was unimpressed. Don't take it personally, but that finish just wasn't for me. The red was especially disappointing (being red and all, I expected more "pop"). If the tables were turned, and the only way to get the 64GB was to get the Kevlar, Ida got the black one -- fortunately for me, that was not the case. I really like the BN.
I wasn't impressed either so I changed my mind and got the BN.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I really want to get the 64 GB, but I have TINY hands. I use a SlingGrip (you'll have to Google it since I can't post links) to wrangle my current phone, and it's the best thing ever. I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to get one to stick to the ballistic nylon. Can anyone comment one way or the other?

BN being a fabric weave won't create much of a surface for adhering anything sticky or suction. Think about what a seat belt fabric feels like and then add hardness.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

While I was in the store I had the opportunity to see and play with the alternate "Kevlar" (MGF?) version. I know some will be offended by this but: I was unimpressed. Don't take it personally, but that finish just wasn't for me. The red was especially disappointing (being red and all, I expected more "pop"). If the tables were turned, and the only way to get the 64GB was to get the Kevlar, Ida got the black one -- fortunately for me, that was not the case. I really like the BN.

Well I'm incredibly offended that you have a different opinion than I do :p

I'm the exact opposite of you. I think the red is absolutely gorgeous. I loved the red on last year's Ultra, but I actually like this red better. I looked at the BN and there's no way I could see myself buying anything with that back - even if they made it in red. I'm so glad Moto and VZW decided to give us a few choices since clearly different people like different things. Everybody can be(somewhat) happy.

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I was trying out a Ballistic Nylon phone at the VZW store, The sticky anti-theft popped off super easy. I do not believe that sticky stuff will work very well with the BN back.

I bought the one with a BN back, it felt a ton better than the other one.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I looked long and hard (that's what she said) at the Red Kevlar and it was rather captivating. In the end I felt it was a little slick and just a bit too much of a finger print magnet (that's what she said). I went with the BN because I love manly black phones and the material feels and looks amazing (that's what she said). I'm finished now...

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I looked long and hard (that's what she said) at the Red Kevlar and it was rather captivating. In the end I felt it was a little slick and just a bit too much of a finger print magnet (that's what she said). I went with the BN because I love manly black phones and the material feels and looks amazing (that's what she said). I'm finished now...

I was able to get the red back to flex and create that sticky sound/feel in certain areas. Its not a big deal but it made me check out the BN.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Folks, he's already admitted in another thread he's sleeping with his new phone tonight...

Noah Meeks

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I was trying out a Ballistic Nylon phone at the VZW store, The sticky anti-theft popped off super easy. I do not believe that sticky stuff will work very well with the BN back.

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear, but glad I know. :)

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I got the red for a few reasons.

1. I'm sick of black phones.
2. The BN phone is a little bit thicker (I know its only like 0.4mm) and thought I'd go with the smaller/thinner option.
3. I don't need 64gb and decided I didn't need to spend the extra $50

That all said, I really do like the red and its a nice change, but it does feel a bit slicker than the kevlar on my Droid Maxx. I don't exactly feel like I'm going to drop it, but maybe a little bit. The BN is certainly likely more grippy and does look a little more high end. I don't notice and finger prints on the red.

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I, too, ambled into one of the local Verizon stores about 11 a.m. None of that sleeping outside the door all night to get in first. Sprang for the 64 GB BN. I looked long and hard at the red, but decided the color wouldn't matter since I case my phones anyway. I also thought the BN looked pretty darn good. Was able to get the second phone sold by the rep. I was pleasantly surprised at his competence, his knowledge of the product and accessories, and his ability to refigure my account so that I actually lowered my monthly bill and give me the $100 as a credit on my bill. I was impressed after several experiences at that location which did not go as well.

I may not need the 64 since I never got close to the 32 GB of my DM, but as others have said, it doesn't have an SD card. My DM also taught me how to get along without a notification LED, I just gave my important people distinct tones so I always knew who was texting me.

edison

cml21

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a nylon 64 today. I needed the space, but for those on the fence, the BN is fairly slick / slippery.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Well I'm incredibly offended that you have a different opinion than I do :p

I'm the exact opposite of you. I think the red is absolutely gorgeous. I loved the red on last year's Ultra, but I actually like this red better. I looked at the BN and there's no way I could see myself buying anything with that back - even if they made it in red. I'm so glad Moto and VZW decided to give us a few choices since clearly different people like different things. Everybody can be(somewhat) happy.
So, pistols at dawn then? :p

guyinlaca

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Now that it's been over a month since release, I am starting to see how these phones really hold up. The Ballistic Nylon demo units in store still look great with only 1-2 threads visible. The metal glass fiber units chip easily along the sides and top hard edge on the back. If you plan to keep the phone without a case, I think the Ballistic Nylon is the way to go. If you're going to throw a case on, especially one that masks the looks anyways, MGF might be better for thinness.

I'm not sure what the edges of the MGF are coated with but it's not as durable as the carbon fiber on the MAXX or even the black soft touch edges on the Ballistic Nylon.

GeneralHawk

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Well I've had my BN since launch - right above the Motorola logo on the back it is fraying a bit and it's really annoying me. This thread looks dead, but thought I'd post and see if anyone has had any issues with it since launch?

-Hawk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy