12-06-2016 12:53 PM
66 123
tools
    Dont test your phone....dropped mine in a rain storm and now the screen is out. Of course Verizon said they was very sorry but no replacement to a customer of 20yrs....talked with Motorola for an hour listing to how they would help me because they stand behind their products and the phone was advertised as splash proof...then all of a sudden the conversation changed and they said they couldn't repair it or sell me a new one????????wtf so im left with a $500 paper weight to remind me to never buy Motorola again and change my provider
    That's not fair - they don't claim to have protection against full submersion in water (rain). Just a quick splash or drop is ok.
    01-14-2015 03:49 PM
    Dont test your phone....dropped mine in a rain storm and now the screen is out. Of course Verizon said they was very sorry but no replacement to a customer of 20yrs....talked with Motorola for an hour listing to how they would help me because they stand behind their products and the phone was advertised as splash proof...then all of a sudden the conversation changed and they said they couldn't repair it or sell me a new one????????wtf so im left with a $500 paper weight to remind me to never buy Motorola again and change my provider
    All phone manufacturers would say this including Samsung with the S5. Why you ask? Its advertised as IP67 Water Resistant. Not many phones are said to be water proof so any water damage will result in the same outcome.
    01-15-2015 01:15 AM
    Ugh. I would just go forward assuming it has no water protection.

Posted via Android Central App
    It does. And water cant short the usb port as its nano coated. Airboogie most likely had a faulty unit. Theres also reports about z3 water damage and. S5 water damage.
    01-15-2015 02:13 AM
    It does. And water cant short the usb port as its nano coated. Airboogie most likely had a faulty unit. Theres also reports about z3 water damage and. S5 water damage.
    Yep, though z3 claim a ip68 proof. One of my friends' z3 didn't perform that way. He was showing off the water resistant feature and took a 4k video underwater. And now his phone is buried in the rice bucket.
    I think the condition varies on each module. Droid turbo could definitely survive an accidental drop or daily splash. But, however, there's no chance I'll test it on purpose.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-15-2015 08:23 AM
    Yep, though z3 claim a ip68 proof. One of my friends' z3 didn't perform that way. He was showing off the water resistant feature and took a 4k video underwater. And now his phone is buried in the rice bucket.
    I think the condition varies on each module. Droid turbo could definitely survive an accidental drop or daily splash. But, however, there's no chance I'll test it on purpose.

Agreed
    01-15-2015 08:24 AM
    Where is/are the moisture indicator(s) on the Turbo?

I've found online photos on most other Motorola phones, but not the Turbo.
    02-04-2015 04:42 PM
    I agree that its not verizons fault. And it isnt fair to pull the 20 year customer card. The phone is what it is, thats why I have a lifeproof with the 1 year water protection warranty from lifeproof (dont think it will be used). I would say the phone is more waterproof than a rain storm, heck Ive had every phone get rain on it! First of all it is a thin coating over the electrical components meant to block the water and minerals from the phone. Think of it a undercoating a car. It wont stop rust from appearing, it simply blocks the unwanted materials.
    02-04-2015 07:39 PM
    I agree that its not verizons fault. And it isnt fair to pull the 20 year customer card. The phone is what it is, thats why I have a lifeproof with the 1 year water protection warranty from lifeproof (dont think it will be used). I would say the phone is more waterproof than a rain storm, heck Ive had every phone get rain on it! First of all it is a thin coating over the electrical components meant to block the water and minerals from the phone. Think of it a undercoating a car. It wont stop rust from appearing, it simply blocks the unwanted materials.
    I had my droid turbo for 14 days and it slipped out of my pocket and fell into a dog water pitcher , it was totally submerged and when I pulled it out it was making all kinds of noises and then went black. Dried it let it sit in rice for few days , will power on but touch screen doesn't respond to touching and shows phone in airplane mode then shuts off . I agree its a pretty expensive paper weight, wife didn't insure it but still kind of dumb to make such an expensive phone that can't swim
    02-17-2015 07:52 PM
    Why is it dumb to make it not waterproof? I agree they should, but most phones aren't (granted they are becoming more popular), I wouldn't trust a phone that claims to be waterproof there has been plenty of documented times when it failed. I would rely on a waterproof case.
    02-17-2015 08:00 PM
    I had my droid turbo for 14 days and it slipped out of my pocket and fell into a dog water pitcher , it was totally submerged and when I pulled it out it was making all kinds of noises and then went black. Dried it let it sit in rice for few days , will power on but touch screen doesn't respond to touching and shows phone in airplane mode then shuts off . I agree its a pretty expensive paper weight, wife didn't insure it but still kind of dumb to make such an expensive phone that can't swim
    Not that I don't sympathize, but there only a few phones that advertize waterproof. If that was an important feature, you should have gotten one of those, or paid for a warranty that included water damage. All phones are expensive. Very few of them are waterproof. There's nothing dumb happening in your scenario that's related to the phone construction.
    02-17-2015 08:36 PM
    Not that I don't sympathize, but there only a few phones that advertize waterproof. If that was an important feature, you should have gotten one of those, or paid for a warranty that included water damage. All phones are expensive. Very few of them are waterproof. There's nothing dumb happening in your scenario that's related to the phone construction.
    To add to this if someone does feel that waterproof is a necessity they should remember water resistance isn't waterproof.
    02-17-2015 10:37 PM
    I've seen the ads and read about it being ok in a sudden rainstorm or average spill, but would it survive a drop in a bucket of water for 5 seconds? The usb port with no cover makes me think it wouldn't. I know it's not IP-spec (or whatever) like the Galaxy S5, but can water get in the USB port and not kill it? Tried looking up in the manual that was leaked, but strangely, no one captured the manual from the ftp site and now the linked manual on motofirmware.com/ftp doesn't exist.
    Based on this thread alone, you'll quickly learn the Turbo is not submersible. Since it's only rated as water resistant, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4238416
    02-18-2015 10:40 AM
    Based on this thread alone, you'll quickly learn the Turbo is not submersible. Since it's only rated as water resistant, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4238416
    And that isn't the only one. I think we've had about 4 others report the same: quick drop and retrieval from the water, and dead.
    02-18-2015 05:28 PM
    And that isn't the only one. I think we've had about 4 others report the same: quick drop and retrieval from the water, and dead.
    A little Pepsi in my speaker blew the speaker completely. Granted Pepsi is acidic and not water but liquid damage either way.
    02-18-2015 05:46 PM
    Quick answer for the OP's question = not very.
    My Turbo was fully submerged in a bathtub for less than 5 seconds (my reflexes aren't what they should be when trying to relax) and it died within one minute of being retrieved. When the power button is depressed, it makes the start-up vibrations and sounds.. but no screen activation. I would highly recommend keeping this phone (and others) away from anything more than a light misty rain.. and even then take precautions.
    02-18-2015 06:41 PM
    If you phone gets wet you want to turn it off and leave it off until it is dried off. This may take a few days with the device in a desiccant. Rice will do in a pinch, but there are drying packs that contain silica gel or other desiccants easily available. Every time I get a device that has a silica gel packs (says "Do not eat") I add the pack into a my box of packs for use resurrecting devices. If something gets wet I throw it into the box and wait a few days.
    dungoyle likes this.
    02-19-2015 11:41 AM
    My question is, Would this handset have enough water resistance to survive being in my jersey pocket on a long bike ride? It'll be sweaty back there and typically, I throw my handset into a ziploc baggie before I ride.
    Am I going to have to do the same thing with this handset? Thanks in advance.
    04-07-2015 01:35 PM
    I would regardless, I wouldn't want my phone drenched in sweat...
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-07-2015 05:30 PM
    My question is, Would this handset have enough water resistance to survive being in my jersey pocket on a long bike ride? It'll be sweaty back there and typically, I throw my handset into a ziploc baggie before I ride.
    Am I going to have to do the same thing with this handset? Thanks in advance.
    Yea. You better continue the regime!

DRoID TuRBo this...
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-07-2015 08:13 PM
    So I just want to say that I am confused on whether or not they are waterproof. I dropped mine in the toilet and it survived that, my mom dropped her turbo in the dogs water dish and hers didn't have the same fate as mine. So it is a toss up between are they or aren't they.
    04-28-2015 10:44 PM
    So I just want to say that I am confused on whether or not they are waterproof. I dropped mine in the toilet and it survived that, my mom dropped her turbo in the dogs water dish and hers didn't have the same fate as mine. So it is a toss up between are they or aren't they.
    They are not water proof. There's no manufacturer documentation stating they are. They are more water resistant than the average phone, which is why you may or may not get lucky in a submerge scenario.
    88horizon5speed likes this.
    04-29-2015 09:38 AM
    Has anyone tested the nano coating feature on the turbo, I.e. dropped it in the toilet or what have you? Just really curious.

05-21-2015 11:30 AM
    I was actually caught in a rain storm three days ago and my kids soccer game. Turbo was fine, no worries.

Earlier in the year, I was playing golf, again...got caught in a rain..no worries with Turbo in rain and drizzle.

Plus, I use it when I work out and sweat gets all over Turbo. So any splashing, spilled drinks, rain..the Turbo will be just fine.

I don't believe it will survive being dropped in the toilet though. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TurboHope likes this.
    05-21-2015 11:59 AM
    Has anyone tested the nano coating feature on the turbo, I.e. dropped it in the toilet or what have you? Just really curious.

Dropped my Droid Turbo in a swimming pool that was 4 ft deep a few weeks ago... My phone has an Otterbox, the one without screen protection... So the charge port and headphone jack had the rubber plug in, but after jumping in to get the phone, the phone was still on and working... Little bit of water did come out of Jacks but not much... Previously before that, right after purchasing the phone, it was accidentally dropped in the toilet... Obviously the Phone must have some sort of coating! Thank goodness!!

TurboHope likes this.
    05-21-2015 02:17 PM
    You can go to youtube and see videos on water test. I dont worry as far as rain or getting splashed, but i certainly would not submerge it.

I like that motorola has had the nano coating for years, im surprised other main companies have not caught on to doing it.

05-21-2015 06:11 PM
66 123