How water resistant is the Droid Turbo?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the ads and read about it being ok in a sudden rainstorm or average spill, but would it survive a drop in a bucket of water for 5 seconds? The usb port with no cover makes me think it wouldn't. I know it's not IP-spec (or whatever) like the Galaxy S5, but can water get in the USB port and not kill it? Tried looking up in the manual that was leaked, but strangely, no one captured the manual from the ftp site and now the linked manual on motofirmware.com/ftp doesn't exist.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering the same thing. The Moto site calls it "water resistant" and VZW also talks about it being water repellent, but nobody claims that it is IP certified like the Z3 or S5. I have no desire to take it into a pool but you wonder how long it would survive in that type of situation.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Same nano coating as my wife's Droid RAZR M...and hers survived a full (accidental) dunk in the toilet!

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on what I've seen from phones that have the "nano coating", I trust Motorola's devices to be water resistant enough in those emergency situations. However, without an IP-rating, I'd be hesitant to dunk it in water for long periods of time just to test it.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't intentionally dunk it, so really am just curious if water in the port for just a few seconds will kill the phone. Glad to hear other moto phones have survived the dreaded toilet accident.

Posted via Android Central App

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't intentionally dunk it, so really am just curious if water in the port for just a few seconds will kill the phone. Glad to hear other moto phones have survived the dreaded toilet accident.

Posted via Android Central App

They may have survived......but they were changed forever! :confused:

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
This won't help. The water will evaporate, but the salt and minerals will be all over the circuit board and make it hell for the phone. And it will also corrode. Best thing for it is a soak in 90% alcohol and get a good scrubbing by a professional technician. However, if it works after ricing, consider yourself lucky! I hope it goes well! :) no droid left behind.

Posted via the Android Central App

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine took a 2 second dunk in an ocean and couldn't turn off, then died on me. I've been ricing it in a hot room...hope it works.

if you get it turned on, you better quickly back up anything that you want from the phone. Just because it came back doesn't mean that it would stay alive. My galaxy nexus was damaged by salt water, i pulled the battery and left it to dry for two days, it came back alive for about a week, then one morning it wouldn't wake up, just completely dead. I guess the minerals finally got to it.

TurboFast

Banned
Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
This won't help. The water will evaporate, but the salt and minerals will be all over the circuit board and make it hell for the phone. And it will also corrode. Best thing for it is a soak in 90% alcohol and get a good scrubbing by a professional technician. However, if it works after ricing, consider yourself lucky! I hope it goes well! :) no droid left behind.

The circuit board is nano coated to prevent any corrosion. My wifes nano coated Droid Razr M took a 5 second dunk in the toilet and after dabbing it with towels and letting it set out to dry, it worked fine afterward. DO NOT PUT YOUR DROID INTO ALCOHOL OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION. It will void your warranty, affect the nano coating, and defeat the purpose of the water resistant coating which the manufacturer already covered the phone, its ports, and its internal parts with. Just dry the phone very well and let it sit for a day or so before attempting to power on.

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
The circuit board is nano coated to prevent any corrosion. My wifes nano coated Droid Razr M took a 5 second dunk in the toilet and after dabbing it with towels and letting it set out to dry, it worked fine afterward. DO NOT PUT YOUR DROID INTO ALCOHOL OR ANY OTHER SOLUTION. It will void your warranty, affect the nano coating, and defeat the purpose of the water resistant coating which the manufacturer already covered the phone, its ports, and its internal parts with. Just dry the phone very well and let it sit for a day or so before attempting to power on.

Ah, yes. That is right. I forgot this thing had nanocoating on the circuit board. I'm used to fixing iPhones.

Abe Vigoda

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Don't drop it in water. I dropped mine in the bath tub when I dozed off for a second. I got it out 2-3 seconds after it hit the ground and pulled it out. It worked fine for about 30 seconds, then the screen started flickering. Then the screen went out and the phone started rebooting itself over and over again. It did come back with a flickery screen a little later. Then the screen went out and it went through it's rebooting pattern over and over. The following day it came back and went out on me maybe 2 or 3 times during the course of the day. Happy to say it's been fine for 3 days now.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Don't drop it in water. I dropped mine in the bath tub when I dozed off for a second. I got it out 2-3 seconds after it hit the ground and pulled it out. It worked fine for about 30 seconds, then the screen started flickering. Then the screen went out and the phone started rebooting itself over and over again. It did come back with a flickery screen a little later. Then the screen went out and it went through it's rebooting pattern over and over. The following day it came back and went out on me maybe 2 or 3 times during the course of the day. Happy to say it's been fine for 3 days now.

The key to rice treatment is to not try to power on the phone after it gets wet.. If it was on, try to power it off and put it into rice immediately after getting off/out any water you can (towel dry, shake out the ports). If you try to use it, internal moisture can damage it immediately with power applied. Let it sit fully covered in rice overnight at the minimum. I've seen the rice treatment work miracles on phones that were fully dunked but not on.

Posted via the Turbo

Last edited:

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Mine fell into the toilet for 2 seconds but was okay for it was in the OtterBox Commuter case with ports covered/ sealed

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
From what I've gathered, P2i's nanocoating is used on the Droid Turbo - the same used on the Moto X, Nexus 6, and many if not all of Motorola's smartphones from the past few years. Supposedly, this coating is applied to the ports and circuit board, as stated above. There's no waterproof rating but it's designed for splashes and rain. Btw, per P2i rep, they have a new "Dunkable" coating that has an IP67 rating and supposedly will be used on (some?) Motorola phones starting next year.

There aren't any Droid Turbo water tests that I know of, but I'm linking a couple for the Nexus 6 that show it to be working after partial and full submersions - not to dispute what anyone's said previously, but to show what may be the nanocoating's potential. The first video has it partially submerged for 1 hr, and the second video includes some wackiness where the dude is actually Qi charging briefly while fully submerged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_aTg1VU6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxiRSDF0Ke0

And now the caveats: 'don't try this at home' and don't be overconfident. Those videos don't guarantee anything (as others above will tell you) and keep in mind that we don't know if the same type of seals (if any) have been used on the Droid Turbo & Nexus 6. But, at least there's the possibility to be ok after a drop into some water - I know I feel a bit more at ease.

Finally, a couple of tips for people who dunk their phones: turn off the phone asap, shake out as much out as you can through the ports, and let it air out for at least a couple of days if possible. And I'd stay away from using a hair dryer on it. (EDIT: I didn't see the rice suggestion above before writing this, stellar advice!)

RT6

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I've seen this stuff used live. It's pretty amazing stuff. They sponsored a party I did security for at Sundance Film Festival. They had iPods and cell phones that they'd treated fully submerged in buckets of water with the ear buds sticking out, and the devices were playing, screens on, no issues whatsoever. If you're willing to drop money on a waterproof case, this is worth doing. liquipel.com/

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Really...do you need to take your phone into the bathroom with you? Tub, toilet, whatever. Time to reevaluate your lifestyle. Or get some serious insurance on your phone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781