11-18-2014 04:13 PM
71 123
tools
    I had read somewhere that a person used their old SIM card in their Turbo and it the mobile hotspot worked fine. I can't try this as my old phone used the larger SIMcard. Would having the Verizon replace the SIM card make a difference? Anyone out there about to try their previous SIM? It would be interesting to find out.
    10-31-2014 02:28 PM
    I had read somewhere that a person used their old SIM card in their Turbo and it the mobile hotspot worked fine. I can't try this as my old phone used the larger SIMcard. Would having the Verizon replace the SIM card make a difference? Anyone out there about to try their previous SIM? It would be interesting to find out.
    I think you might have solved it! All of these phones were shipped with preinstalled nano Sim cards. Maybe some of them were bad? Mine is working fine but others are not.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 02:36 PM
    I just put in the sim from my (still active) 2014 moto x. Tethering worked immediately.

Looks like it is a sim issue.
    10-31-2014 02:51 PM
    Who pays for tethering still when the FCC and courts have ruled that Verizon cannot prevent smartphone owners from using third party tethering apps (and the data they pay for) in whatever fashion they see fit?

FoxFi a.k.a PDANet functioned fine on my original Razr Maxx, and I can confirm it's working on stock Droid Turbo. And it costs $8, one time. That being said, I haven't tried the Wireless access point function, just USB tethering.

ZtO
    Thank you so much. I was dreading going to work today without a hotspot, but the USB tethering will do just fine. You rock dude.
    10-31-2014 02:52 PM
    USB tethering doesn't work either.
    10-31-2014 02:56 PM
    Same problem here, no hotspot. Called verizion, got to second level support and they opened a ticket to engineering. It worked on my old phone but as many have said, they did not transfer my SIM card because of new size. I mentioned the SIM card on the phone but the second level support person didn't think it was a factor
    10-31-2014 02:56 PM
    We purchased two Droid Turbos (64GB). Ended up returning a z3v for one of them. The one that was exchanged, they just used the SIM from the z3v. For mine (came from a Droid Maxx) they used the new Droid Turbo SIM. On my phone, the mobile hotspot does not work, on the other phone with the sim from the z3v, it works fine.

So definitely an issue with those using the mobile hotspot with the native Droid Turbo SIM.
    PeninaD likes this.
    10-31-2014 03:04 PM
    I think you might have solved it! All of these phones were shipped with preinstalled nano Sim cards. Maybe some of them were bad? Mine is working fine but others are not.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    Hey there, are you saying that foxfi mobile hotspot works on your Turbo? I get the following message "Your carrier has blocked WiFi mode in latest phone update. Please use USB mode or Bluetooth mode instead." Is this not the same for everyone... My phone or SIMBis defective?
    10-31-2014 03:06 PM
    Switching sim cards also fixed the tethering problem for me (old phone - Droid Maxx).
    10-31-2014 03:18 PM
    Switching sim cards also fixed the tethering problem for me (old phone - Droid Maxx).
    You went to the store to swap SIMs? I'll likely do that this evening.
    10-31-2014 03:19 PM
    USB tethering doesn't work either.
    It worked for me, I just tested it out. I downloaded the free foxfi version, installed PDAnet on my laptop, and it was good to go. Loaded a few websites, even did a speedtest on it, and I was pulling 12 megabits, which is on par with speedtest on my phone.
    10-31-2014 03:20 PM
    I found a short term work around until Verizon can figure it out...

Go into manage apps, all apps, and force stop the entitlement app.
    10-31-2014 04:15 PM
    Actually it may be a permanent solution, it survived a reboot.
    10-31-2014 04:19 PM
    I found a short term work around until Verizon can figure it out...

Go into manage apps, all apps, and force stop the entitlement app.
    This did not work for me. Neither did clearing data in this app.
    10-31-2014 04:37 PM
    I am paying for tethering on an unlimited plan, are you on a shared plan, or ?
    10-31-2014 04:39 PM
    Actually it may be a permanent solution, it survived a reboot.
    Still getting carrier blocked error
    10-31-2014 04:41 PM
    This did not work for me. Neither did clearing data in this app.
    Did not work for me either.
    10-31-2014 04:45 PM
    You guys have a payed tether plan and force stopped and then immediately started tether? The entitlement app does restart on its own so you have to be fast.

I have a an it ticket and network ticket open so maybe they fixed it and not what I did.
    10-31-2014 04:58 PM
    I'm sure you all have done this but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. I got the subscription message until I installed the system update. After the update, the hotspot works great. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-31-2014 05:19 PM
    I went to my local corporate Verizon Wireless store just now and finally convenienced the manager to swap SIM cards. It took what seemed like forever to activate the phone with the new SIM, but finally it activated. Still no Mobile Hotspot. I drove home and rebooted my phone several times. Now, guess what? The Mobile Hotspot is working. Maybe it took a few minutes after activation. I live about 10 minutes from the store. So from new SIM to working Mobile Hotspot took about 20 minutes give or take a few. There must be something to the SIM cards that shipped with the Turbo. Anyone else swap for a new SIM and get your Mobile Hotspot to work?
    10-31-2014 05:23 PM
    You guys have a payed tether plan and force stopped and then immediately started tether? The entitlement app does restart on its own so you have to be fast.

I have a an it ticket and network ticket open so maybe they fixed it and not what I did.
    Don't have payed plan for it and I'm on unlimited but foxfi always worked as a free no root hotspot maker.

Are the people having issues with turning hotspots on PERIOD or just free hotspot via apps like foxfi?
    10-31-2014 05:27 PM
    No mobile hot spot yesterday, but when I tried it this morning was active. I don't remember getting an update. Perhaps it takes a day for the feature to become active. Just guessing since I didn't do anything to activate it.
    edison
    10-31-2014 05:52 PM
    Mine started working in the last 5 minutes. No updates, just magically worked.
    10-31-2014 05:53 PM
    Don't have payed plan for it and I'm on unlimited but foxfi always worked as a free no root hotspot maker.

Are the people having issues with turning hotspots on PERIOD or just free hotspot via apps like foxfi?
    FoxFi mobile hotspot will not work with any Moto phones running KitKat.
    10-31-2014 05:53 PM
    I can confirm foxfi USB tethering works on turbo and windows 8 (not 8.1) I never use the WiFi tethering so have not tried it--USB mode has always been more consistent, generated less heat and drained less battery so I always use that.
    10-31-2014 05:55 PM
71 123