10-12-2015 05:30 PM
1,125 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    I saw a commercial stating 8 hours on a 15 min charge? I take it that is with a bunch of power saving things on?
    No, asleep or turned off only. Using the phone is against the battery's Terms of Service.
    11-03-2014 01:47 PM
    I saw a commercial stating 8 hours on a 15 min charge? I take it that is with a bunch of power saving things on?
    Let's just say very little screen use and no intensive data, apps, or syncing and then yes it's possible.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-03-2014 02:03 PM
    All I want to be able to do is unplug it in the morning and plug it in at bed time.... If it can last that long. I'm happy

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 02:29 PM
    All kidding aside, a 5 hour screen on time is excellent! When I first got my Maxx I would push 7 hour screen times, however, once the KK updates hit, my time was reduced to 4-5 hours. Updates do this to your phone. My brother had the same thing happen to him with his G2.

Also, beware, there are apps that don't show up in either GSam or stock Battery watcher. In addition, every device reports usage differently. For example, cell standby may be coupled with Android System or Android OS on other devices, (Not the turbo obv because cell standby is unusually high) Also, Facebook and Facebook Messenger do not show up on stats when it fetches data or syncs in the background. Only actual usage time of the app will display as a loss. Sometimes it is hard to find apps and processes that drain battery. GSam is excellent for finding those rogue apps that go haywire and wreck battery, but sometimes you need to investigate a bit more into it. Social media apps use a lot of battery life, Facebook much more than Instagram, which surprisingly doesn't use much. I merely scratched the surface on how battery life may be affected by certain apps.

I bought the Droid Turbo so that I don't have to Sherlock Holmes check my entire phone's system and kernel processes because I know that I have enough battery to run what I like. On my Galaxy Nexus, my battery was so bad that I had all of the location settings off, most of the syncs off, including what I consider necessary Google account sync settings, screen brightness set to 0 at all times, and a ton of other things that I would have liked to have on. It was ridiculous... I told myself that I never want to be in that position again. The Maxx relieved me of my anxiety, and the Turbo continues to do so. The Turbo has the best battery life on the market, although WE don't get the claimed "Two days of use" there are people out there who do. Like one member said in another post: "If we are posting on these forums, we are most likely heavy (heavier) users" so we do not fall into that category. For what the Turbo has, I am very impressed with the battery life, as I was concerned because of the qHD display.
    I totally agree, and that micromanaging anxiety was totally alleviated with the Maxx, but I'm not quite there with the Turbo. I agree, before the updates to my Maxx, I could push 7 hours and that was a long time ago. 4-5 hours screen time is serviceable to me but this phone seems to lose battery when idle faster, so that I can't spread my usage out over 2 days like I could with my Maxx.
    11-03-2014 02:44 PM
    I think a lot of people are confusing the Maxx's battery life with the Turbo's battery life because of the battery readings. My Maxx would hold what appeared to be a 100% charge for a long time, but would then seemingly discharge a little more quickly afterwards. Also, I noticed that once my Maxx hit the 67 or 68% mark, it would fly down to about 62% within minutes, even if idled. The phone would do the same thing around 27%. I'd put it down for 15 minutes and come back to see it at 19%.

The Turbo is far more consistent with battery drainage. I think people are thinking their Maxx had significantly better battery life, but that is partially an illusion due to the inconsistent discharge readings.

Also, for those who believe that the Maxx had significantly better battery life than the Turbo, I suggest turning down screen brightness if you can bear it. The Maxx's screen was only 720, so it could withstand more brightness. If you run the Turbo's incredible screen on close to max brightness, that sucks a lot of juice. I've been at about 10% brightness indoors and 40% outdoors. That's plenty for me.
    100% agree that the readings seem more accurate on the Turbo, and the random jumps do not seem to happen like they did with the Maxx like you described, but in the end I've been charging my phone as soon as I get home because I'm around 10%, whereas with my Maxx, I would almost never have to do so until it was time for bed, much later on. Translation, not as good battery life in my opinion so far
    11-03-2014 02:57 PM
    All kidding aside, a 5 hour screen on time is excellent!
    What I find funny is that some expected the X to get 5 hours... Some X users are reporting 3-4 hours just fine. Either way, glad the Turbo is performing well in the battery department.
    11-03-2014 03:11 PM
    I think people are overlooking Lollipop's Project Volta. With 40% improvements being reported in prerelease images on the Nexus 5, imagine what are results will be.

If you haven't already read up on what Volta does. One of the features mentioned was reducing what goes on when your phone is idle. Any idle power problems that we have now may very well be gone before the end of the year once we have Lollipop.
    11-03-2014 03:11 PM
    So put back on turbo charger....brought it up to 72% in about 20-25 mins. I had to leave so that was the most time to charge. Look at the drop.

Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-1915.jpg  
    11-03-2014 03:17 PM
    No, asleep or turned off only. Using the phone is against the battery's Terms of Service.
    LMAO. Hey Robisan, food you end up getting a Turbo?

11-03-2014 03:22 PM
    I think people are overlooking Lollipop's Project Volta. With 40% improvements being reported in prerelease images on the Nexus 5, imagine what are results will be.

If you haven't already read up on what Volta does. One of the features mentioned was reducing what goes on when your phone is idle. Any idle power problems that we have now may very well be gone before the end of the year once we have Lollipop.
    +1

And don't forget that KitKat has never been as battery friendly as ICS and JB

11-03-2014 03:25 PM
    So put back on turbo charger....brought it up to 72% in about 20-25 mins. I had to leave so that was the most time to charge. Look at the drop.

Do you have Wi-Fi set to always on under Wifi advanced settings? What about the Always Scanning for networks option? Those are both battery killers.

PeninaD likes this.
    11-03-2014 03:26 PM
    Do you have Wi-Fi set to always on under Wifi advanced settings? What about the Always Scanning for networks option? Those are both battery killers.

Changing those settings now

11-03-2014 03:41 PM
    Changing those settings now

Let us know later this eve if any better.

11-03-2014 03:44 PM
    LMAO. Hey Robisan, food you end up getting a Turbo?

Still undecided.
    11-03-2014 03:55 PM
    Still undecided.
    You sure seem to know a lot about the Turbo for not owning one :P

11-03-2014 03:57 PM
    I'm only pointing out that I've become accustomed to better. I would have questioned this upgrade if I knew that the battery life on this phone was not as good as the Maxx. It's still too early to know for sure, but my initial impression has me a little concerned.
    Me too, but what other phone would be close to the Droid Turbo?

11-03-2014 04:09 PM
    I decided to do a test of my own. Started out at 100% off the TYLT VU wireless charger, at the 50% point and I am very happy with the resuts. Auto brighness, wifi on, gps on, bt off. Was consciously trying to flip it face down to avoid all the Moto display triggers. When I went to bed it at 10:30pm Turbo was at 72%, first look at the phone aprox 10:50am, at 65%. Mails, texts, kik message came through during that time. Very normal usage time, texts, FB, Kik, email, GN, browsing and Nfl updates, IG, Tumblr. I will say when I first got it I was power using it and still made it a full day. I'll update the stats closer to the 10% mark.Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-14-31-28.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-14-31-48.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-14-31-59.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-14-49-48.jpg
    Postoid likes this.
    11-03-2014 04:51 PM
    Me too, but what other phone would be close to the Droid Turbo?

I haven't tested many other phones as extensively, but today I happened to be working with a colleague who has an S5. I asked if I could check his stats because I was just approaching the 50% mark, and I was curious. He obliged, and to my surprise he was at 58%. My screen time was at 2.16 hours and his was 2.09. I would say that's pretty good life for the S5. Again, I don't know how far that 58% will get him, but I'd say that's pretty good battery life. What we were doing with our screen time is a different story. I was mostly on email, and I think he was mostly texting. I also had 1 hour of phone calls, while he had only about 15 min., which is obviously a significant difference.

Separately, I'm at 28% now and it's only 5pm. My Maxx never once got this low until around 8pm. I expect to get more out of this 28% than I would from 28% left on the Maxx, but I do expect I'll need to charge before the night is up.
    11-03-2014 05:00 PM
    Not to bad I guess. Could be a bit better .
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-16-56-36.jpg  
    11-03-2014 05:01 PM
    I haven't tested many other phones as extensively, but today I happened to be working with a colleague who has an S5. I asked if I could check his stats because I was just approaching the 50% mark, and I was curious. He obliged, and to my surprise he was at 58%. My screen time was at 2.16 hours and his was 2.09. I would say that's pretty good life for the S5. Again, I don't know how far that 58% will get him, but I'd say that's pretty good battery life. What we were doing with our screen time is a different story. I was mostly on email, and I think he was mostly texting. I also had 1 hour of phone calls, while he had only about 15 min., which is obviously a significant difference.

Separately, I'm at 28% now and it's only 5pm. My Maxx never once got this low until around 8pm. I expect to get more out of this 28% than I would from 28% left on the Maxx, but I do expect I'll need to charge before the night is up.
    I just came from the s5. With auto brightness, WiFi on at all times, location on high accuracy, BT off I would get anywhere from 3.5-4.5 hours of screen time mixed between WiFi and 4g. Maybe 4.5 - 5hrs if I was WiFi all day and maybe 3.5-4hrs on 4g all day. Pretty good but I'm averaging around 6-6.5hrs hours screen on time on the turbo so far mixed between WiFi and 4g. Same settings also.
    11-03-2014 05:08 PM
    Let's just say very little screen use and no intensive data, apps, or syncing and then yes it's possible.

Ah that's what I figured.
    11-03-2014 05:10 PM
    Why do I seem to have so many more wakelocks than anyone else here while my screen is off? I don't have any social networking refreshing at all. What else could it be? Do I get that much email? I can't determine from the program list or Gsam what is waking up my phone other than "Android OS".
    Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-16-40-10.jpg
    11-03-2014 05:43 PM
    I was pretty heavy with maps on it today but much better than the old 4s lol. One thing I have noticed though is that sometimes it only says charging and others it says Turbo charger detected. Anyone else seeing that?

Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2014-11-03-16-52-06.jpg
    11-03-2014 06:26 PM
    You sure seem to know a lot about the Turbo for not owning one :P

I try to be an informed consumer ... which translates in reality to a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    11-03-2014 06:42 PM
    Well, this sucks....two plug ins, one brought up to 72% the second to 45% this is nuts. I'm thinking bad battery

Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-1923.jpg  
    11-03-2014 07:44 PM
1,125 ... 910111213 ...