10-12-2015 04:30 PM
1,125 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    I just got this phone yesterday and my battery seem to be draining pretty fast and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make it last longer or if this will get better overtime?
    There is alot of debate and differing opinions in this and other forums about how to save battery life. I would highly suggest starting on page 1 of this specific forum. There is some really good information in here. Not being a tech person shouldn't hurt you at all. Just try some of the settings suggested and if they don't work reverse the setting. Another good forum is what apps are safe to disable. I disable quite alot and some users dont. Some in here, like myself, go to the extreme with settings but some are power users. Give it a try. You can always do a factory reset if you mess something up. And if your not sure send someone a PM message or post it here. Good luck and welcome to AC.
    11-18-2014 02:20 PM
    Sounds a lot like what I'm doing, except I turned off moto assist stuff because it was annoying and have never used google now. Either my battery is taking forever to wear in, or I've got a dud.

11-18-2014 03:41 PM
    I dont think thats bad at all. Im not an expert but 27 % use with 8 hrs up time and over an hour of screen time isnt bad.
    11-18-2014 04:05 PM
    Strange things are going on with my battery stats. It has been off the charger for 13 hours and has lost 2% battery life. It's been a normal day with calls, texting, FB,IG, Kik, browsing. I rebooted, unfortunately before getting a screenshot, thinking it was reporting the stats wrong. Nope, after reboot 97%

Has anyone experienced this? Not that I am complaining, that's awesome battery life, but very curious as to what is going on.
    11-18-2014 08:54 PM
    So get a load of this. At bedtime last night I had ~40% of power left. I figured I would let it go the night and charge in the morning.

Well it turns out that the phone's discharge rate not only went up overnight, but check out all the CRAZY discharging going on near the end of the phone's life there. What the devil could cause that???

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-uploadfromtaptalk1416395611475.jpg  
    11-19-2014 05:13 AM
    Surprisingly, after clearing the system cache, I'm noticing a noticeable gain in battery life. Had 16 hours of on time, 30% battery left, and 4.5 hours of screen in time when I went to sleep. Now THATS impressive. My battery was mediocre before I reset the system cache

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 07:18 AM
    So get a load of this. At bedtime last night I had ~40% of power left. I figured I would let it go the night and charge in the morning.

Well it turns out that the phone's discharge rate not only went up overnight, but check out all the CRAZY discharging going on near the end of the phone's life there. What the devil could cause that???

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    Install gsam battery monitor and let it run. Give that a night. It will tell you what's running in the background. There is something running in the background that's discharging the battery.
    11-19-2014 07:54 AM
    Strange things are going on with my battery stats. It has been off the charger for 13 hours and has lost 2% battery life. It's been a normal day with calls, texting, FB,IG, Kik, browsing. I rebooted, unfortunately before getting a screenshot, thinking it was reporting the stats wrong. Nope, after reboot 97%

Has anyone experienced this? Not that I am complaining, that's awesome battery life, but very curious as to what is going on.
    Happened to me yesterday, I knew something was odd after taking it off the charger and using it for 30 mins and it only went down by 1%, after a few reboots it finally showed the correct stats in the evenning, dropped from 89 to 70% after the last reboot that I did.
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    11-19-2014 08:26 AM
    Install gsam battery monitor and let it run. Give that a night. It will tell you what's running in the background. There is something running in the background that's discharging the battery.
    I actually did have Gsam running, but I don't think it keeps history after a reboot.
    11-19-2014 10:38 AM
    After running for a couple weeks on the OEM software, I took the update yesterday and will do some comparison tests. Lately, on the old software and optimized pretty much via AC tips, I've been getting 50-55 hours to 10-15% and usually 3-4 hours of screen time. However, after determining the gross battery life in normal use, I've dropped deep discharge in favor of putting it on the charger every night, generally when it's reading 50-65% and leaving it overnight. I'll stop that briefly, with the new software, and test the deep discharge rate again. I also picked up some sort of a 'cleaner' app to clear out all the cache stuff and bloatware remnants so will see if that helps at all. It certainly did free up some ROM space.
    11-19-2014 10:45 AM
    After running for a couple weeks on the OEM software, I took the update yesterday and will do some comparison tests. Lately, on the old software and optimized pretty much via AC tips, I've been getting 50-55 hours to 10-15%
    You own an aftermarket battery company. Constantly deep discharging the battery like that is going to mean a new battery a lot sooner than you should have to. The longest battery life cones when charging at the 40%-60% point. Considering that you have to pay for labor to replace that battery, that should be a consideration. Add the terriffic abuse the turbo charging does to the battery and I think we'll be hearing a lot of screams before the end of 2015.
    11-19-2014 10:55 AM
    I've replaced batteries before and you'll notice that I stopped deep discharging it just charging it after I determined how it did

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 11:09 AM
    My battery life is not as good today, and I checked my wake locks on GSAM.

Anybody know what this might be?

I cleared my partition catche yesterday. Any chance this could have changed something?
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-1416443989847.jpg  
    11-19-2014 06:41 PM
    Hit the google button from the screenshot you posted. The second search result explains it great. It has to do with the connection between your phone and cell tower.
    11-19-2014 07:05 PM
    I just got the phone and got about 26 hours out of it and am at 2%. Had about 4.5 hours of screen time (facebook, email, chrome) and 1hr 35min talk time.

Is that good?

Also is there anything I need to do to condition the battery? Do I let it completely drain to 0% my first few uses and charge to full from there?
    11-20-2014 09:17 AM
    I just got the phone and got about 26 hours out of it and am at 2%. Had about 4.5 hours of screen time (facebook, email, chrome) and 1hr 35min talk time.

Is that good?

Also is there anything I need to do to condition the battery? Do I let it completely drain to 0% my first few uses and charge to full from there?
    Yes that is good, I personally don't do any conditioning, use it, charge it at the end of the night.
    11-20-2014 09:48 AM
    I'm kind of disappointed in this battery. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (XT912), and while that phone's battery was definitely degraded by the time I picked up my Turbo, I was hoping for better results. I've cleared all bloatware, leaving Moto Voice and all of those nice components on, cleared my cache, and used my Turbo normally for about a week (mainly to let the battery 'condition' itself like many posters on this forum say is important before judging battery life). Mainly to try and figure out a good baseline, I was on high accuracy location mode, didn't connect to WiFi, and left bluetooth off on this charge.

I took it off the charger yesterday at around 5:45PM, and used it sparingly all night. at 10:40AM today, I'm down to 40% with less than 1.5 hours of SoT.

Here are my Gsam stats and stock battery stats:
    Droid Turbo: Battery Life-2014-11-22-15.30.58.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-2014-11-22-15.31.08.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-2014-11-22-15.31.31.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-2014-11-22-15.31.41.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-2014-11-22-15.31.48.jpg

What do y'all think? I didn't really look into battery life with my Razr Maxx too much so I don't really know what's normal for useage and what's not, but I was hoping that with relatively low SoT, I'd be getting better results (my brightness is at 25%). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    11-22-2014 09:46 AM
    App and kernel look to high to me. Try running in safe mode with the stock launcher and watch your stats before and after using certain apps.
    Chaumander likes this.
    11-22-2014 09:59 AM
    App and kernel look to high to me. Try running in safe mode with the stock launcher and watch your stats before and after using certain apps.
    Will do. I'll charge it a bit and run, run the rest of the day in safe mode, and report back. Do you think there's any possibility my phone is a dud? Also--I did take the recent system update 21.21.15 before taking it off charger yesterday.
    11-22-2014 10:09 AM
    "I'm kind of disappointed in this battery. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (XT912), and while that phone's battery was definitely degraded by the time I picked up my Turbo, I was hoping for better results. I've cleared all bloatware, leaving Moto Voice and all of those nice components on, cleared my cache, and used my Turbo normally for about a week (mainly to let the battery 'condition' itself like many posters on this forum say is important before judging battery life). Mainly to try and figure out a good baseline, I was on high accuracy location mode, didn't connect to WiFi, and left bluetooth off on this charge.

I took it off the charger yesterday at around 5:45PM, and used it sparingly all night. at 10:40AM today, I'm down to 40% with less than 1.5 hours of SoT."

High accuracy location mode will make a difference. Unless you need it shut it off and see what that does. Your held awake time is high compared to screen time. I wonder if the high accuracy location mode is causing that.
    The second photo, app sucker screen, has a drop down at the top that allows you to see the wake locks. Check that. Theres a pretty good youtube video from a guy that gets great battery life. Ill post the link here. Some of the setting he uses are great but might be extreme for someone else. I am pretty extreme with my setting and use Tasker to get those results. Back in this thread are some really good suggestions. Check them out.
    rxgadget likes this.
    11-22-2014 10:09 AM
    Will do. I'll charge it a bit and run, run the rest of the day in safe mode, and report back. Do you think there's any possibility my phone is a dud? Also--I did take the recent system update 21.21.15 before taking it off charger yesterday.
    I've also taken the update without issue.

Some things I've done are as follows:

Google settings - turn off both options listed in android device manager. Turn off location reporting and location history under Google location reporting. I leave mode set to high accuracy for other apps.

Moto settings - I leave Moto display active but turn off Moto actions. I don't need motion and those sensors eat battery.

Here's what my drain looks like right now.
    11-22-2014 10:33 AM
    cyberr8der - thanks for the reply. i did have both remotely locate this device and allow remote lock and erase unchecked in android device manager. i don't have location reporting disabled because I actually like the tracking feature that Google does. I live in NYC so it's neat to be able to see all the places I've been going to.

mobrules - thanks for the suggestion. i'll check out that video!

cyberr8der - I can't successfully boot into safe mode for some reason. Launcher3 won't... launch. I get an error message saying that "Unfortunately Launcher3 has stopped" and the message pops back up after hitting OK. I'm unable to proceed...
    11-22-2014 10:50 AM
    You may need to make sure the stock launcher is set as your default launcher before you can boot into safe mode.
    11-22-2014 10:52 AM
    I've come to terms with the fact that the only way to get good battery life with the turbo is to handcuff your phone and turn off all fun features.

I think moto screwed up somewhere with the software and there's something sucking the battery when it shouldn't.
    11-22-2014 11:30 AM
    The more sensors and tracking you want on the worse you're battery will run. Location tracking needs to be done better in my opinion.
    11-22-2014 11:35 AM
1,125 ... 2526272829 ...