10-12-2015 05:30 PM
1,125 ... 3839404142 ...
tools
    If your returning the phone in the hopes that another phone will get this good of battery life, I wouldn't do it. I've seen people say their new G3 or S5 gets better battery life and I call bullsht. There is no way. Especially how the Turbo doesn't have all the bloatware skin crap the others have. Even with 1 d and 9 h of battery life why go through returning a great phone?
    The Verizon S5 doesn't get better battery than the Turbo. However, its possible a GSM S5 does because Verizon sucks battery dry faster.
    01-14-2015 03:09 PM
    And another Turbo Charge with better results than regular charges. I think its obvious now that our phone batteries were made to utilize turbo charging. However, that doesn't answer the question of long-term negative impact from the heat generated during turbo charging.
    Droid Turbo: Battery Life-1421355032912.jpgDroid Turbo: Battery Life-1421355042197.jpg
    01-15-2015 03:50 PM
    This is an average day for me. I could get another hour probably, but this is around the time I usually plug it in before bed. Again, this is the best battery life I have ever had. I'm still extremely satisfied with the battery and phone. I love to see the iPhone people charging their phones every few hrs because the battery won't last

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-12873.jpg  
    01-15-2015 09:19 PM
    Based on suggestions here, I went and download/installed GSam to my Turbo. Anything special that I have to do to it in order to get it up and running? I basically just fired it up and that was it.
    01-16-2015 07:45 AM
    Based on suggestions here, I went and download/installed GSam to my Turbo. Anything special that I have to do to it in order to get it up and running? I basically just fired it up and that was it.
    That's it. Just let it run for a few charge cycles and collect data. I really use it a lot. Helps to see what's going on in the background and what apps are using the battery.
    01-16-2015 09:55 AM
    fir anyone worried about negative impacts of turbo charging...its the same as laptops. Each laptop has a unique voltage for its charger, typically depending on how powerful the computer is. The more capable and bigger and badder the laptop, the higher the specs on the charger. Now that smartphones are becoming more capable it is necessary to have higher charging voltages otherwise our 3900 mah battery would take forever to charge. It isnt bad for the battery. It is designed for that. And as to heat damage, i dont think you should worry. To be safe I lean my phone side propped up on an object to dissipate heat better. But in the end motorola has designed the phone to be used with the charger it supplied
    hannsoft likes this.
    01-16-2015 10:53 AM
    The problem is, you can't say that with confidence. Heat is a battery's enemy, the battery gets hot on a turbo charge. So you can't say, "Oh, it'll be fine," and pass that off as a good resolution.

Companies don't always have the customer's best interest in mind. At the point when the battery may fail due to the heat, it'll be out of warranty and Moto will say, "Oh well!"
    01-17-2015 10:53 AM
    There has been a lot written on LI battery life; some I agree with, some I don't. I did some research on the number of charging cycles you should get out of your battery. That is how many times you can charge your battery before it really starts to show degradation. I found that LI batteries do not like to be fully depleted. When you drain your battery down to low charges like 5% you are decreasing the life of the battery. LI batteries like to be charged more times at lesser amounts. The number of charging cycles your battery is good for depends on the depth of the charges. If you let your battery drain to 5% you will get less charging cycles than if you topped the battery of at 75%. If you let the battery drain 100% you will only get 300-500 charging cycles. However, if you only let your battery drain to 75% before charging you will should get 2000-2500 charging cycles. To me this means that if you are only topping up your phone 25-50% with the Turbo charger you are getting more charging cycles, more battery life, and less heat generated from longer charging intervals. Therefore, I am charging my battery more often when possible and not letting it run for 1 1/2-2 days unless I have to. I guess only time will tell but it makes sense to me.
    01-17-2015 12:34 PM
    Another regular charger charge. More screen time, and WeatherBug drank some juice for some reason.
    Hmmm...interesting. I had WeatherBug consume 18% of my battery overnight on the 15th-16th. It happened to you on the 11th. I wonder why?
    01-17-2015 02:16 PM
    Hmmm...interesting. I had WeatherBug consume 18% of my battery overnight on the 15th-16th. It happened to you on the 11th. I wonder why?
    Hasn't done it since, so not sure what it was.
    01-17-2015 02:22 PM
    yes it is true about how you shouldn't deplete them. The general rule of thumb is to charge it when it gets to around 25%. If you charged it every time it went down to 75 you'd be charging like 5 times a day so even though you'd get around "2000" it would be worth it.

General rule of thumb is charging at 25%. With that I am getting between 2-3 days of battery life which in turn like you said should help prolong your battery life. Its also recommended that every 30 days you run your battery down to 5% to calibrate your phones battery sensor. Not the battery like old NiCads but the sensor that displays the battery %
    01-17-2015 08:49 PM
    That was one reason I switched to Accuweather. Another is that Weatherbug can take SO long to come up.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    01-19-2015 07:11 AM
    yes it is true about how you shouldn't deplete them. The general rule of thumb is to charge it when it gets to around 25%. If you charged it every time it went down to 75 you'd be charging like 5 times a day so even though you'd get around "2000" it would be worth it.

General rule of thumb is charging at 25%. With that I am getting between 2-3 days of battery life which in turn like you said should help prolong your battery life. Its also recommended that every 30 days you run your battery down to 5% to calibrate your phones battery sensor. Not the battery like old NiCads but the sensor that displays the battery %
    I am getting about the same. I would classify myself as a light user. In general, I use about 25% of the battery in a day, and then recharge the 3rd day with the quick charger.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    01-19-2015 07:20 AM
    My recent battery life is about 8 hours max. I am a heavy user. I will be posting GSam screenshots shortly

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    01-19-2015 03:16 PM
    Here is my battery info
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-1421800310895.jpg  
    01-20-2015 07:32 PM
    Very happy with this battery. Seems to be getting better by the week.
    Yeah, only 3 hours SOT, but it's still at 55% remaining as well.
    Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2015-01-22-00-11-15.jpg   Droid Turbo: Battery Life-screenshot_2015-01-22-00-11-22.jpg  
    01-22-2015 08:44 PM
    I'm having issues finding consistency with the Turbo's battery memory / calibration. I generally get the estimated two days of battery life with four hours SOT, according to GSam battery monitor. However, any time I use my phone for non-typical use, e.g. Waze or Google Maps navigation, it completely screws up the Turbo's battery calibration. Even after a full turbocharge, it will continue to "drain" at least twice as fast as usual during normal use. Anyone else familiar with this? Clearing my cache partition seems to fix this, but that's not a solution, and I do not want to have to do this every time I want to use GPS.

01-22-2015 09:31 PM
    Best charge duration yet.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk
    01-22-2015 11:44 PM
    There isn't anything wrong with your phone, if you use any type of navigation app or anything similar it will drain your battery very quickly. It is usually recommended to leave plugged in while using GPS. Cleaning cache or anything else wont really help much. Its just the nature of the beast. Funny story, with my old phone, my Gnex, even with the phone plugged in and charging, Grand theft auto and navigation apps would use so much battery at times that it would slow down the battery drain but it would still be draining! Basically while using GPS or navigation your battery will drain alot quicker and it is very normal and very typical for all phones.

What you CAN do is turn off GPS and restart your phone when your done with navigation to close all services associated with navigation
    01-23-2015 09:53 AM
    If your battery drains AFTER using navigation, make sure to exit out so your phone still isn't tracking your every move after that. You can also shut GPS off too just to make sure. But yes, GPS will tend to drain your battery a lot quicker.
    01-23-2015 10:44 AM
    I understand that gps and nav will eat up my battery. Let me clarify -

Let's say as an example, for a while, I am using my phone normally, getting 48hr life with 4-5hr SOT. Then, one day I use my gps for about 1-1.5 hours. My battery life on that charge cycle ends up around 30hr and 3-4hr screen on. From that day on, I return to regular use but now my battery drains twice as fast as normal, 24-30hr with only 2-3hr screen time, and it will continue like this indefinitely. Only clearing my cache partition resolves what I am assuming is a miscalibration due to varying usage.

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with any battery calibration issues, as it seems odd that the turbo would be so susceptible to outliers in usage stats.

01-23-2015 10:54 AM
    Sorry to ask, but in the context of this thread, what is SOT? I've search online, but none of the acronyms I've found make sense.
    01-23-2015 02:47 PM
    Sorry to ask, but in the context of this thread, what is SOT? I've search online, but none of the acronyms I've found make sense.
    Screen On Time.

01-23-2015 02:59 PM
    As I said earlier, if your phones battery is still draining after using GPS, restart your phone when your done using navigation
    01-23-2015 03:57 PM
    As I said earlier, if your phones battery is still draining after using GPS, restart your phone when your done using navigation
    He shouldn't have to. I don't. I think he's trying to figure out why his phone seems to necessitate doing it.

hannsoft likes this.
    01-23-2015 04:07 PM
1,125 ... 3839404142 ...