Droid Turbo: Battery Life

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
That looks normal for all that you're running, especially the battery hogging Facebook and FB Chat. How many hours of screen time is the real question?

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Less than three hours screen time and it didn't cut on at all while I was sleep. 0 screen time between the time I took those screen shots

Posted via the Android Central App

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
For those interested here are my stats after my first 100% charge. My screen is on Auto, 4G, WiFi, & GPS all turned on, 4 weather widgets running updating every 30 minutes (yes four to see which is most accurate), 2 emails accounts updating every 15 minutes and just over an hour of phone calls.

I'm pretty happy with the time on battery...40 hours.

View attachment 145518View attachment 145519View attachment 145520

Can you post your graph so we can see how the usage is spread out? This is substantially better than I'm getting.

I keep waking up in the morning with 6 hours unplugged, phone relatively idle, just receiving messages and maybe some emails, with only 90%.

My Maxx used to receive all this stuff overnight and still be at 95%-97%.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Less than three hours screen time and it didn't cut on at all while I was sleep. 0 screen time between the time I took those screen shots

Hmmmm... Something might be amiss. Did you take the system update?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
@jec11718 If you haven't already, go into Settings > Accounts > Google and turn off syncing for all Google services you're not using. I believe the default is to sync everything and, at least for me, I don't use most of them.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
A resounding YES. Did you take the plastic off the screen?

I'll update now. The plastic is still on my phone. As soon as my brother in law took the plastic off his m8 he put a scratch on it. I am very weird about that kind of stuff.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Still not dead yet. Also I still haven't taken the system update.

Attachments

• 237.jpg
    237.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 238.jpg
    238.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 143

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm only pointing out that I've become accustomed to better. I would have questioned this upgrade if I knew that the battery life on this phone was not as good as the Maxx. It's still too early to know for sure, but my initial impression has me a little concerned.

All kidding aside, a 5 hour screen on time is excellent! When I first got my Maxx I would push 7 hour screen times, however, once the KK updates hit, my time was reduced to 4-5 hours. Updates do this to your phone. My brother had the same thing happen to him with his G2.

Also, beware, there are apps that don't show up in either GSam or stock Battery watcher. In addition, every device reports usage differently. For example, cell standby may be coupled with Android System or Android OS on other devices, (Not the turbo obv because cell standby is unusually high) Also, Facebook and Facebook Messenger do not show up on stats when it fetches data or syncs in the background. Only actual usage time of the app will display as a loss. Sometimes it is hard to find apps and processes that drain battery. GSam is excellent for finding those rogue apps that go haywire and wreck battery, but sometimes you need to investigate a bit more into it. Social media apps use a lot of battery life, Facebook much more than Instagram, which surprisingly doesn't use much. I merely scratched the surface on how battery life may be affected by certain apps.

I bought the Droid Turbo so that I don't have to Sherlock Holmes check my entire phone's system and kernel processes because I know that I have enough battery to run what I like. On my Galaxy Nexus, my battery was so bad that I had all of the location settings off, most of the syncs off, including what I consider necessary Google account sync settings, screen brightness set to 0 at all times, and a ton of other things that I would have liked to have on. It was ridiculous... I told myself that I never want to be in that position again. The Maxx relieved me of my anxiety, and the Turbo continues to do so. The Turbo has the best battery life on the market, although WE don't get the claimed "Two days of use" there are people out there who do. Like one member said in another post: "If we are posting on these forums, we are most likely heavy (heavier) users" so we do not fall into that category. For what the Turbo has, I am very impressed with the battery life, as I was concerned because of the qHD display.

Last edited:

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Guys, dropping to 99% or 98% very quickly should be of no concern. When you charge your phone, it charges to 100% and then trickles down back to around 95 or 96%, then charges back to 100%, and back down to 95%, etc., etc. This is to prevent over-charging and is the current technology used by lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries. So, when you take your phone off the charger, the battery meter may show 100%, but it's really probably somewhere between 95-100%. The "drop" from 100% down to 98% is really just the battery meter calibrating itself and providing you the accurate percentage. You'll probably notice that once the phone meter gets down to 95% or so, it discharges more consistently.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Same reason I bought the Turbo. I'm tired of crippling and micromanaging my smartphone. I want it to be as Smart and as pleasurable to use as possible. No more sherlocking it for me. Just good old Turbo speed for Days! Best. Phone. Ever.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Same reason I bought the Turbo. I'm tired of crippling and micromanaging my smartphone. I want it to be as Smart and as pleasurable to use as possible. No more sherlocking it for me. Just good old Turbo speed for Days! Best. Phone. Ever.

We're ridin the same wave. I never thought there would be an Android phone that I had almost no desire to root... Then came the Maxx, and now came the Turbo.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of people are confusing the Maxx's battery life with the Turbo's battery life because of the battery readings. My Maxx would hold what appeared to be a 100% charge for a long time, but would then seemingly discharge a little more quickly afterwards. Also, I noticed that once my Maxx hit the 67 or 68% mark, it would fly down to about 62% within minutes, even if idled. The phone would do the same thing around 27%. I'd put it down for 15 minutes and come back to see it at 19%.

The Turbo is far more consistent with battery drainage. I think people are thinking their Maxx had significantly better battery life, but that is partially an illusion due to the inconsistent discharge readings.

Also, for those who believe that the Maxx had significantly better battery life than the Turbo, I suggest turning down screen brightness if you can bear it. The Maxx's screen was only 720, so it could withstand more brightness. If you run the Turbo's incredible screen on close to max brightness, that sucks a lot of juice. I've been at about 10% brightness indoors and 40% outdoors. That's plenty for me.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
@jec11718 If you haven't already, go into Settings > Accounts > Google and turn off syncing for all Google services you're not using. I believe the default is to sync everything and, at least for me, I don't use most of them.

Thanks, will do...still not great but hoping it settles down.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is really ugly...fully charged when unplugged this morning 3.5 hours ago and screen at half brightness

Attachments

• 1914.jpg
    1914.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 126

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
This is really ugly...fully charged when unplugged this morning 3.5 hours ago

Gotta be an app or game you downloaded. Have you tried the GSam battery monitor? It has a feature called AppSucker that shows which apps are misbehaving.