Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Feel good about today's battery life for the first time. Maybe even a little better than I was getting with my Maxx the last few weeks.

3.5 hours screen time really on 4G. Almost 11pm and still at 15%. With battery like this, I can pretty much use my phone without any micromanaging and not stress about it.

One question though; my signal is almost never green. I'm in NYC. Where do you guys find a good signal anywhere? Anyway to boost signal? I feel like my battery life would improve significantly with better reception.

Good stuff. I hate being micromanaged and even worse having to micromanage a SMART phone LOL!

ps. My 4G signal is never green at home or work :( Fortunately I'm always on Wifi, but this doesn't bode well for VOLTE calling.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Why do I seem to have so many more wakelocks than anyone else here while my screen is off? I don't have any social networking refreshing at all. What else could it be? Do I get that much email? I can't determine from the program list or Gsam what is waking up my phone other than "Android OS".
View attachment 145637

Any ideas? My drain has been between 2.5% and 3.5% per hour with less than 2 hours SOT. Google Play Services / Android System / Kernel (Android OS) seem to be the top 3 app users. Drain seems to be worst when I am at work, so maybe it's just the high volume of email?

Not saying my battery life is bad, just not as great as others are getting with way higher use.

Attachments

• 1415162701893.jpg
    1415162701893.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 32

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Any ideas? My drain has been between 2.5% and 3.5% per hour with less than 2 hours SOT. Google Play Services / Android System / Kernel (Android OS) seem to be the top 3 app users

The real question is: How can I get mine to do that? 2.5% That is amazing!

It does appear it's being kept awake. Can you do a screen shot of your Wi-Fi advanced settings screen?

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The real question is: How can I get mine to do that? 2.3% That is amazing!

It does appear it's being kept awake. Can you do a screen shot of your Wi-Fi advanced settings screen?

Don't be fooled by the 74% charge. Took the screen shot on the charger. It was down to 56% after 14:43. Not bad, but also not great. Especially considering the relatively low screen on time.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
At what point am I allowed to say I'm just not that impressed by the battery. I'm down to 28% from having taken if off the charger this morning. I would have never been this low by the end of the day with my Maxx. Sure, It will make me through a day, but no where near as impressively as the commercials touted. This is the battery life that swayed me from the G2 back to the Maxx.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
At what point am I allowed to say I'm just not that impressed by the battery. I'm down to 28% from having taken if off the charger this morning. I would have never been this low by the end of the day with my Maxx. Sure, It will make me through a day, but no where near as impressively as the commercials touted. This is the battery life that swayed me from the G2 back to the Maxx.
If it gets you through the day without an issue who cares? Seriously, you don't need the phone to last longer while its able to be on the charger while you sleep. I'm sorry but unless the phone dies on you during the day than there's no reason to be upset. I quoted you because it helps make my point but I am not actually singling you out.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If it gets you through the day without an issue who cares? Seriously, you don't need the phone to last longer while its able to be on the charger while you sleep. I'm sorry but unless the phone dies on you during the day than there's no reason to be upset. I quoted you because it helps make my point but I am not actually singling you out.

It gets me through a normal days use, but there are times where I'll push it harder (for some reason I seem to on vacation or if I'm somewhere that I"m going to be using the GPS nav a lot) that I would like the extra cushion I had on my Maxx. I know they are a marketing department and all, but don't claim 48h of actual use if you can't get anywhere near that. They made it sound like the battery was going to be on par with the Maxx. I was in love with the battery life on my Maxx and refused to go to a phone with a smaller battery, much as I liked G2 and G3, so this feels like a bit of a step back in that regard.

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I really don't understand why peoples expectations are so distorted on the battery life. 48 hours was clearly for the strict purposes of marketing. They did the same for last years Droid Maxx. Under absolute ideal conditions you can reach that but most people will not be under ideal conditions or usage. I can get 20 hours with 7-8 hours of on-screen time which is amazing. I need a buffer to last me the entire day with heavy use which this phone clearly does. If you are expecting 48 hours with heavy use under 4G, that is just not going to happen in any modern smartphone yet.

This phone is quite the battery performer especially considering the specs. It meets or exceeds last years Droid Maxx (which only had 720p resolution) which is exactly what I would want and expected. Highly recommended.

As a side note, here is the excerpt from Motorola on the battery life:

All battery life claims are approximate and based on an average user profile that includes both usage and standby. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on signal strength, network configuration, features selected, and voice, data, operating temperature and other application usage patterns.

Just wanted to quote my previous post early in this thread as it has since gotten buried but is still relevant. Again, I really don't understand why so many are taking the marketing for their word. I came from last years Maxx as well and I am perfectly satisfied with the battery life this has provided thus far. Marketing is there to entice, draw you in to show you the potential. As always, there is fine print. Most people will be satisfied if a phone can get you 18 hours in a day with heavy usage (provided you sleep for 6) and the expectation that you charge it every night. With medium to light usage, I've seen 30+ hours easy.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It gets me through a normal days use, but there are times where I'll push it harder (for some reason I seem to on vacation or if I'm somewhere that I"m going to be using the GPS nav a lot) that I would like the extra cushion I had on my Maxx. I know they are a marketing department and all, but don't claim 48h of actual use if you can't get anywhere near that. They made it sound like the battery was going to be on par with the Maxx. I was in love with the battery life on my Maxx and refused to go to a phone with a smaller battery, much as I liked G2 and G3, so this feels like a bit of a step back in that regard.

Kit-Kat had Droid Maxx users going nuts at launch. Maybe the Turbo is suffering a bit and you'll see an increase after Lollipop. :)

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Try unchecking the Always Scanning and Avoid Poor Connections as well as changing Always On to Only While Plugged in. That did the trick for me.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

If battery life is regressing by the day, that says less about the hardware and more about the software you have added to the mix. Just MO

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If battery life is regressing by the day, that says less about the hardware and more about the software you have added to the mix. Just MO

I wouldn't say its regressing. Its just not progressing like I was hoping it would with some phone break in time.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say its regressing. Its just not progressing like I was hoping it would with some phone break in time.

I hear ya. As has been said, expectations are a killer...and KitKat honestly was the worst thing that ever happened to my Droid Razr M. Lollipop couldn't possibly be the same or worse.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Post screen shots of your screen on time when posting screen shots. It would really be helpful.
Here you go. Looking at this, it looks like Wifi was on all day. That is suppose to turn off after I leave my house. I'll have to check that while I'm at work tomorrow

892a3f02bb57763a98219e91cf2800e5.jpg