Droid Turbo: Battery Life

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
6 hours? Wow, I have never seen someone get that. I think your phone some how got a Turbo battery, lol. ;)

In all seriousness I don't know why that would be. It shouldn't. Come on Lollipop!

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Quite a few of us are getting 6hr SOT over 14-20 hour total up time. My moto x isn't near 11mm thick though ;)

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I get 6 hours of display time every day with a moto X with a considerably smaller battery. The turbo should get better battery life than that. It's a simple concept. Even with the higher resolution display and faster clock speed, it should be able to achieve a noticeably larger display time then that.

Unsubscribe, mute, unfollow...Positivity recharged. Turbo engaged.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh I see, because you "help more than anyone else here" you've got a free pass to ***** at the people who are unsatisfied with the battery life claim.

You mentioned how being on here would mean probably more than an average user. Being on here we nitpick EVERY last spec and detail down to the smallest minuta. Display resolution, processor speed, benchmarks. The details are why we discuss things here. But you're perfectly ok with being as vague with battery life as "getting through the day". Pick and choose what details you don't want to discuss.
I don't pick and choose a thing. If I throw 6 hours of display time on Auto brightness with Gmail sync on and Skype signed in than its lasted as much as we should expect it to. There's realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations. If you want to agree to disagree so be it. I'm leaving it there before we tear this thread apart even more.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Quite a few of us are getting 6hr SOT over 14-20 hour total up time. My moto x isn't near 11mm thick though ;)
Haven't seen it, I've always seen complaints and that's it. I didn't go out of my way to read every thread but I did see them.

Does that mean you're incorrect with your numbers? Yes... I mean no. (Just having some fun here). You got the numbers and for some reason the Droid is not matching up the way it should.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Unsubscribe, mute, unfollow...Positivity recharged. Turbo engaged.

I tried all of these but the Turbo keeps activating and that dang Turbo lag keeps it from unsubscribing. :(

Okay, so some how I tried to incorporate turbo lag into my sentence. Fail

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't pick and choose a thing. If I throw 6 hours of display time on Auto brightness with Gmail sync on and Skype signed in than its lasted as much as we should expect it to. There's realistic expectations and unrealistic expectations. If you want to agree to disagree so be it. I'm leaving it there before we tear this thread apart even more.

That's fine. I'm not looking to tear the thread apart. It'd be much more useful to figure out why a 3900 mAh battery is underperforming. I don't think Motorola's claim of 48 hours with average use was unreasonable. ON PAPER that's what you could reasonably expect. However, the team on the field isn't performing like they do on paper. You could write it off and say "well it's good enough for me", or try to figure out if there's a way to fix it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's fine. I'm not looking to tear the thread apart. It'd be much more useful to figure out why a 3900 mAh battery is underperforming. I don't think Motorola's claim of 48 hours with average use was unreasonable. ON PAPER that's what you could reasonably expect. However, the team on the field isn't performing like they do on paper. You could write it off and say "well it's good enough for me", or try to figure out if there's a way to fix it.
I think we need to accept the short comings for now and reevaluate after Lollipop comes out. The only reason I'm saying this is I remember KitKat destroyed the Droid Maxx and people here complained that it dropped their battery life in half. I'm not sure if its still true but the past has told us that its a possibility the Turbo may too suffer from this.

I never did care for Kit-Kats...

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
All of both of your fine arguments and analogies and metaphors aside, Chris' original take on my issue is correct. I didn't buy the phone to 'get through the day'. I'm not expecting it to last 2 full days, certainly not 48h of screen time, but one of the big selling points of the phone was this big mongo battery and that feature just isn't coming to fruition for me.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, directly from the Moto website:

"All battery life claims are approximate and based on an average mixed use profile that includes both usage and standby time. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns."

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen it, I've always seen complaints and that's it. I didn't go out of my way to read every thread but I did see them.

Does that mean you're incorrect with your numbers? Yes... I mean no. (Just having some fun here). You got the numbers and for some reason the Droid is not matching up the way it should.

Well after this all boils down to nothing, that's my point. We seemed to narrow down the moto x battery complaints to verizon users. Now given that the Turbo is only available on verizon there isn't a test market to compare it to. However I believe it's under performing. I'm not faulting marketing, saying anyone was lying. It SHOULD get insane battery numbers. Why isn't it? That's the question.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, directly from the Moto website:

"All battery life claims are approximate and based on an average mixed use profile that includes both usage and standby time. Actual battery performance will vary and depends on many factors including signal strength, network configuration, age of battery, operating temperature, features selected, device settings, and voice, data, and other application usage patterns."

The fine print always ruins the fun at the party. Its Buzz Killington!

Err... I need to go and... Turbo up my phone.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well after this all boils down to nothing, that's my point. We seemed to narrow down the moto x battery complaints to verizon users. Now given that the Turbo is only available on verizon there isn't a test market to compare it to. However I believe it's under performing. I'm not faulting marketing, saying anyone was lying. It SHOULD get insane battery numbers. Why isn't it? That's the question.
Good question. And of course part of it is Verizon. My friend on Sprint gets nearly the same display time on his Note 4 that my Turbo gets. However, a Verizon Note 4 will die faster.

I think its time for a new carrier. Battery issue solved.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I think we need to accept the short comings for now and reevaluate after Lollipop comes out. The only reason I'm saying this is I remember KitKat destroyed the Droid Maxx and people here complained that it dropped their battery life in half. I'm not sure if its still true but the past has told us that its a possibility the Turbo may too suffer from this.

I never did care for Kit-Kats...

Fair enough. I mean kit kat is pretty much a hold over OS for a device built for more. But that excuse isn't going to tide over the majority of users that bought it with the pretense that it got 'insane' battery life. People get skeptical quick. Hell, you had people returning the turbo after a SINGLE day because battery life wasn't what they expected, before a single cycle and a remote chance of the battery being calibrated to the software, lol.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The fine print always ruins the fun at the party. Its Buzz Killington!

Err... I need to go and... Turbo up my phone.

Agreed. I'm gonna go Turbo sleep in my QHD memory foam bed. #1stWorldProblems lol

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Good question. And of course part of it is Verizon. My friend on Sprint gets nearly the same display time on his Note 4 that my Turbo gets. However, a Verizon Note 4 will die faster.

I think its time for a new carrier. Battery issue solved.

Or possibly figure out WHY verizon devices are chewing through battery faster than any other carrier. I mean, sprint isn't a fair comparison. Their network doesn't allow you to use enough data to drain a battery in a day. Verizon is the largest carrier, there has to be a way to figure out what the problem is.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. I mean kit kat is pretty much a hold over OS for a device built for more. But that excuse isn't going to tide over the majority of users that bought it with the pretense that it got 'insane' battery life. People get skeptical quick. Hell, you had people returning the turbo after a SINGLE day because battery life wasn't what they expected, before a single cycle and a remote chance of the battery being calibrated to the software, lol.
Instant gratification. Thankfully I understand it or I would have been at the Acura dealer complaining that a 500 mile break in period was ridiculous. :D

I'd miss out on so much if I was like that. Even if it didn't last 48 hours it still out performs every other Verizon phone. Or at least it should if everything is working properly. But hey, they went for a device that dies sooner. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Or possibly figure out WHY verizon devices are chewing through battery faster than any other carrier. I mean, sprint isn't a fair comparison. Their network doesn't allow you to use enough data to drain a battery in a day. Verizon is the largest carrier, there has to be a way to figure out what the problem is.
Unfortunately, there's no definite reason yet but look at this article. 3 hour disparity from a T-Mobile and Verizon S5? Ouch

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/08/06/t-mobile-battery-longer-att-verizon/

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Quite a few of us are getting 6hr SOT over 14-20 hour total up time.

Ok, I have to call BS on this. I've been following this pretty closely, including following the long battery thread on the X'14 forum, and there simply are not "quite a few" people posting documented, routine 6hr SOT and/or 14-20 hour total time. And absolutely not both together. I welcome your screen shots to prove me wrong.

...adding, in no way do I mean to dis the X. In fact, most people are actually pleasantly surprised at what can be squeezed out of that phone. It can meet many people's needs - typically 2.5 to 4hrs SOT and power to get through a day. In fact, the moral in both cases - the X'14 and the Turbo -- is that battery specs alone do not tell the story.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Instant gratification. Thankfully I understand it or I would have been at the Acura dealer complaining that a 500 mile break in period was ridiculous. :D
Lol you fell for that? You have to drive it on day one the way you're going to drive it regularly! ;)
But in all seriousness on my end my complaints aren't with the device itself or Motorola. It's just not matching up with it's numbers, and the network is more than likely the culprit. I'm not on verizon, but curiosity killed the cat, right?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have to call BS on this. I've been following this pretty closely, including following the long battery thread on the X'14 forum, and there simply are not "quite a few" people posting documented, routine 6hr SOT and/or 14-20 hour total time. And absolutely not both together. I welcome your screen shots to prove me wrong.

...adding, in no way do I mean to dis the X. In fact, most people are actually pleasantly surprised at what can be squeezed out of that phone. It can meet many people's needs - typically 2.5 to 4hrs SOT and power to get through a day. In fact, the moral in both cases - the X'14 and the Turbo -- is that battery specs alone do not tell the story.

Stand by.
Publish your battery ! - Pg. 29 | Moto X (2014) | XDA Forums
Publish your battery ! - Pg. 27 | Moto X (2014) | XDA Forums

Peruse through those pages. There's a few getting 6:30 SOT. My best so far was 6:12

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-47.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-28.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-21-00-24-35.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Trending Posts