Droid Turbo: Battery Life

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
For throughput speeds, sure...when I know I'm downloading, I'll turn wifi on, saves time. But for casual occasional browsing? Could you direct me to studies that show wifi is better on the battery? Obviously I'm doing quite well on an old battery with it turned off....in the meantime, maybe I'll try that for a couple of days, see how it goes.

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I guess the most frustrating aspect of it is the fact that I have an LTE Nexus 7 with everything enabled all the time (yes, even GPS), stream hours of video and music with it daily, much more screen on time and it still seems to out perform my Turbo. I have had my N7 screen on for about an hour this am and it is only at 99%!

Both the N7 and the Turbo have roughly the same battery size, and are both running Kit Kat, so why is one performing much better than the other?

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
N7 has been out and "tuned-up" awhile, DT as a model is very new, and still subject to refinements by Motorola, would be my conjecture.

anon(5709734)

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
So here are my stats from yesterday. This morning I woke up with 20% left. I'm a heavy user for work and leisure. I'm mildly satisfied with the results. Doesn't seem like I have an app that is doing a lot of damage

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 350.jpg
    350.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 85

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I guess the most frustrating aspect of it is the fact that I have an LTE Nexus 7 with everything enabled all the time (yes, even GPS), stream hours of video and music with it daily, much more screen on time and it still seems to out perform my Turbo. I have had my N7 screen on for about an hour this am and it is only at 99%!

Both the N7 and the Turbo have roughly the same battery size, and are both running Kit Kat, so why is one performing much better than the other?
You can't compare a tablet to a phone for battery life sake. The nexus doesn't have any cellular radios, only a data radio for LTE. Cellular signal is a major drain on a phone. The nexus also doesn't have such a power hungry processor, or screen resolution.

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So here are my stats from yesterday. This morning I woke up with 20% left. I'm a heavy user for work and leisure. I'm mildly satisfied with the results. Doesn't seem like I have an app that is doing a lot of damage

Posted via the Android Central App
What was your screen on time?

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

I am very curious about why so many of your screenshots show WiFi always on? Perhaps it is that I still have unlimited data, but I keep WiFi and GPS turned off unless I actually have need of them.
What is the benefit of having those two radios always drawing charge?

I leave WiFi on because I'm forgetful, and wouldn't remember to turn it on in a WiFi area. Its a negligible drain on my battery anyway. I've shut it off when not in a WiFi area and have noticed no discernable difference in battery life.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I am routinely plugging in my phone at night with over 50% battery remaining and over 4 hours of SOT (~17 hours of total unplugged time). I've never let the phone keep going to see how many total hours SOT I could get if I let it go to 0 because that's pointless, but simple math would tell you I should be able to get 8-9 hours SOT over ~30-35 total hours.

I apologize, I do not have screenshots because I don't think to take a screenshot every time I look at my battery stats, but I promise I will take one tonight and post tomorrow. Before you all jump down my throat, remember that this QHD screen is one of the biggest battery hogs on the Turbo and I keep my brightness between 10-15% while inside, which is 95% or more of my day. And yes, I think 10-15% is plenty bright enough indoors.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't unchecking "Only When Plugged In" be problematic? What's the point of being on WiFi if that is toggled?

It's never posed a problem for me bc it only turns off Wifi when in deep sleep. Turns right back on when data is accessed.

IMO this will save battery life and is the reason so many people are wondering why they don't get longer life from Turbo battery. The other reason is that people need to UNCHECK the Always Scanning option.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

flackberry

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I would say the battery is only slightly better than the Note4 I had. Honestly the Note4 seemed to sip power a little better than the Turbo. With the same habits as the Note4 I'm loosing 10% between my alarm 6am and 8am doing nothing but checking email once. That seems excessive to me. The Note would barely loose charge if the wasn't lit. With the Turbo it doesn't seem to matter.

BTW, what the heck is the command center and why is it 2nd in line behind screen time for battery usage?

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Command center:

Stay in control with DROID Command Center widget

Tangentially relevant thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...rola-droid-turbo-disabled-command-center.html

I'm getting similar battery life to last charge, already posted, but will make some setting changes, most notably going to auto-brightness from mid-range manual, and toggling wi-fi to off when asleep except when plugged in. At that point, after noting results, I'll take the most current software update (phone is still running on original software as received) then compare results, both on battery life and Antutu benchmarks.

So far, looking good.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Stand by.
Publish your battery ! - Pg. 29 | Moto X (2014) | XDA Forums
Publish your battery ! - Pg. 27 | Moto X (2014) | XDA Forums

Peruse through those pages. There's a few getting 6:30 SOT. My best so far was 6:12

First, props to you for being able to get that performance. Sure wish I had your great mobile network connection, which certainly helps your cause. That said, you link to two pages of a 29-page xda thread that themselves only have a few posts containing examples approaching your claim -- and most of them are from the UK, which doesn't have sucky Verizon. That's not "quite a few of us" nor does in demonstrate that your performance claim for the X is routinely achieved. IMO that's what you tried to imply.

(disclaimer again - not intending to dis the X, which does routinely overperform its battery specs.)

novanoto

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
I dunno; I really wanted to love this phone, but so far, the battery has not been up to par for me. Yesterday, it drained pretty quickly with just over 4 1/2 hours of screen time, and today is even worse. Off the charger at 7am, it's now just after noon, and I'm down to 63% battery. This is with 2 hours 5 minutes of screen time and wifi on since 9am. Have all bloat disabled, wifi always scanning turned off, wifi on only when plugged, etc. etc.

Just doesn't seem all that's it advertised as...

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue with the battery so far is the idle drain, at least upon my initial analysis. When I unplug at like 3am in the morning and then wake up for real at 7am to go to work, my phone will go down like 6%-10% with wifi on and nothing auto syncing. Maybe it's just interpreting the battery more effectively than the Maxx, but my Maxx would stay close to 100% during that period.

This has big implications for the rest of my day. If I pick up my phone at 90% when I first start using it, then at the end of the day I find myself moderating my use.

The one thing that's easily better on this phone; is that the rate of discharge seems much more consistent. Once I hit 25%, I feel like it's close to an actual 25% whereas the Maxx would go down pretty fast from there.

In that respect, maybe it's just a matter of preference in terms of how I want my stats to be observed. I guess 1.25% per hour discharge (as seen in these screen shots) while unplugged is not really bad. 6% in 5.5 hours is probably nothing to worry about. Just a different reading than I would see on my Maxx, which gives me the perception initially that this battery is not as good. But this thing definitely seems to balance things out as the battery falls below 40%, so maybe it's all in my head.

Yesterday I definitely got results that were as good or better than I was getting on my Maxx recently.

Also, randomly- anybody notice that this phone seems to handle calls really well. I'll be on the phone for an hour and it loses almost nothing, but maybe that's because it disconnects from data during calls??

Attachments

• 1415207294776.jpg
    1415207294776.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 1415207309765.jpg
    1415207309765.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 38

Brian Singleton

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
It's never posed a problem for me bc it only turns off Wifi when in deep sleep. Turns right back on when data is accessed.

IMO this will save battery life and is the reason so many people are wondering why they don't get longer life from Turbo battery. The other reason is that people need to UNCHECK the Always Scanning option.

Didn't realize that only happened in DEEP sleep. Good to know. I've been running on LTE only most of the day today, and there are far fewer wake locks for sure. My only concern is when I am on wifi in a dead cell zone. That could really chew the battery if wifi shuts off.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Didn't realize that only happened in DEEP sleep. Good to know. I've been running on LTE only most of the day today, and there are far fewer wake locks for sure. My only concern is when I am on wifi in a dead cell zone. That could really chew the battery if wifi shuts off.

Wifi is just for data. The voice connection is independent of the mobile data connection so you're gonna have a low voice signal regardless.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
My biggest issue with the battery so far is the idle drain, at least upon my initial analysis. When I unplug at like 3am in the morning and then wake up for real at 7am to go to work, my phone will go down like 6%-10% with wifi on and nothing auto syncing. Maybe it's just interpreting the battery more effectively than the Maxx, but my Maxx would stay close to 100% during that period.

This has big implications for the rest of my day. If I pick up my phone at 90% when I first start using it, then at the end of the day I find myself moderating my use.

The one thing that's easily better on this phone; is that the rate of discharge seems much more consistent. Once I hit 25%, I feel like it's close to an actual 25% whereas the Maxx would go down pretty fast from there.

In that respect, maybe it's just a matter of preference in terms of how I want my stats to be observed. I guess 1.25% per hour discharge (as seen in these screen shots) while unplugged is not really bad. 6% in 5.5 hours is probably nothing to worry about. Just a different reading than I would see on my Maxx, which gives me the perception initially that this battery is not as good. But this thing definitely seems to balance things out as the battery falls below 40%, so maybe it's all in my head.

Yesterday I definitely got results that were as good or better than I was getting on my Maxx recently.

Also, randomly- anybody notice that this phone seems to handle calls really well. I'll be on the phone for an hour and it loses almost nothing, but maybe that's because it disconnects from data during calls??

Agree 100% with this entire post. I think people think the MAXX had battery battery life, but only because it was less consistent. The Turbo discharges at a very consistent rate, whereas the MAXX would hang at 100 for a long time and then go faster through other percentages.