Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
After running for a couple weeks on the OEM software, I took the update yesterday and will do some comparison tests. Lately, on the old software and optimized pretty much via AC tips, I've been getting 50-55 hours to 10-15%
You own an aftermarket battery company. Constantly deep discharging the battery like that is going to mean a new battery a lot sooner than you should have to. The longest battery life cones when charging at the 40%-60% point. Considering that you have to pay for labor to replace that battery, that should be a consideration. Add the terriffic abuse the turbo charging does to the battery and I think we'll be hearing a lot of screams before the end of 2015.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I've replaced batteries before and you'll notice that I stopped deep discharging it just charging it after I determined how it did

Posted via the Android Central App

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is not as good today, and I checked my wake locks on GSAM.

Anybody know what this might be?

I cleared my partition catche yesterday. Any chance this could have changed something?

Attachments

• 1416443989847.jpg
    1416443989847.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 56

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Hit the google button from the screenshot you posted. The second search result explains it great. It has to do with the connection between your phone and cell tower.

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just got the phone and got about 26 hours out of it and am at 2%. Had about 4.5 hours of screen time (facebook, email, chrome) and 1hr 35min talk time.

Is that good?

Also is there anything I need to do to condition the battery? Do I let it completely drain to 0% my first few uses and charge to full from there?

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got the phone and got about 26 hours out of it and am at 2%. Had about 4.5 hours of screen time (facebook, email, chrome) and 1hr 35min talk time.

Is that good?

Also is there anything I need to do to condition the battery? Do I let it completely drain to 0% my first few uses and charge to full from there?

Yes that is good, I personally don't do any conditioning, use it, charge it at the end of the night.

Chaumander

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of disappointed in this battery. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (XT912), and while that phone's battery was definitely degraded by the time I picked up my Turbo, I was hoping for better results. I've cleared all bloatware, leaving Moto Voice and all of those nice components on, cleared my cache, and used my Turbo normally for about a week (mainly to let the battery 'condition' itself like many posters on this forum say is important before judging battery life). Mainly to try and figure out a good baseline, I was on high accuracy location mode, didn't connect to WiFi, and left bluetooth off on this charge.

I took it off the charger yesterday at around 5:45PM, and used it sparingly all night. at 10:40AM today, I'm down to 40% with less than 1.5 hours of SoT.

Here are my Gsam stats and stock battery stats:
2014-11-22 15.30.58.jpg2014-11-22 15.31.08.jpg2014-11-22 15.31.31.jpg2014-11-22 15.31.41.jpg2014-11-22 15.31.48.jpg

What do y'all think? I didn't really look into battery life with my Razr Maxx too much so I don't really know what's normal for useage and what's not, but I was hoping that with relatively low SoT, I'd be getting better results (my brightness is at 25%). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
App and kernel look to high to me. Try running in safe mode with the stock launcher and watch your stats before and after using certain apps.

Chaumander

May 10, 2013
Visit site
App and kernel look to high to me. Try running in safe mode with the stock launcher and watch your stats before and after using certain apps.

Will do. I'll charge it a bit and run, run the rest of the day in safe mode, and report back. Do you think there's any possibility my phone is a dud? Also--I did take the recent system update 21.21.15 before taking it off charger yesterday.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
"I'm kind of disappointed in this battery. I'm coming from a Razr Maxx (XT912), and while that phone's battery was definitely degraded by the time I picked up my Turbo, I was hoping for better results. I've cleared all bloatware, leaving Moto Voice and all of those nice components on, cleared my cache, and used my Turbo normally for about a week (mainly to let the battery 'condition' itself like many posters on this forum say is important before judging battery life). Mainly to try and figure out a good baseline, I was on high accuracy location mode, didn't connect to WiFi, and left bluetooth off on this charge.

I took it off the charger yesterday at around 5:45PM, and used it sparingly all night. at 10:40AM today, I'm down to 40% with less than 1.5 hours of SoT."

High accuracy location mode will make a difference. Unless you need it shut it off and see what that does. Your held awake time is high compared to screen time. I wonder if the high accuracy location mode is causing that.
The second photo, app sucker screen, has a drop down at the top that allows you to see the wake locks. Check that. Theres a pretty good youtube video from a guy that gets great battery life. Ill post the link here. Some of the setting he uses are great but might be extreme for someone else. I am pretty extreme with my setting and use Tasker to get those results. Back in this thread are some really good suggestions. Check them out.
DROID Turbo Battery Options - YouTube

Last edited:

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Will do. I'll charge it a bit and run, run the rest of the day in safe mode, and report back. Do you think there's any possibility my phone is a dud? Also--I did take the recent system update 21.21.15 before taking it off charger yesterday.
I've also taken the update without issue.

Some things I've done are as follows:

Google settings - turn off both options listed in android device manager. Turn off location reporting and location history under Google location reporting. I leave mode set to high accuracy for other apps.

Moto settings - I leave Moto display active but turn off Moto actions. I don't need motion and those sensors eat battery.

Here's what my drain looks like right now.
361d4464e5e503ed130184636e4955a1.jpg

Chaumander

May 10, 2013
Visit site
cyberr8der - thanks for the reply. i did have both remotely locate this device and allow remote lock and erase unchecked in android device manager. i don't have location reporting disabled because I actually like the tracking feature that Google does. I live in NYC so it's neat to be able to see all the places I've been going to.

mobrules - thanks for the suggestion. i'll check out that video!

cyberr8der - I can't successfully boot into safe mode for some reason. Launcher3 won't... launch. I get an error message saying that "Unfortunately Launcher3 has stopped" and the message pops back up after hitting OK. I'm unable to proceed...

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I've come to terms with the fact that the only way to get good battery life with the turbo is to handcuff your phone and turn off all fun features.

I think moto screwed up somewhere with the software and there's something sucking the battery when it shouldn't.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've also taken the update without issue.

Some things I've done are as follows:

Google settings - turn off both options listed in android device manager. Turn off location reporting and location history under Google location reporting. I leave mode set to high accuracy for other apps.

Moto settings - I leave Moto display active but turn off Moto actions. I don't need motion and those sensors eat battery.

Here's what my drain looks like right now.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/22/361d4464e5e503ed130184636e4955a1.jpg

What is your display brightness? Auto?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I am pulling my hair out with this phone. I am getting worse life with the DR than the DM. I mean seriously worse life. Prior to today I have done the following:
  • Disabled the bloatware, though I do use amazon, a lot
  • I always use wifi when I have a connection and turn it off when there isn't one
  • GPS is always turned off unless I need it
  • Yes BlueTooth is always on. I use my headset all the time
  • I have minimzed my twitter and FB notifications
  • I do have 4 gmail accounts and I get a fair number of emails and notifications a day
  • Location Reporting and history is off for the phone
  • Display was already set to auto and off after 30 seconds

Today I have done the following additional steps based on what I have seen in this thread:
  • Moto settings - I leave Moto display active but turn off Moto actions. I don't need motion and those sensors eat battery.
  • Deactivated most of the display notifications opitons
  • Turned off Actions except for shake to take a picture
  • Disabled droid Zap
  • Disabled attentive display
  • Diabled apps such as auidbel, all verizon apps, softcard, slacker, google foreign keyboards, motorola flip case
So I am hoping like crazy that this helps. Based on what I am seeing in Gsam I am having a ton of wake locks. Let's see how things go. In the mean time here are 3 days and a partial days worth of battery stats

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I've come to terms with the fact that the only way to get good battery life with the turbo is to handcuff your phone and turn off all fun features.

I think moto screwed up somewhere with the software and there's something sucking the battery when it shouldn't.

Yes. The phone is supposed to be 48h (I know its a marketing ploy) of USE. I shouldn't have to cripple my phone to get great battery life.

I was always amazed at the battery on my Maxx and just had the idea to compare the battery stats to my Turbo. Turns out the Maxx was only 3h better. Not quite as much as I thought it would be, but it always felt like it a lot lasted longer.

Maxx
Battery Life: 1d 9h (10:54 active)
Screen On: 3h 41m (4h 7m Max)

Turbo
Battery Life: 1d 6h (12h 41m active)
Screen on: 3h 55m (2h 56m Max)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol