Droid Turbo: Battery Life

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
This'll be a no help to anybody ;-), but since it's on-topic..

I don't know if the original recorder of that video a few posts back is reading, but a HUGE thank you to him for putting that together. What a great help that was. I started snooping around and saw I has Zap turned on.. What the heck was I thinking? No use for it whatsoever as no one I know personally also has this phone. So I've now turned off Moto motion sensors, Zap, and disabled many apps. Looking forward to what this day brings.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Now THAT is what I call OPTIMIZED!
Nice!

PS. Since you're mostly on Wifi, what is your avg 1x signal strength in dBm when you get a chance to check?
Looks like 1x is -84dBm. I don't have all the stuff turned off that everyone else does. I have location services on high accuracy but turned off Google location reporting and Android device manager tracking. Disabled all the bloatware, and turned off Moto action but left Moto display active. I'm going to do another run on 4G only and see how much that lessens my battery life.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Getting great battery life today and don't understand what could be causing the difference. I've been monitoring my wake locks and see that they're almost half of what they've been everyday this week. What could cause this type of variation? The MSM one that's listed 2nd has been a particularly bad offender all week with almost 2 hours and over 5,000 wakes each day. Today it's at like 1,300 wakes. The only thing I've done differently is not clear my cache. I usually do that every night, but I've now gone 2 days without doing so.

Attachments

• 1416794967220.jpg
    1416794967220.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 1416794981160.jpg
    1416794981160.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1416795007260.jpg
    1416795007260.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 42

DroidTurbo1

Banned
Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Looks like 1x is -84dBm. I don't have all the stuff turned off that everyone else does. I have location services on high accuracy but turned off Google location reporting and Android device manager tracking. Disabled all the bloatware, and turned off Moto action but left Moto display active. I'm going to do another run on 4G only and see how much that lessens my battery life.

Thank you! I look fwd to your 4G results!

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Getting great battery life today and don't understand what could be causing the difference. I've been monitoring my wake locks and see that they're almost half of what they've been everyday this week. What could cause this type of variation? The MSM one that's listed 2nd has been a particularly bad offender all week with almost 2 hours and over 5,000 wakes each day. Today it's at like 1,300 wakes. The only thing I've done differently is not clear my cache. I usually do that every night, but I've now gone 2 days without doing so.
I dont think the msm wakelock is one that anything can be done about. If you highlight it and select it the next screen has a google me button. The second result is a pretty good explanation. Has to do with your device communicating with a tower basically. Maybe the stronger the signal strength the less there are but I honestly dont know.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I look fwd to your 4G results!
Here's my 4G results. I wasn't in a great coverage area. I would say my average 4G signal was about 103dBm.
45fa8c8c5d6a818b9d263e4f898a1db5.jpg

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Just stop. That's not right. Don't you have better things to do than to Photoshop your battery stats all day?

I don't think he need to photoshop it. If you turn off network data battery life is amazing. Just to test it out since I was home weekend long I had wifi on and network data turned off. I managed almost 8 hrs of SoT over 18 hrs(lots of youtube and clash of clans).

So if he's turn off data and just spend his time on wifi reading a book or surfing the web then he can easily beat my 8 hrs.

Draw back to not having network data on is you can't get MMS, you can still get SMS but can't reveive group text or images. Once you turn network data back on then those missed MMS get downloaded.
I downloaded macrodroid app and have it set up to turn 4G on when screen is on and when screen is off turn 4G on at 1hr interval to sync and get MMS.
We'll see how battery life is with this set up.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Just stop. That's not right. Don't you have better things to do than to Photoshop your battery stats all day?
Haha. I didn't see this one. Stop being a clown and mind your own business. I don't need to photoshop anything and don't need your jack off comments because I'm trying to show and help other maximize their battery while keeping most of their functions working.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think he need to photoshop it. If you turn off network data battery life is amazing. Just to test it out since I was home weekend long I had wifi on and network data turned off. I managed almost 8 hrs of SoT over 18 hrs(lots of youtube and clash of clans).

So if he's turn off data and just spend his time on wifi reading a book or surfing the web then he can easily beat my 8 hrs.

Draw back to not having network data on is you can't get MMS, you can still get SMS but can't reveive group text or images. Once you turn network data back on then those missed MMS get downloaded.
I downloaded macrodroid app and have it set up to turn 4G on when screen is on and when screen is off turn 4G on at 1hr interval to sync and get MMS.
We'll see how battery life is with this set up.
I don't turn off network data but do have Wifi always on selected. When you're connected to Wifi 4G isn't used with the exception of MMS and Visual Voicemail. I do turn off background Sync between midnight and 8AM as I'm usually sleeping.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't turn off network data but do have Wifi always on selected. When you're connected to Wifi 4G isn't used with the exception of MMS and Visual Voicemail. I do turn off background Sync between midnight and 8AM as I'm usually sleeping.

I know data doesn't flow through 4G if wifi is on, but I think you still lose some battery because the 4G radio is on? I do have a bunch of other tweaks going so I'm not entirely sure if having 4G radio turned of is the main result of the extra 2hrs of SoT for me. Next weekend I will leave 4G on and see. Glad to see that you left your on and still manage awesome battery life.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I know data doesn't flow through 4G if wifi is on, but I think you still lose some battery because the 4G radio is on? I do have a bunch of other tweaks going so I'm not entirely sure if having 4G radio turned of is the main result of the extra 2hrs of SoT for me. Next weekend I will leave 4G on and see. Glad to see that you left your on and still manage awesome battery life.
I don't think it is but I could be wrong. Basing my opinion on the fact that if you're connected to Wifi and you go to about phone / status mine says mobile network state disconnected. That being said that's why I don't bother to turn it off at all.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Cross-check GSam Stats with Process Stats in Developer Options, because they give different readings. The built-in regular battery stats differs from GSam as well. It comes down to the way things are categorized. I had a post up about the discrepancies in battery reporting showing this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/458646-verizon-motorola-droid-turbo-command-center-drain-built-battery-vs-gsam.html.

Facebook and Facebook messenger D - STROY your phone with kernel wake-locks. Open up the Facebook app in Applications and take a look at the running processes. GSam won't show that. It shows Facebook as being low, because it's showing the app usage. This goes for other apps as well. The kernel wake-locks in GSam are bundled together, so there is no way of telling which app is impacting the kernel.

I recently went through every Facebook setting for their mobile app and have kept the drain down to a minimum. I took off location for both Facebook app and Messenger, I chose it to notify me only when people post on my wall, etc...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Facebook and Facebook messenger D - STROY your phone with kernel wake-locks. Open up the Facebook app in Applications and take a look at the running processes. GSam won't show that. It shows Facebook as being low, because it's showing the app usage. This goes for other apps as well. The kernel wake-locks in GSam are bundled together, so there is no way of telling which app is impacting the kernel.

I recently went through every Facebook setting for their mobile app and have kept the drain down to a minimum. I took off location for both Facebook app and Messenger, I chose it to notify me only when people post on my wall, etc...

Though I already know the FB app's rep for battery and resources hogging, I still wasn't able to wrangle it in to submission. No matter what I tried with settings it would keep waking itself back up. I installed Greenify to Hibernate it and it was still coming on pretty regularly. Ultimately, while I like the conveniences it provides within Android (for posting articles to your wall, for excample), it isn't worth it. I uninstalled and so far the difference in battery has been very notcable. It's only been a day, though.

My main concern has been that I, too, had better battery life with my Droid Maxx. So, I have been comparing my use and apps phone to phone. I had FB installed on the Maxx, too.

Something is definitely up with Cell Standby. Many have higher usage in their battery stats than they did previously (again for me this was with the Maxx). It's possible that they optimized other things so that CS is only higher by comparison, while using roughly the same amount of juice. Or, it may be it needs a tweak or two for optimization.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Though I already know the FB app's rep for battery and resources hogging, I still wasn't able to wrangle it in to submission. No matter what I tried with settings it would keep waking itself back up. I installed Greenify to Hibernate it and it was still coming on pretty regularly. Ultimately, while I like the conveniences it provides within Android (for posting articles to your wall, for excample), it isn't worth it. I uninstalled and so far the difference in battery has been very notcable. It's only been a day, though.

My main concern has been that I, too, had better battery life with my Droid Maxx. So, I have been comparing my use and apps phone to phone. I had FB installed on the Maxx, too.

Something is definitely up with Cell Standby. Many have higher usage in their battery stats than they did previously (again for me this was with the Maxx). It's possible that they optimized other things so that CS is only higher by comparison, while using roughly the same amount of juice. Or, it may be it needs a tweak or two for optimization.

I'm a huge fan of Better Battery Stats. I've been using it since first release on XDA and bought the paid version. The only issue with using it on my Turbo is it requires root to really get the most out of it. As you mentioned with cell standby on the Maxx vs Turbo, all phones categorize processes differently regarding battery drain. Whatever is making cell standby so high on the Turbo isn't an issue other than part of the classification was bundled with another category on the Maxx such as "Android OS" or "Android System".

I have been debating removing Facebook from my phone. Currently, I took off notifications for all app requests, and friend requests/acceptances. With push notifications at a minimum, the battery drain was cut my a significant amount. However, Facebook and its Messenger drain so much battery, that even with the noteworthy savings, it still is at a high.

Facebook is just one of the apps that have battery drain processes that aren't explicitly shown in battery stat apps. Depending on what is installed on the phone, there may be many others that will have drainage tacked on to another category, disguising themselves as a benign and regular performing app.

griffmac12

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I was disappointed at first with battery but I disabled all bloatware and turned off wifi notications. Yesterday, I was on pace for more than 6 hours screen time over course of 16hr "battery day". When I went to bed, phone was at 20% and I was 5+hrs screen time.

That is significantly better than I ever saw on my Note 3 and slightly better than what I got on my rooted Note 2 running CLEAN rom.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I decided to do an extreme battery length test over the weekend. I had signal completely shut off at night from 2200-0700 hrs. I also had it on 3g for about 24 hours of this. I don't plan to plug it in until tonight. I will never complain about this battery. I know someone will complain about me shutting the signal off or not using it to its potential. Everyone uses it differently and normal use for me is 40+ hrs. And some will complain the screen time isn't enough. I didnt use it that much over the weekend. I did watch about 1gb of video over the though. Last warmer weekend and had stuff to do. So enjoy.

Attachments

• 1416857722387.jpg
    1416857722387.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1416857747696.jpg
    1416857747696.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 1416857777644.jpg
    1416857777644.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 27

Members online

Trending Posts