Droid Turbo: Battery Life

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Huge disappointment.. 8+ hours of my "normal" use (power user) now at 20 ‰
Up till today I was getting great life of 18+ hours. Never did stream Netflix like I was planning to tonight.

Maybe I should have gone with my first choice before the Turbo of the LG G3..

Sorry for red screens using app called Twigs light which works like f.lux on a PC.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

What is your screen brightness set at?

What is your location services setting?

Also, I would advise anyone getting less than expected battery life to run the battery down to about 20%, do a hard shutdown, then plug it in until it charges to 100% (preferably overnight). Sometimes the battery meter and actual charged state of the battery get out of sync giving inaccurate readings. A hard power off and a full charge should coordinate the battery with the battery meter.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Phone is only four days old. I ran it down to 21% then charged it overnight. Then ran it down to what you see in the screen grabs. The only battery saving maneuver I made so far was to set location services on "battery saver". My screen brightness setting is at about 40%. I should have been able to get 48 hours out of it. Can't complain.

Screenshot_2014-12-06-09-47.jpg

Screenshot_2014-12-06-09-46.jpg

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Phone is only four days old. I ran it down to 21% then charged it overnight. Then ran it down to what you see in the screen grabs. The only battery saving maneuver I made so far was to set location services on "battery saver". My screen brightness setting is at about 40%. I should have been able to get 48 hours out of it. Can't complain.

View attachment 153074

View attachment 153073
I've got a question for everybody. I was watching this YouTube video in which the person said whatever it says that he's getting over a day of battery power from the battery stats but generally everything in the modal voice section of the phone... Meaning me sensors that give you the nice moto display he also the same boat. Has anyone else disabled that option in the Moto display at all? My feeling is that that's the core feature of this phone. I love that feature on the son of waving your hand to activate the Moto display, and doing the quick gesture for the camera etc cetera. What do you guys have thoughts about this? I suppose it comes down to awesome moto droid turbo features vs battery power although I'm not sure that these particular features are draining so much considerable battery power as other features are. I think I got a defective battery in my current phone & I am DOA ing , so I want to put this question the meantime.. Of course all my stupid apps are disabled what does everyone keep their brightness setting on ? I mean we have a proximity / light sensors so I just keep mine on automatic leave my wifi off unless I need simultaneous voice and data at the same time while I'm on a phone call until our phones are volte capable of course... I'm just looking to maximize the most amount of power possible of course thank you.

PS, I should let you know that so far I've been averaging about 19 to 21 hours I'm single charge. However, I had been seeing other people like that YouTube video where they're getting over a days worth of battery I'm very moderate usage which gets me wondering.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Well for me its simple. I dont charge everynight. I charge when it needs it. I dont think the phone should have to be charged everynight. Some phones yes but not this one. I usually only use about 3% to 7% at night with my settings. I think another reason would be for data control. I held onto my unlimited plan but some dont have that. But that would not matter to some using wifi. I just have an issue also with apps running in the background. It syncs everything in the morning as soon as I wake up.

I also have unlimited data, but when I'm at home its connected to wifi anyway so I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I used to think that phones didn't need to be charged every night when I had a Blackberry, but with these 'modern' phones they seem to require charging every day and sometimes even more frequently. If I charged just when it needed it I am likely to not be near a charger or to have the time to let it sit and charge. I guess I'm just not a risk taker like that. :) To each his own on when you charge your phone, but I like starting out the day with a fresh battery, sort of like taking a shower in the morning, and I know at night it has plenty of time to sit there and get a full charge.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I also have unlimited data, but when I'm at home its connected to wifi anyway so I wouldn't worry about it anyway. I used to think that phones didn't need to be charged every night when I had a Blackberry, but with these 'modern' phones they seem to require charging every day and sometimes even more frequently. If I charged just when it needed it I am likely to not be near a charger or to have the time to let it sit and charge. I guess I'm just not a risk taker like that. :) To each his own on when you charge your phone, but I like starting out the day with a fresh battery, sort of like taking a shower in the morning, and I know at night it has plenty of time to sit there and get a full charge.
I agree with you in the fact of starting your day with a fresh battery charge regardless of what phone it is.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Huge disappointment.. 8+ hours of my "normal" use (power user) now at 20 ‰
Up till today I was getting great life of 18+ hours. Never did stream Netflix like I was planning to tonight.

Maybe I should have gone with my first choice before the Turbo of the LG G3..

Sorry for red screens using app called Twigs light which works like f.lux on a PC.

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back

Why is your GSam taking up almost 9% after almost a full day of use?

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Why is your GSam taking up almost 9% after almost a full day of use?
Good question.. Might be because I check it regularly. I just made it show in my notifications so will see over the next few days.

After this debauchery.
I shut down the phone did a partition wipe and rebooted the phone.
Going from there.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Good question.. Might be because I check it regularly. I just made it show in my notifications so will see over the next few days.

After this debauchery.
I shut down the phone did a partition wipe and rebooted the phone.
Going from there.

That's a good start. Disable some carrier apps if you don't use them as well. Is your brightness on Auto or higher? Having over 4 hours of screen time with 22% left isn't bad. That is on pace with your average screen time per charge of 5 & 1/2 hours. I'm sure with a bit of tweaking you can push that over 6 hours, but even with 5 hours of screen time you are getting more than almost every smartphone on the market. Do you have Facebook installed? What do you have syncing and how often? Do you have Google + photo uploads set on? If so, is it set to WiFi only or mobile network as well? These are just some of the many factors that affect battery life. I notice that you play puzzle quest. Games are also a big drain. Although it shows 3.5%, the time that you game on your phone is very intense. Not checking GSam compulsively will also give you more battery, as 9% is very high for that app alone.

INCREMENTAL

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've got a question for everybody. I was watching this YouTube video in which the person said whatever it says that he's getting over a day of battery power from the battery stats but generally everything in the modal voice section of the phone... Meaning me sensors that give you the nice moto display he also the same boat. Has anyone else disabled that option in the Moto display at all? My feeling is that that's the core feature of this phone. I love that feature on the son of waving your hand to activate the Moto display, and doing the quick gesture for the camera etc cetera. What do you guys have thoughts about this? I suppose it comes down to awesome moto droid turbo features vs battery power although I'm not sure that these particular features are draining so much considerable battery power as other features are. I think I got a defective battery in my current phone & I am DOA ing , so I want to put this question the meantime.. Of course all my stupid apps are disabled what does everyone keep their brightness setting on ? I mean we have a proximity / light sensors so I just keep mine on automatic leave my wifi off unless I need simultaneous voice and data at the same time while I'm on a phone call until our phones are volte capable of course... I'm just looking to maximize the most amount of power possible of course thank you.

PS, I should let you know that so far I've been averaging about 19 to 21 hours I'm single charge. However, I had been seeing other people like that YouTube video where they're getting over a days worth of battery I'm very moderate usage which gets me wondering.

Have u not seen my battery stats and posts in the last few pages? I've been getting awesome battery life with always over 6 to 7hrs of screen time and I have Moto Display active. If you download the GSam battery app you will see that moto display is using very little battery. If you get a chance u should download it and check it out.

The thing I see affecting battery life the most is cell standby. The idle time on this phone isn't that great. So the off screen battery drain is pretty poor. If it had good idle time I bet I could hit 10hrs of screen time with no issues. I'll repost my screenshots and you will see that in app sucker, moto display isn't even on the list cause it used very little and is further down on the list. Again the Moto Display is no where near a battery killer. 6hrs of screen time over almost a 40hr run, not many phones can do that especially running these specs.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-42-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-42-59.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-16.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-25.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-19-43-07.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_2014-12-03-20-46-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-03-20-46-57.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 79

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Have u not seen my battery stats and posts in the last few pages? I've been getting awesome battery life with always over 6 to 7hrs of screen time and I have Moto Display active. If you download the GSam battery app you will see that moto display is using very little battery. If you get a chance u should download it and check it out.

The thing I see affecting battery life the most is cell standby. The idle time on this phone isn't that great. So the off screen battery drain is pretty poor. If it had good idle time I bet I could hit 10hrs of screen time with no issues. I'll repost my screenshots and you will see that in app sucker, moto display isn't even on the list cause it used very little and is further down on the list. Again the Moto Display is no where near a battery killer. 6hrs of screen time over almost a 40hr run, not many phones can do that especially running these specs.

Well like I said, tomorrow I'm getting another new phone due to had sw ..hopefully my battery will be a little bit better as well. Who knows....

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Here are my stats after about 34 hours. Still have 6% left. Didn't do much optimizing. Does this look good?

Attachments

• 1192.jpg
    1192.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 1191.jpg
    1191.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 1190.jpg
    1190.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1189.jpg
    1189.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1188.jpg
    1188.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 71

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to screenshot, but got almost 21 hours with almost 8 hours screen time with 23% left. I'm only on day 3 of turbownership

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Here are my stats after about 34 hours. Still have 6% left. Didn't do much optimizing. Does this look good?

That one day plus of battery power do, is that average normal for you? Also, is that under moderate usage or light usage or heavy usage?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I assume this can't be a good sign. I've had a few issues over the past few days. A few days ago it stuck at 100 percent for most of the day. Yesterday I went down to 28 percent and then just suddenly died and when I plug it back in was instantly at 100 percent. So last night I wiped the cache and charged to 100% and then just let it sit idle overnight to see what would happen . It was down to 70% in 2 hours and then 28% this morning. Does it seem worth calling a warranty replacement in on?

d1ef416648ff7152201ae5f253374725.jpg

a2b155bf57eb2bdfc50fdc533f742017.jpg

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
That one day plus of battery power do, is that average normal for you? Also, is that under moderate usage or light usage or heavy usage?

I would say moderate usage. This is my first time actually taking a screenshot and monitoring the battery performance which is why I am asking if its pretty good. I see a ton of people on here getting 5-6 hours of screen time. My Brightness slider is at about 20%

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Screen time on the Turbo rivals the Maxx, but idle drain is a little worse. I'm guessing that a software update (Lollipop?) will fix idle drain.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I assume this can't be a good sign. I've had a few issues over the past few days. A few days ago it stuck at 100 percent for most of the day. Yesterday I went down to 28 percent and then just suddenly died and when I plug it back in was instantly at 100 percent. So last night I wiped the cache and charged to 100% and then just let it sit idle overnight to see what would happen . It was down to 70% in 2 hours and then 28% this morning. Does it seem worth calling a warranty replacement in on?

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/d1ef416648ff7152201ae5f253374725.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/09/a2b155bf57eb2bdfc50fdc533f742017.jpg
Yea at this point I would switch it out. Youve tried everything there is to do so get a different one and hope its better.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Not bad, but you could do better. You have 3 hr. 25 min. screen time. That's not a lot. What is your email sync frequency setting? Location services setting?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does it seem worth calling a warranty replacement in on?

At this point, don't you think so?

The only thing I can think to try is to uninstall GSAM for a day and see if there is a chance that the app itself is causing a drain for some reason. But clearly less than an hour on screen time with 75% usage in less than 12 hours - something isn't right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish