Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
At this point, don't you think so?

The only thing I can think to try is to uninstall GSAM for a day and see if there is a chance that the app itself is causing a drain for some reason. But clearly less than an hour on screen time with 75% usage in less than 12 hours - something isn't right.

I do think so now, yes. I thought maybe the sticking at 100% thing was a fluke, although it surprisingly didn't fix itself when I rebooted several times. The dying at 28% yesterday grabbed my attention as did the sudden 100% reported charge and then the big drop last night I think put me over the edge.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I would say moderate usage. This is my first time actually taking a screenshot and monitoring the battery performance which is why I am asking if its pretty good. I see a ton of people on here getting 5-6 hours of screen time. My Brightness slider is at about 20%
Right right right but you would say that if I'm only I would get 15 to 18 hours a juicer moderate usage on my current phone and I did send for another replacement droid turbo I should be getting more hours on a charge right?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, no go as of yet for a replacement. Called tech support who had me calibrate the battery by holding the power button for 15 sec til the phone rebooted, told me to charge to 100% and then leave it for 30min and then if that doesn't work I have to do a phone wipe and THEN I can get a new phone if its still bad. She asked if she could call me back in an hour to see how it was going. She was very nice, but I wanted to laugh at her. Do you think anything will have declared itself in an hour from now which is about when I should be pulling if off the charger??? :confused:

Incidentally, my phone just charged from 75% to 100% in about 5 minutes, which is not right since it usually charges at 1%/min on the turbo charger. Perhaps that turbo charging feature has finally kicked in. :) Maybe I should have let her call me back in an hour.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, no go as of yet for a replacement. Called tech support who had me calibrate the battery by holding the power button for 15 sec til the phone rebooted, told me to charge to 100% and then leave it for 30min and then if that doesn't work I have to do a phone wipe and THEN I can get a new phone if its still bad. She asked if she could call me back in an hour to see how it was going. She was very nice, but I wanted to laugh at her. Do you think anything will have declared itself in an hour from now which is about when I should be pulling if off the charger??? :confused:

Incidentally, my phone just charged from 75% to 100% in about 5 minutes, which is not right since it usually charges at 1%/min on the turbo charger. Perhaps that turbo charging feature has finally kicked in. :) Maybe I should have let her call me back in an hour.
Actually it right away, the lady from customer service told me the same thing. That I just nodded my head in disbelief though. I'm expecting this new new phone in the mail today to be better hopefully. I'll update everyone as to if that's the case or not. Hopefully it is.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Actually it right away, the lady from customer service told me the same thing. That I just nodded my head in disbelief though. I'm expecting this new new phone in the mail today to be better hopefully. I'll update everyone as to if that's the case or not. Hopefully it is.

So did you end up going through the whole, charge, wipe, etc process before you got a new one?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So did you end up going through the whole, charge, wipe, etc process before you got a new one?
Yep plus I got the whole let the phone said 30 minutes after 100% fully charged to recalibrate the battery. Which might make a little bit of sense but I'm still getting an average of 18 hours on a charge which is bs for this phone if you know what I mean.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I do think so now, yes. I thought maybe the sticking at 100% thing was a fluke, although it surprisingly didn't fix itself when I rebooted several times. The dying at 28% yesterday grabbed my attention as did the sudden 100% reported charge and then the big drop last night I think put me over the edge.

Wait, are you saying that the things suggested in the other thread from last night: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/470235-my-phone-went-28-dead.html#post4113240

didn't work? Specifically,

1. You plugged in the phone and did a cache wipe with the phone plugged in
2. You kept the phone plugged in for 30 to 45 minutes after it reported 100%
3. Also importantly, you stopped using Qi charging

and all of this didn't solve the problem?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Wait, are you saying that the things suggested in the other thread from last night: http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-turbo/470235-my-phone-went-28-dead.html#post4113240

Yes. I did all of that last night. I didn't use the Qi charger last night. Charged with the turbo charger and let it sit overnight. She had me do the one additional thing of holding the power button down for 15sec until the phone rebooted. She said that recalibrates the battery somehow. I'll jump through their hoops (and try it one more time) and see what happens.

ffactoryxx

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Not bad, but you could do better. You have 3 hr. 25 min. screen time. That's not a lot. What is your email sync frequency setting? Location services setting?

I have my exchange email set to 5minutes or push. Turned off Gmail sync. Location battery saving mode. Any other things you can think of?

Posted via the Android Central App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have my exchange email set to 5minutes or push. Turned off Gmail sync. Location battery saving mode. Any other things you can think of?

I could mention a lot more, most of them are listed in this thread.

When you say you turned off Gmail sync, how did you do that? Within the Gmail program itself?

I'd probably turn the exchange email sync down to 15 or 30 minutes, if you can live without email for 15 minutes. [Ha!] I would be curious to know how long your phone takes to poll your email servers. If you can watch your phone's notification area for 5 minutes until the Email program polls your servers you can see how long it takes by watching the busy icon (I think. I can see it with my K-9 email program.) I mention it because email was one of the battery users in your screenshots you posted.

Go into Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Preferred Network Type > LTE/CDMA

Go into Settings > Data Usage > scroll down and long press on Android OS and/or Android System and see what is using battery. Maybe you can shut something else down or completely off.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been following this thread off & on since I got my Turbo and thought I would post what I am getting out of my battery. I'm not going to take the time to post screen shots to "prove it", etc. so take it for what you feel it's worth. I'll take no offense if you call bullish*t.

Settings:
Brightness at 30%.
Location is always on high accuracy, with very light use of Maps.
Bluetooth is always on, only connects in my car.
WiFi always on, only connects at my house, approximately 50% WiFi/50% 4G.
All Moto screen actions, assist & voice are turned off, all screen notifications are turned on.
Home screen widget is Chronus with time, weather & battery %.
I receive & handle an average of 50 emails per day. Using stock e-mail app. Corporate e-mail is 'push', personal e-mail synchs every 15 minutes.
I average 45 minutes of phone calls and 10-12 texts.
Heavy Chrome browser use, news feeds, stock updates & web surfing.
No Facebook or other social media used.

I am now averaging 30 hours battery with 9.5 hours screen-on time.

No complaints here.

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

BTW, are you suggesting to not use Qi at all going forward? And what does that do or what does the Qi cause?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
BTW, are you suggesting to not use Qi at all going forward? And what does that do or what does the Qi cause?

Based on the reports from those threads in the Motorola forum, it seems that the common experience for people reporting these issues of the battery meter not reporting proper levels are people who are charging with Qi. My guess is that there is some sort of issue with the battery meter incorrectly reporting full charge when you use Qi when there is still capacity. If it were me, I'd go through a cycle where I use the phone until it powers off on its own from low battery, fully charge by plugging in without unplugging, and then not using Qi again until there is a software update for the phone.

That's just a guess on my part. I like Qi charging, but I don't *need* it. It's nice to have for me, but I can live with plugging in.

MR Hussey

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
So I've disabled almost all bloatware, kept the motoactions, downloaded Automateit and set it to screen off-sync off, greenify to close all nonessential apps after 5 minutes of screen off, Bluetooth and WiFi on, screen brightness auto, fairly good signal most of the time. I average around 18 hours with 3.5 hours of screen time. The longest I've ever gotten it has been 22 hours. I would consider myself a moderate user.

Is this about what is expected or do I have something fishy going on? I didn't expect the full 48 hours claimed, but I thought I'd be able to hit 20 hours of heavy use with everything enabled no problem.
Oh, and I've had the phone since Oct 31st. That's important to know. Have drained it completely and let it fully recharge several times.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
PowrDroid-
Where do you find sync setting for gmail/google stuff? I found it for my yahoo mail but not gmail.

Also how much do the LTE/CDMA settings matter?
Mine is currently "global"...

Im getting phenomenal battery life... so far....

JF

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
PowrDroid-
Where do you find sync setting for gmail/google stuff? I found it for my yahoo mail but not gmail.

If you don't mind me answering, from home open "Settings". Look under "Accounts" for "Google" and tap it, tap the Google account you want to change, uncheck "Gmail" (and whatever else you don't want to sync.}

Also how much do the LTE/CDMA settings matter?
Mine is currently "global"...

In my experience with a Droid Maxx, it doesn't matter at all. I think that they only time it would matter is if you find yourself getting a message that it cannot find a network and it asks you to connect to a GSM network. That rarely happens to me; in fact, I may have only seen this outside the US.

But I'd say try it for a few days and see if it makes a difference for you.

Johnny Fever

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks.
With yahoo mail, you can select at what time intervals it will sync.
From what I can tell, google only lets you turn off the sync...not set it at intervals. Truth is, I havent checked to see how often its been syncing by default. Does anyone know that?

Yahoos longest time was up to one hour.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell, google only lets you turn off the sync...not set it at intervals. Truth is, I havent checked to see how often its been syncing by default. Does anyone know that?

That's right. It uses push sync, so there is a service that receives updates when they are available from the server, using a service called Google Cloud Messaging. For a lot more info about that, see Google Cloud Messaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So I've disabled almost all bloatware, kept the motoactions, downloaded Automateit and set it to screen off-sync off, greenify to close all nonessential apps after 5 minutes of screen off, Bluetooth and WiFi on, screen brightness auto, fairly good signal most of the time. I average around 18 hours with 3.5 hours of screen time. The longest I've ever gotten it has been 22 hours. I would consider myself a moderate user.

Is this about what is expected or do I have something fishy going on? I didn't expect the full 48 hours claimed, but I thought I'd be able to hit 20 hours of heavy use with everything enabled no problem.
Oh, and I've had the phone since Oct 31st. That's important to know. Have drained it completely and let it fully recharge several times.

As with everything your mileage may vary. Can you post screenshots of the gsam battery monitor apps? Need to see the main screen, the app sucker screen and kernel wake locks screen. I think the screen and 4g signal are the biggest battery hogs. Everyone is going to have different results though. Post the screen shots and there's several members in the thread that will try to help if you like. You also did not mention location settings. That can drain a battery also. But some people use and need it.

Last edited: