Droid Turbo: Battery Life

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I too did a switch out. I am guessing I just had a bad battery. We'll have to see.

Did you have to go through the process of the charging to full and letting sit, doing a phone wipe, etc and still had a problem even after all that? Mine seems to be running ok since I did the stuff yesterday (thankfully not a wipe). We'll see if it stays steady. I let it sit overnight last night and instead of losing 60% it only lost 4%. I guess that's an improvement. :)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to go through the process of the charging to full and letting sit, doing a phone wipe, etc and still had a problem even after all that? Mine seems to be running ok since I did the stuff yesterday (thankfully not a wipe). We'll see if it stays steady. I let it sit overnight last night and instead of losing 60% it only lost 4%. I guess that's an improvement. :)
I have the same thing with my older turbo. Battery will last about 15 to 18 hours on average per charge. I had to do a it was customer service trying out a second new phone. Hopefully better results. I will post results when I go to my fullest full charge.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the same thing with my older turbo. Battery will last about 15 to 18 hours on average per charge. I had to do a it was customer service trying out a second new phone. Hopefully better results. I will post results when I go to my fullest full charge.

What does that mean?

Karl Turbo

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
So I was averaging 2 days after getting a replacement phone due to an issue with the speaker in my first one. I thought I had a better battery as the original phone averaged 30-36 hours which seems typical for average users like me. Then I added a single POP3 account to GMAIL that gets maybe 10 - 20 emails a day, with polling set to 30 minutes.

2014-12-10 05.19.06.jpg

And there you have it. A crappy mail program that can't even do a Select All or Mark All Read sucks 25% of my battery life which is now down to the same 30-36 hours as before based on a single POP3 account. I've seen multiple complaints similar to mine related to Gmail, so I know this isn't an anomaly (also, Gmail used similar battery on 2 separate phones.) Does anybody know of a simple solution to this Gmail issue?

MR Hussey

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay, here are my results from today. A few things-
1. Usage today consisted of texting and web browsing, as well as 15 minutes of playing a game.
2. It's odd that the during the period of time my phone was in deep sleep and had ~1% Discharge per hour, my battery percentage dropped at least 10%. See pic 2.
3. Android and Kernel are both sucking up a lot of power. Too much if you're asking me.
4. My phone wakelocks seem high. I've disabled syncing for most things besides google inbox and contacts. Notifications are turned off on any apps that aren't related to communication or work.

I'm just not sure if this is typical or not. I am definitely not a super heavy user, yet my turbo barely gets me through a day. Should I try wiping my phone and starting over? What are people's results that have gotten a new phone from Motorola?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8278.jpg
    8278.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 8281.jpg
    8281.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 128
  • 8282.jpg
    8282.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 8283.jpg
    8283.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 125

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
And there you have it. A crappy mail program that can't even do a Select All or Mark All Read sucks 25% of my battery life which is now down to the same 30-36 hours as before based on a single POP3 account. I've seen multiple complaints similar to mine related to Gmail, so I know this isn't an anomaly (also, Gmail used similar battery on 2 separate phones.) Does anybody know of a simple solution to this Gmail issue?

Try using the email app k9 instead for non-gmail accounts. That should be better.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
4. My phone wakelocks seem high. I've disabled syncing for most things besides google inbox and contacts. Notifications are turned off on any apps that aren't related to communication or work.

Is inbox required for you? I used it for two full weeks and have gone back to the Gmail app. Inbox definitely drains battery faster than the Gmail app, and has fewer features anyway (including two steps to delete messages, no way to mark messages unread, no ability to change the notification sound, no way to shorten the quotes on message replies.)

Karl Turbo

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Try using the email app k9 instead for non-gmail accounts. That should be better.

I've used K9 before. Didn't really excite me though that was a couple of years ago.. Any reason why it would use less battery? I can generally live with the Gmail after the initial shock of having to manually mark 100 emails as read (can't believe Google never thought of such a blindingly obvious occurrence - I wanted to throw my phone away after setting up 3 email accounts when I first got it.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe that k9 allows select all and it's worth checking out to see if it uses less battery. It may. Could be that Gmail just downloads any available messages each time it checks, while k9 just downloads what it hasn't already. Who knows. You can find out by trying - it's a free app. You can always uninstall it if it doesn't work out.

bfranker

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I too found the stock email and gmail apps to be unacceptable. Tried some and settled on Blue Mail. I like it a lot better than even my previous Android stock email app on my Razr Maxx. I've got 3 POP3 accounts getting checked every hour and it doesn't even show up on my battery meter. LOL I was checking every 15 minutes and don't recall there being any noticeable battery drain with that frequency either.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Soooooo..... This is interesting. Got the VOLTE update last night. No big deal on that but I wonder if they added some other things with it. I have Tasker set up to shut down 4g and background data from a 2200-0600. I usually lose about .5 to 1.0% battery per hour of those hours(at night). Charged up before bed last night, unplugged and watched about 10 minutes of HBO GO, then asleep. Got up today and battery is at 97% and lost average of. 03% overnight. That was at over 9 hrs up time. That's freaking awesome. Maybe it's an a fluke but I also wiped the cache after the update last night. I won't be able to really test it until this weekend. Anyone else noticing something like this?

I don't think it's a fluke, I believe they made some fixes to the idle drain, I don't turn my 4G off so my normal drain is usually 1 - 1.2% per hour, now it's .6-.7, love it! But I heard the stuck at 100%/quick charge/quick drain bug haven't resolved yet.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Glad to see others are seeing this too! Before the OTA update, I used to lose about 1% hour idle drain. Today, took the phone off the charger at 6:45am, but the phone didn't drop to 99% until about 8:30am, and that includes a couple of text messages and some screen time. I won't really be able to measure until I go through more of the day, but it sure looks like whatever was included in the OTA update greatly improved idle drain. Very excited about this. NOW we might be able to get more like the 48 hours mixed usage that was advertised.

Rhyno81

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone have a good app for automating things like wifi on/off? I'd like to be able to find an app that logs my location when I successfully connect to a wifi signal, prompt me to add that location as a stored location, and then auto-start my wifi when I am in those locations and auto-off when I'm out of those locations.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a good app for automating things like wifi on/off? I'd like to be able to find an app that logs my location when I successfully connect to a wifi signal, prompt me to add that location as a stored location, and then auto-start my wifi when I am in those locations and auto-off when I'm out of those locations.
1 Tasker
2 Automateit
3. MacroDroid

I cant take credit for the last one. Someone posted that in a different thread. (EDIT- PowrDroid) I primarily use tasker. However I really like the looks of MacroDroid.

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Llama is good for location based switches as well, though not like what you describe (i.e., when you attach to a WiFi access point, have that location marked as a place that toggles WiFi.) But you can mark a connection to a particular cell tower to toggle WiFi on (and, when you leave that location, toggle it off.)

That said, my huge guess would be that using geofencing like that probably drains the battery faster than just keeping WiFi on all of the time, unless you are doing this for security reasons instead.