Droid Turbo: Battery Life

anon(6017535)

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Idle drain has been SO much better since the volte update. I couldn't touch this battery life with this kind of usage previously!

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 755.jpg
    755.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 756.jpg
    756.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 112

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The application by White Pages. Its as reliable as it gets.

Current Caller ID is a free application with no charge ever. Been using it for more than a year.

Yes :)

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
I've been trying this Whitepages app based on the suggestions here. Mediocre in my opinion. Just got a call from somebody not in any of my contact lists. Several rings before I answered (meaning it had more than enough time to do a lookup). It displayed the number only. After the call was over I saw a name, but not until then. The Verizon service shows me the name instantly.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying this Whitepages app based on the suggestions here. Mediocre in my opinion. Just got a call from somebody not in any of my contact lists. Several rings before I answered (meaning it had more than enough time to do a lookup). It displayed the number only. After the call was over I saw a name, but not until then. The Verizon service shows me the name instantly.

I haven't had this issue but if I did I'd agree with you.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had this issue but if I did I'd agree with you.
I'm hoping it was some kind of fluke because I do like the app and the way it's set up. I appreciate the referrals. I'm going to give it a little more time.

SouthernblondeLKS

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been very pleased with my battery life. Most recently I got 5 days with moderate usage (4-5 hours of phone calls, a few hours of listening to google play, and a few hours of texting). Have my brightness set fairly low and try to keep my apps from autorunning. I also disabled a bunch of the stock bloatware that came with the phone. Honestly, I feel like I could have gotten 6 days if I hadn't felt the need to plug it up during the night. I use the alarm clock app on my phone and though I knew there was a very slim chance the phone would die I still didn't want to take the risk. I generally see a 10-15% battery drain per day. Probably helps that I don't use Wi-fi. I just stick with 4G because I don't use Chrome that often.

Screenshot_2014-12-21-16-48-25.jpg

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
My battery life has progressively gotten worse since the update, especially WiFi usage. Unless it's all in my head. Will post screen shots later on.

Rhinoface

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm at 2 hours 11 minutes of screen on time, 35% battery remaining, and 15 hours of phone on time. I'm really disappointed with my battery on this so far, compared to what other's are getting. Any suggestions, anyone?

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm at 2 hours 11 minutes of screen on time, 35% battery remaining, and 15 hours of phone on time. I'm really disappointed with my battery on this so far, compared to what other's are getting. Any suggestions, anyone?
That sounds about on-par with my experiences. Mysteriously not what so many others get.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

How long have you had the phone? Mine took like 8 days to really settle in.

If you do not use the moto voice always listening feature, turn it off.

Try turning off location services to see if this helps.

Also, for the Moto display feature, turn off the waive your hand setting. This uses sensors which seem to affect the battery.

Even if these are features you really like, just for peace is mind, turn them off for a full day to see if it makes an improvement.

If you see a drastic improvement like I did, then play around with turning back on which ever one of those features you can't live without.

For me though, none of them are as important as the great battery life, which my phone gets when I keep them off.

Right now I'm on 47% battery after 16 hours on with 3 hours, 20 min of screen time and 2 hours talk time.

Last edited:

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been keeping track of my battery stats, I'm running a long term test to track its battery use tgrough the life of the phone. I'll upload what I have so far later. I consistently get 40-48 hours of battery life with about 4-4.5 hours of screen in time. I don't charge my phone every night, I charge it when it needs it (about 30-25%). I'm doing this to keep the charge discharge cycles down. Over all I am very happy with the battery life. I don't have to worry anymore like I did with the gnex which battery sucked! I could watch it go down by the minute! This phone I'll be in WiFi on the internet and over a half hour see it go down by 1%!! Also I have disabled all the moto and Verizon bloatware, don't need the phone listening or waiting to turn on by itself. And seeing that I don't run to 0 every time I am confident I could easily get way over two days of battery life, I think also as others have said all of us are not average users.

I'll upload the excel sheet of all my battery stats so far later

Last edited:

davejavu_31

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Are disabling moto and bloatware the only things you've done to help your battery life? I can get to two days in one charge, but only with light use and about 2.5ish hours of screen time - brightness is pretty low, moto is on, and location is set to battery saver.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much, I disabled any moto app, Verizon app etc. When my phones in pocket I turn off location, WiFi and data and sync. Turn it on when I turn the screen in to use it and then off when I'm done. At night I usually out it in airplaine mode and sync and all other stuff off so its my alarm clock. Usually at night I just turn off sync data and WiFi and I will reboot it to make sure no app is running that won't close.

So my difference from you is I use no moto, location off unless I need it on and I use auto brightness. I also have NO apps that use battery usage. No games, no Facebook, etc. All my screen on time is stuff like email, texting, chrome, drive, calendar, keep etc. I have noticed by using the camera alot uses a lot of battery, over a couple days I took about 500 pictures and 12 videos and you'll see in my excel when I get around to uploading it I have comments with it

Disabled Apps
amazon
amazon app suite
amazon kindle
amazon music
android live walpapers
amazon appstore
audible
audio effects
basic daydreams
black hole
bubbles
calender (green one, use stock google one)
call my droid
caller name id
cloud
cloud print
com.android.wallpaper.holospiral
com.verizon.permission.appdirectedsms
com.verizon.permissions.vzwappapn
droid zap
email (the blue one)
emergency alters
face unlock
family base companion
google pinyin input
google play books
googe play games
google play music
google play newsstand
google text to speechengine
help
homescreen tips
hp print service plugin
imdb
magic smoke wallpaper
message +
mobile hotspot
moto
moto actions
moto display
moto voice
motorola connect
motorola flip case
motorola migrate
music vizualization wallpaper
my inforzone
my verizon mobile
nfl mobile
phase beam
photo screensavers
print spooler
slacker radio
softcard
talk back
verizonlocation agent
verizon login
verizon support and protection
vz navigation
youtube

I wish i could disable:
setup wizard and voicemail

I also wish i could disable the stock home screen app, I use google now and disabled the hotword detection

This excel is the up to date version, I will be plugging in my phone soon so it doesnt have my current which is about:

28%
1 d 21 h 9 m

screen
32%
5h 11 m

call stby
25%
1d12h 40 m 3% no signal

voice calls 4%
18m
Doird Turbo Battery Stats.jpg

Last edited:

davejavu_31

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much, I disabled any moto app, Verizon app etc. When my phones in pocket I turn off location, WiFi and data and sync. Turn it on when I turn the screen in to use it and then off when I'm done. At night I usually out it in airplaine mode and sync and all other stuff off so its my alarm clock. Usually at night I just turn off sync data and WiFi and I will reboot it to make sure no app is running that won't close.

So my difference from you is I use no moto, location off unless I need it on and I use auto brightness. I also have NO apps that use battery usage. No games, no Facebook, etc. All my screen on time is stuff like email, texting, chrome, drive, calendar, keep etc. I have noticed by using the camera alot uses a lot of battery, over a couple days I took about 500 pictures and 12 videos and you'll see in my excel when I get around to uploading it I have comments with it

Thanks! It's super helpful knowing exactly how people are getting this kind of battery life as far as personal usage habits. Last question then is - do you use an app like tasker to automate your data/wifi/airplane mode, or do you change them manually?

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
your welcome, I dont use any program like that. I try to do it myself because that program would use some kind of battery. When I turn on my phone if im going to text and then turn it off i wont turn anything on (even mms download with out 3g or 4g). If i turn the screen on knowing im going to use chrome i will use the widget on my home screen (the one that came with the phone) or the pull down menus quick settings to turn on wifi and sync if im home or turn on data if im on the road. then when im done i turn off everything and shut off the screen. Really doesnt take much effort or thinking to do. not like...apple... where you would have to do into the settings menu everytime. the widget makes it easy

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm super happy with the battery life in getting

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419471318878.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419471318878.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 71
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419471331699.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419471331699.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 73

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
My battery life isn't as amazing as everyone else's, but it's really good for me personally. I have around 90% of the bloatware disabled except for the moto apps and 2 of the Verizon ones.

Attachments

• 1729.jpg
    1729.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 1730.jpg
    1730.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 155

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I would think snapchat uses a good battery chunk, as I have noticed using the camera alot uses aot of battery so add in the snap chat app syncing for new incoming pictures etc. Also I see you have 4g on and wifi on. When you arent using data do you disable that and sync? I know my turbo will both send and recieve pictre messages without any data on and I turn on data when I will be using it.

BlackDragon22

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I would think snapchat uses a good battery chunk, as I have noticed using the camera alot uses aot of battery so add in the snap chat app syncing for new incoming pictures etc. Also I see you have 4g on and wifi on. When you arent using data do you disable that and sync? I know my turbo will both send and recieve pictre messages without any data on and I turn on data when I will be using it.
I shut the setting off that connects to data when you have a weak connection yesterday evening, so I didn't get a chance to see how that helped my battery. On my iPhone 5, I used to use snapchat all day and my battery would drain extremely quickly. On my turbo, however, it doesn't drain that fast (it drains faster than normal use because of the syncing, camera, etc. as you mentioned).

Now that I have a new smart watch, my bluetooth is on constantly. I'll see how that affects my battery as well and keep everyone posted. I'm still as amazed with this phone as I was on day one.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
To those who are trying to increase battery life. The clear cache, disable bloat, and use only moto apps that you need. I'm consistently getting 10% battery life for each hour of screen on time. Or 25% for two hours on time with heavier usage. But normal usage is even better. I never turn off data, but do turn off WiFi if away from home. That and my parents WiFi are the only ones I use. It took almost a month for my battery to really get good. And qi charging is not as good as turbo charging. The turbo charge gives better and longer times on usage levels. One week straight I qi charged and all stats were 15 to 30% less than turbo charging. I.e. the most sot I could do with qi 6 hours...turbo 7.5 to 8+. Hope that helps. And the comprehensive list of disabled apps...is spot on!!

DRoID TuRBo this...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad