Droid Turbo: Battery Life

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
This is my husband's phone, pics taken last night when he finally couldn't take it anymore and needed to charge again. (In actuality, he could've lasted through today I think.)
Other than the SoT, I'll need to compare my phone to his to see what he's doing and what I could do to get closer to this battery life.
This Turbo is a BEAST!
Screenshot_2015-02-09-22-40-42.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-09-22-41-02.jpgScreenshot_2015-02-09-22-41-11.jpg

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
When I put my phone down I have GPS, data, BT and WiFi off. If I turn on my screen and need any of them ill turn them back on and off as I need. I leave sync on always because its a pain in the neck. If i disable sync and then reenable it sometimes chrome wont be checked and i have to go re check the box to sync chrome- very annoying. when i go to sleep i turn it on airplane mode and restart to close all apps

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I use Tasker. I have triggers set as screen timeout. Screen off-shuts down background sync, shuts off 4g, shuts off wifi, and shuts off Bluetooth. Screen on- re-enabled everything. For me it works flawlessly. I want to be able to control what runs in the background. I just don't see the point of data and battery being used when the phone isn't being used. It also extends this already awesome battery. I usually charge around 50% and 48 hours. Somewhere in this thread are screen shots showing my setup and results.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
This is my husband's phone, pics taken last night when he finally couldn't take it anymore and needed to charge again. (In actuality, he could've lasted through today I think.)
Other than the SoT, I'll need to compare my phone to his to see what he's doing and what I could do to get closer to this battery life.
This Turbo is a BEAST!
View attachment 162869View attachment 162870View attachment 162871

Maybe I don't know how to properly read these charts as of yet, but from what I can see, he really didn't do anything on the phone, did he? Less than an hour and a half on screen time over 3-days, seems as if not anything was really done on the phone. Don't get me wrong, that's still awesome battery life, but it doesn't appear the phone was used for anything.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I don't know how to properly read these charts as of yet, but from what I can see, he really didn't do anything on the phone, did he? Less than an hour and a half on screen time over 3-days, seems as if not anything was really done on the phone. Don't get me wrong, that's still awesome battery life, but it doesn't appear the phone was used for anything.

You are correct. But we all use it differently. I have gone 3 days before with about 5-6 hours screen time. But there are so many things that go into battery life I don't think you can truly compare 2 different users. Signal strength, screen brightness, background apps, gaming and apps, WiFi connection vs 4g. These are just the first examples that come to mind.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
You are correct. But we all use it differently. I have gone 3 days before with about 5-6 hours screen time. But there are so many things that go into battery life I don't think you can truly compare 2 different users. Signal strength, screen brightness, background apps, gaming and apps.

Thanks, I understand that. I would have loved to seen the stats for the 3-days with 5-hours OST. I don't think I've ever come close to that as of yet and don't expect that I ever will, even with the Turbo.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I understand that. I would have loved to seen the stats for the 3-days with 5-hours OST. I don't think I've ever come close to that as of yet and don't expect that I ever will, even with the Turbo.

I think there are screen shots somewhere back in the 100 pages of this thread. Check them out. There's a lot of good tips in this thread specifically.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

He used his phone. He is just extremely quick when checking company email or texting with me.
His Turbo is also very bare-knuckled. He hasn't put anything on it.. only downloaded a handful of apps needed for his business travel (i.e., United, Poly World Clocks) and a few for banking and passwords. Other than that, he hasn't allowed me to do anything to it. Although I did talk him into letting me at least disable the bloatware. And even that took a certain amount of pleading on my part.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
if my phone is at 100% when i pull it off the charger and i don't use it for 10 hours while it is on standby, it usually is at about 91%.

does that seem normal - a 9% drop in about 9 hours just on standby?

thanks

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
if my phone is at 100% when i pull it off the charger and i don't use it for 10 hours while it is on standby, it usually is at about 91%.

does that seem normal - a 9% drop in about 9 hours just on standby?

thanks

Not sure how you'd not use it for 10 hours after a charge (unless you charge it right before bed and get a REAL good night's sleep). But, the discharge sounds about right. Overnight, my battery will typically drain 9-11% over 7-8 hours.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
my battery usually drops about 2-5% overnight

thats with putting it on airplane mode and disabling bt, wifi, etc and using it for my alarm. If I left it normal id say 5-8%, 10% or more probably indicates something is syncing

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I dont want to tell you how to use your phone, but I have done lots of research and running these batteries to 3% isnt exactly good for these batteries

You can do it once in a while with no harm but this is correct. The juice is there if you need it but Lithium Ion batteries LOVE juice. Charge them when you can! I understand the need to go without long charges but I'm not sure why others don't want to charge each night.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
the proper care for lithium ion batteries is to usually run them down to about 25% battery and then charge back to 100 %. Every 30 days perform at calibration (not for the battery memory effect as Li-Ions dont have that) but to calibrate the devices built in battery sensor) by running it down to 5-7%. I do 7 because amounts under there can ruin the battery. These batteries are also not designed to have fade free power after many many charge-discharge cycles. If you charge it everytime you hit 75% saying "Im running low" thats a good way to deteriorate the battery because youll be using up many more charge cycles each day.

On the Turbo, I use 1 charge cycle every 2-4 days (based on charging at 25-30%) because the battery life is so good. This will help extend the batteries life. If anyone disagrees on this method then please let me know what you do, I understand there is some debate in how to care for batteries so I am curious what others do. Also if anyone doesnt know I am running a long term statistical analysis on the battery life and health in my phone. I have recorded every piece of important battery and usage information since I bought the phone a few months ago.