Will you use the Turbo Charger as your daily charger?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
It comforts me that its the only charger included (they wouldn't have done that if it was bad, right?), but since I'll never need a mid-day charge I wonder if it would be at all healthier for the battery to simply use a normal 1a charger overnight.

wcshort22

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will you use the turbo charger as your daily charger?

The charging slows as the percentage goes up so I don't think it hurts it too bad if at all

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm a fan of using exclusively whatever charger is included in the box. I think this is why my previous Droids last so long.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

My current plan is to keep the turbo charger in my brief case for emergency charge purposes. Otherwise, I'll probably just drop the phone on a QI pad.

EDIT: The turbo charger is wicked fast BTW. I used it to get my initial 100% and it took very little time to get there.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

It comforts me that its the only charger included (they wouldn't have done that if it was bad, right?), but since I'll never need a mid-day charge I wonder if it would be at all healthier for the battery to simply use a normal 1a charger overnight.

I was wondering the same. I asked that question in the other thread. Does the turbo charger speed hurt the battery when compared to a slower charger? Should it be used when absolutely necessary or every day/night? I assume the answers to these questions are no, it does not harm the battery. I don't think that Moto would have included it stock if it did. They assume (rightfully) that we will all use the included charger as our main charger for this phone. There would be future lawsuits if it damaged the components of the phone, including the battery.

It is interesting to discuss though. Everybody has something different to say when it comes to these Li-Ion batteries. My father bought the Note 4 the other day and they told him to let the phone discharge to 5% before fully charging it to 100% at least three times to "condition" the battery. They further said that if you charge your phone at 50% instead of when it gets low, that the phone recognizes 50% as being "low" and battery life will decrease.

Whether or not that is true, my father listened to the T-Mobile salesman for his previous phone, the G2, and noticed significantly less battery life when he started charging at 50% after always charging when it got very low.

smd4usc

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Is it both pieces that make it turbo charge or is it the part that plugs into the wall?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Is it both pieces that make it turbo charge or is it the part that plugs into the wall?
The USB cable that goes from the wall wart to the phone looks like an ordinary USB cable.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Just the wall part, and requires the hardware in compatible phone chipsets (like the Turbo) in order to work at the higher charge rate.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

aue123

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

i tried plugging the Droid Turbo charger into the Droid Maxx to see if I could even get a "regular" charge and it doesn't even register on the phone.

aue123

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Turning off the Turbo at 11% and plugging into the Turbo charger, 33 minutes later its at 48% Phone feels slightly "warm"

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

i tried plugging the Droid Turbo charger into the Droid Maxx to see if I could even get a "regular" charge and it doesn't even register on the phone.

That's odd. I plugged it into my Ultra and it charged just fine.

I probably won't use the Turbo charger much. I'm not comfortable with how warm it gets even though it probably won't really cause much damage. I'll only be charging it at nighttime so the old school charger should work just fine.

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Not here. We have a high powered USB hub that we charge our phones and bluetooth devices through. Will be plugging a Qi charger into a port though instead of plugging the phone in every night.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I was wondering the same. I asked that question in the other thread. Does the turbo charger speed hurt the battery when compared to a slower charger? Should it be used when absolutely necessary or every day/night? I assume the answers to these questions are no, it does not harm the battery. I don't think that Moto would have included it stock if it did. They assume (rightfully) that we will all use the included charger as our main charger for this phone. There would be future lawsuits if it damaged the components of the phone, including the battery.

It is interesting to discuss though. Everybody has something different to say when it comes to these Li-Ion batteries. My father bought the Note 4 the other day and they told him to let the phone discharge to 5% before fully charging it to 100% at least three times to "condition" the battery. They further said that if you charge your phone at 50% instead of when it gets low, that the phone recognizes 50% as being "low" and battery life will decrease.

Whether or not that is true, my father listened to the T-Mobile salesman for his previous phone, the G2, and noticed significantly less battery life when he started charging at 50% after always charging when it got very low.

A lot of the "speed" of a charger is related to the USB standards regarding the power output. For the most part, the rate at which a charger can charge a device is dependent on the amps that the charger can deliver, because USB power is generally set at 5V (Amps x Volts = Watts). What Motorola did with the "Turbo Charger" is actually increase the voltage that it can deliver to higher than 5V. If you look at the specifications on the charger, I believe it's actually rated to provide output at 3 different power levels: the standard 5V, 9V, and 12V. By doing this, they are able to deliver considerable more watts than a standard USB changer which is limited to 5V output.

In order to comply with USB, the charger must normally operate at the standard output of 5V, and it only steps the voltage up with the device it's connected to is designed to use it.

The Droid Turbo's processor is built recognize the required power level and accept the higher voltage output, and then step back once fully charged, just as any other phone does. For this reason, you should have no issues plugging it in and walking away and/or leaving it charging overnight -- at least not any more than any other phone with a regular charger. (The "should I charge my phone" overnight is separate argument in and of itself).

I've noticed the phone gets quite warm when charging on the turbo charger, but cools down quickly once it reaches 100% battery, even if it's still plugged in.

The USB cable that goes from the wall wart to the phone looks like an ordinary USB cable.

The part that plugs into the wall is what delivers the extra power, however I wouldn't be surprised if the cable were specially made as well...it's possible that if you used a generic USB cable that the turbo charging features wouldn't work. (I haven't tested that)

I'm kind of surprised by this, because it did work with my tablet and my bother in-law's phone. Whether it works or not, just know that unless the phone has a processor that allows it to use the "turbo charger" setting, it will charge at 5V/1.6A and not the higher power levels, so it won't charge other devices any faster than their usual charger.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I had posted this, but it got buried in a battery life thread. I'm going to post it here, since it has good information pertaining to this subject.

"To put everybody's concerns at ease. I've been researching Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 to see if it is damaging to the phone or battery. On QC's website, they have done extensive testing (done by UL) and have built temperature monitoring software into their new chipsets that communicates with the charger and adjusts accordingly. I believe that when our phones do get hot due to Turbocharging, which is a Motorola re-brand for QuickCharge 2.0, it has been tested to not harm our phones or the battery within them. Technology advances at a rapid pace, and just like lithium ion capacity increased over the years, the temperature threshold must have as well. Just think, Motorola and Qualcomm would not publicly release a product that may potentially cause hardware damage, the lawsuits would ruin their company. I believe that this feature has been thoroughly tested and is fully baked. We shouldn't worry. "

http://industries.ul.com/blog/qualcomm-quick-charge-2-0

https://www.qualcomm.com/info/analyst-relations/qualcomm-quick-charge

Last edited:

NoahForeman

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

Qi every night, Turbo Charger only for emergencies.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Droid Turbo.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I ordered the turbo charger to use with my 2014 Moto X, and I must say it's awesome - I just love it! I was also a bit nervous about using it as my daily charger, but I'm starting to use it more and more. It's really neat Moto ships it with the Turbo, since I paid over $40 for mine. I sincerely don't think Moto would send only the turbo charger if it wasn't safe to use all the time, even overnight. They have to assume a number of Turbo owners are switching from iPhones and don't have one or two (or a drawer full in my case) of old chargers to fall back on, right?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I ordered the turbo charger to use with my 2014 Moto X, and I must say it's awesome - I just love it! I was also a bit nervous about using it as my daily charger, but I'm starting to use it more and more. It's really neat Moto ships it with the Turbo, since I paid over $40 for mine. I sincerely don't think Moto would send only the turbo charger if it wasn't safe to use all the time, even overnight. They have to assume a number of Turbo owners are switching from iPhones and don't have one or two (or a drawer full in my case) of old chargers to fall back on, right?

I would think those are safe assumptions. If a phone ships with a charger, and provides no warnings to the contrary, you HAVE to be able to assume that it's safe for everyday use.

I mean, the battery in the Turbo is so large that it takes a LONG time to charge on a standard USB charger as it is!

Zeppelin2k

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

I've been using a normal USB charger over the turbocharger. Yes, the turbocharger is safe and Moto would not ship it otherwise.. your phone is not going to catch fire because you're using it. The point is, it's not a matter of "causing irreparable hardware damage," it's about maximizing battery life. It's known that keeping a Li battery at high temperatures is going to lower it's life span (read How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University). The turbocharger is clearly outputting higher wattage to charge faster, which must generate more heat than a standard charger (that's just physics, you can't really get around this). And higher temperatures are going to lower the batter lifespan.

How much of an effect this will have I can't say. I don't know how much hotter the battery gets with either charger (although speaking of this, it's pretty easy to monitor temps and I should do so...). For all I know, this newer battery is much better at handling high temps, but I haven't heard anything about this. So for now, I'll stick with a normal charger unless I need the turbo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc