08-27-2016 09:17 PM
92 1234
tools
    they told him to let the phone discharge to 5% before fully charging it to 100% at least three times to "condition" the battery. They further said that if you charge your phone at 50% instead of when it gets low, that the phone recognizes 50% as being "low" and battery life will decrease.
    That is really old advice... From before the days of Lithium batteries... It is no longer accurate
    12-01-2014 10:37 AM
    I haven't even taken the quick charger out of the Turbo box. I use my Tylt charger as my main charger and don't use anything else.
    12-01-2014 11:53 AM

Edit: A good article pertaining to Quick Charge 2.0: http://www.androidauthority.com/quic...lained-563838/

Edit: Found a well-written comment on an article: "Turbo Charge 2.0 uses different arrangement of resistors, capacitors and inductors than regular chargers which makes it capable to produce higher output voltage without increasing current flow and hence has no to very less effect on battery!"
    So, is there definitive proof that the 'turbocharge' doesn't harm battery life over time with regular use? I have yet to find any official word saying as much.
    12-02-2014 08:57 AM
    I did the same exact thing last night prior to activating my Turbo and the Turbo charger worked great on my Droid Maxx as does the charger from my Verizon Ellipsis 7 which charges my Maxx in about an hour from almost depleted.
    12-02-2014 09:20 AM
    So, is there definitive proof that the 'turbocharge' doesn't harm battery life over time with regular use? I have yet to find any official word saying as much.
    No definite word yet. I sent an email to UL and Qualcomm, and haven't heard anything back. I'm sure there must be some type of data from phones that used QuickCharge 1.0 and earlier phones that used QuickCharge 2.0 such as the LG G2. The hottest I've seen my phone get is 40 degrees Celsius, or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. It sounds hot, but as another member pointed out, his phone gets just as hot from using turn by turn nav. I don't think that it gets hot enough to damage the phone. The question is: Does the rapid charging significantly lessen the amount of cycles of the battery?
    12-03-2014 12:04 AM
    I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'll offer this and please forgive any redundancy.

1. Motorola Shipped it as OEM the and that's good enough for me. I don't see a car charger as a bad second option.

2. Many folks forget that a Lithium Ion cell is different in many ways than a Ni Cad. And most of these peeps have the same Ni Cad mentality, that is, charge it up to full, and drain it down to about 5-10% and re-charge it. That's how a Ni Cad works best and has optimum life. Lithium Ion is DIFFERENT. That is, it's designed to be kept "topped off" with a charge. Yes, we have wonderful capacity, and it sure helps when we are away from our chargers or areas we can recharge...but the point being, keeping the battery topped off as much as possible will give you optimum battery life with a Lithium Ion Cell, rather than constantly running them down to 5-10% and recharging.

Whereas we would ruin a NiCad in short order by keeping them topped off, the Li-Ion battery thrives. Just FYI.

BTW, my phone battery's temperature hasn't gotten the least bit warm in using the Turbo Charger. YMMV.
    Bitterman likes this.
    12-03-2014 04:18 PM
    Ditto with 1BlinkGone that I haven't read all of the posts (yet), but I'll give my 2 cents on charging plans:

As of now, I'm going to use my Tylt Vu most of the time - also helps to justify the cost, when just last week I had vowed never to splurge for a Qi charger - then their Black Fri deal comes and I buy two, heh. I also have the charger from my Razr Maxx HD. Every now and then I'll use the turbo charger, but not at scheduled times or anything.

I'm somewhat worried that 1-2 years from now, there's going to be a bunch of anecdotal and research data showing that many daily turbo chargers (at least from this 1st 'turbo generation') are going to see their battery performance degrade significantly or die off prematurely. I could be worried about nothing, but at least I am way more confident that my charging methods won't risk being detrimental to the battery over the long haul.

My concern for long-term battery health is of even greater emphasis because of the Droid Turbo's nonremovable battery and having just locked into this phone on a 2 yr contract. Gotta last!
    12-03-2014 07:34 PM
    i tried plugging the Droid Turbo charger into the Droid Maxx to see if I could even get a "regular" charge and it doesn't even register on the phone.
    I did the same thing and it charged the max faster than the charger that came with it. Maybe its my imagination.
    01-13-2015 08:26 PM
    It's the only charger I use and I use it every other day. My phone generally lasts two days before I need to recharge it.
    01-14-2015 10:54 AM
    If someone were to charge something other than a Droid Turbo on the Turbo's turbo charger, do they risk damage to other other device?
    01-14-2015 01:26 PM
    I only use it when I need a quick boast, that's been twice since November 2nd. Wireless charging is the way to go IMHO.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-14-2015 01:31 PM
    If someone were to charge something other than a Droid Turbo on the Turbo's turbo charger, do they risk damage to other other device?
    The reason I'm asking is that we have other devices (phones and tablets) that use the same interface and rather than have a bunch of different chargers plugged-in...............................................................
    01-14-2015 01:59 PM
    Well said...pure factual information and not just user experience (non controlled) or user speculation.
    01-20-2015 03:06 PM
    I have charged many devices on it with no problems. The quick charge should only run on devices with that standard.
    01-20-2015 06:13 PM
    Ok, thx.

Sent with my Kindle Fire HDX 7" via Tapatalk.
    01-20-2015 06:36 PM
    Ok. So we have established the fact that the including charger indeed can be used every day... Great.

Im still wondering this though. What if I want to use a regular old fashioned android charger during the night. Is that all right? Will it damage the battery? That is my question.

I know I can use the Qualcomm Quick Charge all the time. But I want to use an old charger, unless someone has reason to beleive that it will ruin the battery

I have 2-3 quick 2.0 chargers. One at work. One in my laptop bag. etc... I use those in everyday life if I need the charging to be quick.
    02-12-2015 04:09 AM
    Ok. So we have established the fact that the including charger indeed can be used every day... Great.

Im still wondering this though. What if I want to use a regular old fashioned android charger during the night. Is that all right? Will it damage the battery? That is my question.

I know I can use the Qualcomm Quick Charge all the time. But I want to use an old charger, unless someone has reason to beleive that it will ruin the battery

I have 2-3 quick 2.0 chargers. One at work. One in my laptop bag. etc... I use those in everyday life if I need the charging to be quick.
    Yes, if it connects with USB on one end to a power source, you can connect it to your phone. Including your PC. Pretty much anything other than a USB cable spliced to jumper cables connected directly to your car battery should be safe. But, if you want to try that last one and get back with us, please take video. It could turn out to be the ULTRA TURBO CHARGER (or just a really funny video).
    02-12-2015 05:57 AM
    hahahahahahhahahahhahhahahahaha

No but seriously. Will it deteriorate the capacity of the battery if you use a regular micro-usb charger and not the included one?
    02-12-2015 06:11 AM
    I'd make sure that the charger was at least 5 volt, 1 amp output. I wouldn't use a charger less than 1 amp.

If you start noticing strange battery behavior (really fast reported drain, staying at full charge for hours - things like that) go back to the turbo charger.
    02-12-2015 06:51 AM
    The one on the night table is 5V 1A, genuine Samsung charger
    02-12-2015 07:26 AM
    i don't think it is a big deal.

they made the turbo charger for the phone so it has to be safe.
    02-12-2015 08:57 AM
    The one on the night table is 5V 1A, genuine Samsung charger
    You're golden.
    02-12-2015 09:44 AM
    I've been using the Turbo charger, exclusively, over the last month. I noticed the battery acts better/drains more appropriately with a Turbo charge. So, I figure the phone is probably calibrated specifically for a turbo charge. The heat generated is still a slight concern, but hoping Moto took that into account and prepared appropriately or found it won't have a long term negative impact.
    02-12-2015 10:44 AM

That's all I use. Haven't used the turbo charger except for the first week. I've got way too many regular chargers to give up using them. I charge every other night and use an old blackberry charger next to the bed.
    02-13-2015 09:56 PM
    there is no harm to use a standard old charger but why would you prefer to?
    02-13-2015 11:32 PM
92 1234