Will you use the Turbo Charger as your daily charger?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I suppose there are a number of issues discussed here. For one, the heat generated by running power hungry apps is not necessarily internal battery heat, so not sure it has the same implications. As for "charge memory", I recall reading that li-Ion batteries are not subject to that. The Turbo charger will charge my Maxx, but not at the higher output. I do believe the technology has been well tested, but I prefer the convenience of a qi charger and will continue to use that option for daily charging. I'm looking for a qi with a higher output. Thought I had read about one rated at 2 amps but now I can't find it. Power transfer on most of them is only 70%.

Posted via the Android Central App

I've been wondering about that as well. I'd assume they will show up at some point.

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Just so we are all on the same page here, as I understand Qualcomms Quick Charge vs Turbo Charger....QC uses a constant 5V output with up to 3A charge current (internally limited by your device). The Turbo Charger uses a variable output voltage, 5V, 9V, and 12V with either 1.6A or 1.2A charge current controlled by the charger and limited by your device. In either case, its the "power" (or ultimately the current) that does the work. Both chargers use a maximum 15W of available power. It is NOT the USB cable that determines the charge rate. Any standard cable will work.

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that not all USB cables are interchangeable. I have a Jawbone Era and noticed that the cable that came with it would not work on my Droid Maxx, but the cable from the Maxx would work with the Era. I suspect that the cable from the Maxx uses an extra pin on the USB that is not used by the Era. I haven't checked this yet, but I'll bet the cable from the Era will not work with my Turbo Charger. Hard to keep them separate since they look identical. I have enough of them now that I should be able to get rid of the one that isn't interchangeable.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I use monoprice cables and everyone has worked on everything I've tried them on, including the turbo. They are the cheapest out there.

graygr

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Since my last reply, I have tried every USB to microUSB cable I have and they all work fine. I plugged in my Turbo at 31% and it was CHARGED in 65 minutes.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Since my last reply, I have tried every USB to microUSB cable I have and they all work fine. I plugged in my Turbo at 31% and it was CHARGED in 65 minutes.

Same. I've also tried non Turbo chargers and using them takes FOREVER. lol

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

blackhawk77#WN

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
What you are comparing is Qualcomm Quick Charge 1.0 to Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0. Motorola just relabeled quick charge 2.0 as "turbocharging".

Just so we are all on the same page here, as I understand Qualcomms Quick Charge vs Turbo Charger....QC uses a constant 5V output with up to 3A charge current (internally limited by your device). The Turbo Charger uses a variable output voltage, 5V, 9V, and 12V with either 1.6A or 1.2A charge current controlled by the charger and limited by your device. In either case, its the "power" (or ultimately the current) that does the work. Both chargers use a maximum 15W of available power. It is NOT the USB cable that determines the charge rate. Any standard cable will work.

JMcMusicman

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you use the turbo charger as your daily charger?

they told him to let the phone discharge to 5% before fully charging it to 100% at least three times to "condition" the battery. They further said that if you charge your phone at 50% instead of when it gets low, that the phone recognizes 50% as being "low" and battery life will decrease.

That is really old advice... From before the days of Lithium batteries... It is no longer accurate

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

I haven't even taken the quick charger out of the Turbo box. I use my Tylt charger as my main charger and don't use anything else.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Edit: A good article pertaining to Quick Charge 2.0: http://www.androidauthority.com/quick-charge-explained-563838/

Edit: Found a well-written comment on an article: "Turbo Charge 2.0 uses different arrangement of resistors, capacitors and inductors than regular chargers which makes it capable to produce higher output voltage without increasing current flow and hence has no to very less effect on battery!"

So, is there definitive proof that the 'turbocharge' doesn't harm battery life over time with regular use? I have yet to find any official word saying as much.

JettyMN

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

I did the same exact thing last night prior to activating my Turbo and the Turbo charger worked great on my Droid Maxx as does the charger from my Verizon Ellipsis 7 which charges my Maxx in about an hour from almost depleted.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

So, is there definitive proof that the 'turbocharge' doesn't harm battery life over time with regular use? I have yet to find any official word saying as much.

No definite word yet. I sent an email to UL and Qualcomm, and haven't heard anything back. I'm sure there must be some type of data from phones that used QuickCharge 1.0 and earlier phones that used QuickCharge 2.0 such as the LG G2. The hottest I've seen my phone get is 40 degrees Celsius, or 104 degrees Fahrenheit. It sounds hot, but as another member pointed out, his phone gets just as hot from using turn by turn nav. I don't think that it gets hot enough to damage the phone. The question is: Does the rapid charging significantly lessen the amount of cycles of the battery?

1BlinkGone

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'll offer this and please forgive any redundancy.

1. Motorola Shipped it as OEM the and that's good enough for me. I don't see a car charger as a bad second option.

2. Many folks forget that a Lithium Ion cell is different in many ways than a Ni Cad. And most of these peeps have the same Ni Cad mentality, that is, charge it up to full, and drain it down to about 5-10% and re-charge it. That's how a Ni Cad works best and has optimum life. Lithium Ion is DIFFERENT. That is, it's designed to be kept "topped off" with a charge. Yes, we have wonderful capacity, and it sure helps when we are away from our chargers or areas we can recharge...but the point being, keeping the battery topped off as much as possible will give you optimum battery life with a Lithium Ion Cell, rather than constantly running them down to 5-10% and recharging.

Whereas we would ruin a NiCad in short order by keeping them topped off, the Li-Ion battery thrives. Just FYI.

BTW, my phone battery's temperature hasn't gotten the least bit warm in using the Turbo Charger. YMMV.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

Ditto with 1BlinkGone that I haven't read all of the posts (yet), but I'll give my 2 cents on charging plans:

As of now, I'm going to use my Tylt Vu most of the time - also helps to justify the cost, when just last week I had vowed never to splurge for a Qi charger - then their Black Fri deal comes and I buy two, heh. I also have the charger from my Razr Maxx HD. Every now and then I'll use the turbo charger, but not at scheduled times or anything.

I'm somewhat worried that 1-2 years from now, there's going to be a bunch of anecdotal and research data showing that many daily turbo chargers (at least from this 1st 'turbo generation') are going to see their battery performance degrade significantly or die off prematurely. I could be worried about nothing, but at least I am way more confident that my charging methods won't risk being detrimental to the battery over the long haul.

My concern for long-term battery health is of even greater emphasis because of the Droid Turbo's nonremovable battery and having just locked into this phone on a 2 yr contract. Gotta last!

Joshua Ketcham

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site

i tried plugging the Droid Turbo charger into the Droid Maxx to see if I could even get a "regular" charge and it doesn't even register on the phone.

I did the same thing and it charged the max faster than the charger that came with it. Maybe its my imagination.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

It's the only charger I use and I use it every other day. My phone generally lasts two days before I need to recharge it.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site

If someone were to charge something other than a Droid Turbo on the Turbo's turbo charger, do they risk damage to other other device?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34