12-30-2014 08:14 PM
34 12
tools
    I'm also a prospective purchaser and have never owned a Moto smartphone. To see discussions on radio signal and camera quality being addressed as annoyances that *may* be fixable in a software update leaves me questioning Motorola's quality control processes. Do they just view all of their retail customers as beta testers?
    11-26-2014 09:48 PM
    Pretty par for the course these days unfortunately.
    11-27-2014 12:56 AM
    Went there over the weekend and turbo was slightly higher or equal in dB with my moto x. Z3v and Note 4 were about the same too.
    BUT Moto X 2014 blew them all away by 20dB + difference (below). DT is a big disappointment with the radios from what I've heard around.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    11-27-2014 07:05 AM
    FWIW, I had the Samsung S3 for over 2 years before the Turbo. My Turbo ALWAYS gets just as good of reception that the S3 did and in many cases better. With my S3 I had one bathroom where it would sometimes drop to 3G, but the Turbo always keeps 4G. Could it be that in the store their network repeater (or whatever it is called in the store that makes everything usually show 5 bars) uses a different frequency than some the Turbo uses? I only say this because I also tried the side by side test with my S3 and the Turbo before I bought it and found a huge discrepancy. I was getting -56 db of 4G on my S3 and saw the same on many other devices in the store. The Turbo was showing over -100 for 4G, which almost made me not buy the Turbo. The next day I went to another VZW store and did the same test and all the devices were almost an identical -50 to -60 db. I can't really explain how that could occur except these are display devices and maybe they don't have the initial software update that came out a day or so after the phone was released.
    11-27-2014 01:28 PM
    Went there over the weekend and turbo was slightly higher or equal in dB with my moto x. Z3v and Note 4 were about the same too.
    BUT Moto X 2014 blew them all away by 20dB + difference (below). DT is a big disappointment with the radios from what I've heard around.

I thought the turbo was just a moto x with a bigger battery...?
    11-27-2014 10:10 PM
    The turbo is closer to a small nexus 6 with a bigger battery. Different display, different processor from the X but the key difference in this case is that the X uses a metal band around the outside of the phone as an antenna and the turbo does not.
    11-28-2014 06:17 AM
    In terms of a user experience , yes they are the same. Hardware wise, they have nothing in common.

11-28-2014 07:03 PM
    Motorola typically does have some of the best radios on phones. I've had primarily Motorola's and Samsung's, and I get slightly more dropped calls and data sessions with the Samsung's, however its still so rare, that I won't pass them up. The Droid MAXX and MAXX HD had simultaneous voice and data and seemed to hold 4G like no other. The Turbo and Moto X (2014) use a hybrid radio that's only capable of doing either LTE or CDMA at one time, not both. As has been said, reception in a Verizon store next to 50 other phones does create a fair amount of fluctuation, even height and antenna direction can account for 5-10 dBm shifts. I setup a Droid Turbo for a relative in a known trouble spot for Verizon and he's not had one issue.

BTW, the example which showed Moto 15 dBm behind isn't really accurate because when companies only use one set of numbers, its usually the 3G reception, where Moto separates it by CDMA and LTE. LTE signal is almost always lower in reading.
    12-30-2014 01:46 PM
    The first two data tests were done on Global and the last one was on LTE/CDMA.
    Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: If You Go to the Verizon Store Test the Radio Signal Strength-1419991888324.jpg  
    12-30-2014 08:14 PM
34 12