Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo PSA: Disable the built in equalizer or everything sounds bad.

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I've read a few times both on this forum and others that the Turbo's (and every other Moto phone too) speaker sounds horrible. And it does. Because Moto likes to enable an equalizer by default which makes it sound terrible and quiet in a lot of cases too.

To disable this, go into settings, sound, and audio effects. Just set it off from there. You'll thank me, trust me on this. Just passing my previous knowledge around.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Good advice. This is one of the first things I do every time I buy a Moto phone.

PS. I personally believe this improves volume level as well.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Xelios

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: PSA: Disable the built in equalizer or everything sounds bad.

Yeah it does. They include the 3D stereo equalizer on by default for headsets too which sounds like trash. I can't believe they still do this, it makes no sense haha. Definitely helps increase the volume though.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

This is really noticeable with the speakers on high volume. On lower volumes, the equalizer doesn't hurt it as much.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I just turned mine off I'm trying to decide if this phone is as loud as my maxx and my daughters motox1 is..

I've always liked the loud volume Motorola has.. Don't know if moving the speaker to the front has affected it much

Posted via the Android Central App

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if it's me but I turned of the stock equalizer and put on the equalizer app. It kind of feels like without any equalizer at all it sounds louder and better. Is there something in this phone I am missing. I also miss my beats audio mixed with my equalizer on my Droid Dna.. Anyway to output more power into the sound when using headphones?

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site

^^ I'd like to know that as well. And yes, I've also found that my music's sound quality and volume have been improved without 'Audio Effects' or the 'Equalizer' app. I didn't really test them with calls though, but by association...

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

When I listen to music with earbuds in I like the Bass Punch setting. When I'm done listening to music I turn off the audio effects, as Xelios suggests.

LinuxWeather

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
The moto equalizer is far superior to the google stock equalizer on Play Music. On moto devices choosing the equalizer in music takes you to settings default for moto.

On a N9/N6 for example, you go to the google equalizer and it sucks.

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the Motorola equalizer has a limiter or compressor when using the built in speaker. They might be doing that to save the speaker from blowing. When I used to do audio systems in commercial settings, the limiter function (anti clipping) would be enabled if there was a chance that a customer might drive the system past safe operating levels. The limiter essentially keeps the volume from exceeding a set level. By doing so, it prevents damage to the speakers or amplifier. And since most external speakers (full speakers, earbuds, and headphones) can handle higher levels, they wouldn't need that function enabled. Just a thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21