03-18-2017 10:10 AM
214 12345 ...
tools
    My first Android device...

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-3821.jpg  
    11-06-2014 06:21 PM
    My first Android device...

I assume you're coming from an iPhone? What are your honest thoughts on the Turbo? Thanks.

11-06-2014 09:06 PM
    Actually I was a BlackBerry user. I only used my wife's old iPhone for a few weeks in the interim.

And I must clarify, this is my first Android phone, not device. I have had my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) tablet for awhile now.

Overall I am very pleased with the Turbo. Great battery and blazing fast, no lag whatsoever. I do struggle to hear on phone calls sometimes, but I have that problem with every phone I have ever used. The only thing I would like to see is more functionality in the notification settings, but I guess BlackBerry spoiled me with that.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-07-2014 05:41 AM
    If anyone cares, I updated my original post with final screen caps for the phone: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4011469

The home screen is below. The original post includes a left, right, and blank screen as well. I think the "industrial" treatment really compliments the phone's physical design.

Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-2-home_50.jpg
    11-07-2014 01:43 PM
    Dungoyle, can you tell us how you did that? I love it!
    11-07-2014 04:36 PM
    Dungoyle, can you tell us how you did that? I love it!
    Thanks Littlejoe (Bonanza reference?). I'll list everything I used below:

• Apex Launcher (let's you customize number of screens, screen rows/columns, change icon names and replace icon images with images from icon packs)
    • Metal Icon Pack for Home screen folders and bottom row buttons (some are folders as well)
    • Other icon packs for application icons: Whicons White, Stamped White, MNML White, Big White, and ADW Elegant theme if you want something just a little less white.
    • HD Widgets for the Time/Date/Weather with battery and OK google button. That took a while to get the right combination of colors, texture and opacity to look close to metal-ish. A minimal variation of that for the left and right screens (I always like to see the time prominently, regardless of the screen I'm on)
    • Gears 3D Live Wallpaper

That pretty much covers the overall "theme". The only other widgets are the very obvious Verizon widget plus:
    • Business Calendar (Day Widget) on Left Page
    • Animated Photo Frame on the Right Page

I hope I didn't leave anything out. You could do the same with Nova as your replacement Launcher instead of Apex (I own both), I just happen to prefer Apex and have gotten used to it. Both offer trial versions.
    LaskoFan and Littlejoe919 like this.
    11-07-2014 05:38 PM
    Thanks Littlejoe (Bonanza reference?).
    No reference. My name is Joe and I'm kinda little (5'7") was a nickname given to me while in the Air force years ago. Does this kinda build take away from any of the functionality of the phone.

Thank you very much for the detailed list.
    11-07-2014 06:51 PM
    No reference. My name is Joe and I'm kinda little (5'7") was a nickname given to me while in the Air force years ago. Does this kinda build take away from any of the functionality of the phone.

Thank you very much for the detailed list.
    Ha! I'm 5'6 and in the Army, my SOB drill sergeant named me Mouse. Stuck with me during my entire enlistment. No, this will not impede any of the functions of your phone, and give you some additional flexibility (that comes from the launcher). And you're sure welcome.
    Littlejoe919 likes this.
    11-07-2014 06:55 PM
    Ha! I'm 5'6 and in the Army, my SOB drill sergeant named me Mouse. Stuck with me during my entire enlistment. No, this will not impede any of the functions of your phone, and give you some additional flexibility (that comes from the launcher). And you're sure welcome.
    Are you still in? I did almost 22 years in the Army.
    11-08-2014 07:18 AM
    Thanks Littlejoe (Bonanza reference?). I'll list everything I used below:

• Apex Launcher (let's you customize number of screens, screen rows/columns, change icon names and replace icon images with images from icon packs)
    • Metal Icon Pack for Home screen folders and bottom row buttons (some are folders as well)
    • Other icon packs for application icons: Whicons White, Stamped White, MNML White, Big White, and ADW Elegant theme if you want something just a little less white.
    • HD Widgets for the Time/Date/Weather with battery and OK google button. That took a while to get the right combination of colors, texture and opacity to look close to metal-ish. A minimal variation of that for the left and right screens (I always like to see the time prominently, regardless of the screen I'm on)
    • Gears 3D Live Wallpaper

That pretty much covers the overall "theme". The only other widgets are the very obvious Verizon widget plus:
    • Business Calendar (Day Widget) on Left Page
    • Animated Photo Frame on the Right Page

I hope I didn't leave anything out. You could do the same with Nova as your replacement Launcher instead of Apex (I own both), I just happen to prefer Apex and have gotten used to it. Both offer trial versions.
    Using all the "extras" (Apex, HD Widgets,e tc) - does it take a hit on your battery? I've used Nova in the past and it was pretty good. I don't really like having to use several different apps to get what you have, but it looks very nice!

What we need is an app that will back all the system setting and such (like I could do with BlackBerry back in the day) so if you need or want to wipe the device it doesn't take forever to set back up. I know there are a few that do an excellent job if you're rooted but nothing (I guess you need root to get it done) if you're not.
    11-08-2014 07:22 AM
    Are you still in? I did almost 22 years in the Army.
    I wish (and congratulations on making retirement!). I was a Staff Sergeant withinin 50 months, and definitely was career oriented. Unfortunately, I became a single parent while on East German border in the late 80's and had to discharge early to properly take care of my kids (complicated story). From Tank Commander in the 80's to Senior Systems Engineer today; you never know where life will take you! I may not have retired, but I'm very proud to be a veteran, and wear a US Army ring to prove it.
    ibcop, Bamzilla, molgen and 1 others like this.
    11-08-2014 07:27 AM
    Using all the "extras" (Apex, HD Widgets,e tc) - does it take a hit on your battery? I've used Nova in the past and it was pretty good. I don't really like having to use several different apps to get what you have, but it looks very nice!

What we need is an app that will back all the system setting and such (like I could do with BlackBerry back in the day) so if you need or want to wipe the device it doesn't take forever to set back up. I know there are a few that do an excellent job if you're rooted but nothing (I guess you need root to get it done) if you're not.
    Well, you're certainly right; every little thing you add is going to cost "something" in memory, CPU or GPU cycles, and probably some battery too. However, with the Turbo, I feel the cost is relatively small; and 3GB of RAM gives me comfort. Apex, like Nova is pretty efficient and while I only have my own anecdotal observation, they perform better than Touch Wiz and Sense. Apex has a setting to backup and restore your Apex settings. If you change your launcher back to the original, all the Apex stuff "goes away", until you re-enable it (if memory serves me correctly). Also, Apex has a function to "lock" your screen, so if you have things "just the way you like it", you can lock it down, and not have to worry about accidentally deleting an icon or folder, or some other object on the page.

Edit: The Live wall paper is probably the most "superfluous" thing in the set up. It certainly adds no functionality, and you could find a good static wallpaper that keeps whatever theme you want to achieve. If I were to experience performance issues, it wouldn't bother me to lose that.
    ibcop likes this.
    11-08-2014 07:33 AM
    I wish (and congratulations on making retirement!). I was a Staff Sergeant withinin 50 months, and definitely was career oriented. Unfortunately, I became a single parent while on East German border in the late 80's and had to discharge early to properly take care of my kids (complicated story). From Tank Commander in the 80's to Senior Systems Engineer today; you never know where life will take you! I may not have retired, but I'm very proud to be a veteran, and wear a US Army ring to prove it.
    Once a soldier, always a soldier. Thank you for your service.
    11-08-2014 04:19 PM
    The Live wall paper is probably the most "superfluous" thing in the set up. It certainly adds no functionality, and you could find a good static wallpaper that keeps whatever theme you want to achieve. If I were to experience performance issues, it wouldn't bother me to lose that.
    Is Live wallpaper a significant battery cost?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    11-08-2014 06:13 PM
    Is Live wallpaper a significant battery cost?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    It has been for me on every other device I've had, so I will assume it will have an impact on our Turbos. How much of an impact is the real question though.

ckelly33 likes this.
    11-08-2014 06:31 PM
    Me too. The active display isn't even remotely comparable regardless what people claim.
    Completely disagree! Obviously it's a subjective matter but Active Display totally replaces the need for LED lights in my opinion.
    11-09-2014 07:03 PM
    Me too. The active display isn't even remotely comparable regardless what people claim.
    I love the active display and it works better than just about anything I've used when I'm near my phone. However, I'd use the LED's on other phones and color code different notifications. It helped when my phone was on the charger or across the room I could see if I'd missed anything and could tell what from the color of the LED. It's just a small nitpick on an otherwise great phone though!

To get back on topic, I updated my lock and home screen just a bit...
    Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-10-07-52-57.jpgMotorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-10-07-53-03.jpg
    11-10-2014 09:01 AM
    I love the active display and it works better than just about anything I've used when I'm near my phone. However, I'd use the LED's on other phones and color code different notifications. It helped when my phone was on the charger or across the room I could see if I'd missed anything and could tell what from the color of the LED. It's just a small nitpick on an otherwise great phone though!

To get back on topic, I updated my lock and home screen just a bit...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-10-07-52-57.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	147228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-10-07-53-03.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	147229
    What are you using? Looks nice!
    11-10-2014 11:00 AM
    "when I'm near my phone"...

That's the key to the difference between LED or AD and agree with your post.
    11-10-2014 05:45 PM
    "when I'm near my phone"...

That's the key to the difference between LED or AD and agree with your post.
    I guess it's a matter of how you use your phone then. I almost never have my phone sitting across the room, or any distance far enough where the LED lights would be advantageous. The only time in fact really is when I'm charging it overnight or not using it at all, or if I stepped away temporarily, only to come back and get close enough where I'm always going to know what came in right away. And you can see multiple notifications at once too. During the day, it's either in my pocket, in my hand or on my desk a few feet away, always close enough where the individual notification icons are just as discernible as any color coded light could be. And then you can instantly interact and access the app that you want to tend to. It took me about 2-3 weeks with my Maxx where I missed my colored lights, but there was eventually a moment where I just got it, and realized how much better the active display is as a system for notifying you of incoming anything. I mean how many colors did your previous phone allow? I have like 15 different apps notifying me fairly regularly and with the moto display system I can instantly recognize anyone of them coming in. Yes, not across the room; but if my phones across the room, then I'm not really using it anyway.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-10-2014 07:27 PM
    I guess it's a matter of how you use your phone then..
    Yes. End of story.

but if my phones across the room, then I'm not really using it anyway.
    If there is no LED flashing then there there is no need to "use it", IMO. It can stay where it is and life goes on. (yes, life can go on without a phone in your hand *gasp!*).
    11-10-2014 10:43 PM
    Nova Launcher
    Random starry night wallpaper
    Big White Icons
    Nice Simple Photo Widget (with all the Radio Times posters in rotation :-P)
    Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-1415768432280.jpg  
    Seanathon98 likes this.
    11-11-2014 11:07 PM
    11-12-2014 08:29 AM
    Really like this, think I'm gonna have to attempt something similar.
    bradenfontaine likes this.
    11-13-2014 05:36 AM
    I like it clean, simple
    11-13-2014 05:59 AM
214 12345 ...