03-18-2017 11:10 AM
214 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Is Live wallpaper a significant battery cost?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    My guess is that this is very application-specific. Some Live Wallpapers are going to be more resource intensive than others based on their complexity and code efficiency. So far, for me, the biggest drain my battery has been Location.
    11-13-2014 10:12 AM
    It's exactly the same as my MAXX HD for now. I don't need much.
    Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-od6uas6.jpg
    11-13-2014 11:04 AM
    I like it clean, simple
    Looks great! What launcher, widgets and setup do you use if you don't mind sharing?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-13-2014 02:14 PM
    Thanks Littlejoe (Bonanza reference?). I'll list everything I used below:

• Apex Launcher (let's you customize number of screens, screen rows/columns, change icon names and replace icon images with images from icon packs)
    • Metal Icon Pack for Home screen folders and bottom row buttons (some are folders as well)
    • Other icon packs for application icons: Whicons White, Stamped White, MNML White, Big White, and ADW Elegant theme if you want something just a little less white.
    • HD Widgets for the Time/Date/Weather with battery and OK google button. That took a while to get the right combination of colors, texture and opacity to look close to metal-ish. A minimal variation of that for the left and right screens (I always like to see the time prominently, regardless of the screen I'm on)
    • Gears 3D Live Wallpaper

That pretty much covers the overall "theme". The only other widgets are the very obvious Verizon widget plus:
    • Business Calendar (Day Widget) on Left Page
    • Animated Photo Frame on the Right Page

I hope I didn't leave anything out. You could do the same with Nova as your replacement Launcher instead of Apex (I own both), I just happen to prefer Apex and have gotten used to it. Both offer trial versions.
    Can the Command center widget be used in the Apex launcher? I can't seem to find a way yet. No sure why, but I really like it, and how do you make those clean looking folders?
    11-13-2014 08:13 PM
    Can the Command center widget be used in the Apex launcher? I can't seem to find a way yet. No sure why, but I really like it, and how do you make those clean looking folders?
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any support for the command center widget in any of the third party launchers (I seem to recall reading that in another post -- but someone feel free to correct me here). I definitely could not figure out how to install it in Apex. As for the folders, that's pretty easy. First, drag one icon on top of another to create a default folder (which will look lik two stacked icons. The long press on the folder, and when you release, a menu will appear with the option:
    • Remove
    • Edit
    • Gesture
    • Batch Add

Batch add is great to go ahead and populate the folder with all of the applications you want for that particular location in one fell swoop. But for now, you want the "edit" option. Selecting it takes you to the Edit Folder window and you can remove or change the label for your folder, and the icon. Just press the icon itself to replace it, and you'll then have to option to select from:
    • Picture
    • Icon Packs

Default is obvious. Picture allows you to browse the whole phone for individual pictures (a PITA in most cases). Icon Packs is here the fun is. Assuming you've already installed icon packs from the play store, selecting this option allows you to select an individual icon pack, and then from there, you'll have all of the included icons to scroll through to find the one you want. depending on how many apps you have installed, and how many you want to access without going into the app drawer, this is both the fun, and lengthy part of the process; organizing your stuff into logical groups, and finding just the right icon to that you're happy with.

Remember, Apex has the option to backup both Apex settings and your desktop, in addition to locking it down after you make changes. I do take advantage of these options.

Hope this was helpful, and not too long.
    Littlejoe919 likes this.
    11-14-2014 07:09 AM
    I don't think there's any support for the command center widget in any of the third party launchers (I seem to recall reading that in another post --
    I don't know about Apex, but it works with TSF Shell. Weird that Apex wouldn't allow it. For anyone on Nova, are you able to use the widget?

11-14-2014 07:58 AM
    I just downloaded Nova and it added the Command Center widget, so I'm not sure why Apex won't let you.

Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-2449.jpg  
    11-14-2014 08:02 AM
    I think I must be missing something, so I apologize if I'm way off base with these posts, but the Command Center widget works on Apex for me.

Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-2450.jpg  
    Littlejoe919 and dungoyle like this.
    11-14-2014 08:06 AM
    Stock launcher with the lovely BMW i8 @560ppi. Some pictures are worth...zero clutter

Photo courtesy of TheVerge.com

Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-14-10-25-40.jpg  
    Relletti likes this.
    11-14-2014 12:29 PM
    I think I must be missing something, so I apologize if I'm way off base with these posts, but the Command Center widget works on Apex for me.

Doh! I had command center disabled, and it therefore did not show up in my widget collection. Yes, once you enable it, it works just like another widget. I don't know why I had it in my head that I had read there was a problem with command center with alternate launchers.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-14-2014 01:22 PM
    I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any support for the command center widget in any of the third party launchers (I seem to recall reading that in another post -- but someone feel free to correct me here). I definitely could not figure out how to install it in Apex. As for the folders, that's pretty easy. First, drag one icon on top of another to create a default folder (which will look lik two stacked icons. The long press on the folder, and when you release, a menu will appear with the option:
    • Remove
    • Edit
    • Gesture
    • Batch Add

Batch add is great to go ahead and populate the folder with all of the applications you want for that particular location in one fell swoop. But for now, you want the "edit" option. Selecting it takes you to the Edit Folder window and you can remove or change the label for your folder, and the icon. Just press the icon itself to replace it, and you'll then have to option to select from:
    • Picture
    • Icon Packs

Default is obvious. Picture allows you to browse the whole phone for individual pictures (a PITA in most cases). Icon Packs is here the fun is. Assuming you've already installed icon packs from the play store, selecting this option allows you to select an individual icon pack, and then from there, you'll have all of the included icons to scroll through to find the one you want. depending on how many apps you have installed, and how many you want to access without going into the app drawer, this is both the fun, and lengthy part of the process; organizing your stuff into logical groups, and finding just the right icon to that you're happy with.

Remember, Apex has the option to backup both Apex settings and your desktop, in addition to locking it down after you make changes. I do take advantage of these options.

Hope this was helpful, and not too long.
    That was perfect. Thank you for your help.
    Here's my first try with apex
    Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-14-16-26-31.jpg
    dungoyle and dawghowse like this.
    11-14-2014 05:22 PM

Not at all. This newb just needed to learn how kitkat worked with widgets.
    mightyfacundo likes this.
    11-14-2014 05:24 PM
    Hey All, thought I would share my work in progress. It will never end especially since we don't have root so playing with Zooper widget a lot.
    Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-2014-11-15-15.44.45.jpg
    websterzx10r1 and Phoenix212 like this.
    11-15-2014 10:57 AM
    Hey All, thought I would share my work in progress. It will never end especially since we don't have root so playing with Zooper widget a lot.
    Interesting - everything anyone would need to know.

Is there space for anything else???
    11-15-2014 07:11 PM
    Been playing with Apex a bit more.
    Think I'll keep this for awhile

Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-15-20-26-13.jpg
    11-15-2014 08:32 PM
    Not sure about the clock, pretty simple though

Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-8906.jpg   Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-8907.jpg  
    11-15-2014 11:22 PM
    This feels better..

:-)

Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-8908.jpg  
    11-15-2014 11:30 PM
    This feels better..

:-)

I like your second effort better as well. You'd never know if from my 3 pages of completely filled space on my phone, but I much prefer the clean and streamlined approach you took in most instances. The smaller clock and vertical icons really emphasizes that for your screen.
    11-16-2014 06:41 AM
    What is the weather widget Xoomer1 is using in his picture? Its the first picture posted in this forum (as seen below)

Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-10-31-01-53-44.jpg
    11-16-2014 09:38 AM
    LOL on the space comment. I love android because the widgets turn my phone into a dashboard of info. That's why I need to larger battery. Nova launcher Pro w/ ICS plates EX theme. Three Zooper widgets that have been mashed together and customized by me. I borrowed others initial work since I am not that good. I love the sun - moon phase part that shows sun up time. I am really loving the phone despite all the protestations that are coming out. Nearly pure android is the way to go.
    11-16-2014 11:10 AM
    Todays
    Attached Thumbnails Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-16-10-37-15.png  
    Inders99 likes this.
    11-16-2014 11:14 AM
    Nova launcher Pro w/ ICS plates EX theme. Three Zooper widgets that have been mashed together and customized by me. I borrowed others initial work since I am not that good. I love the sun - moon phase part that shows sun up time. .
    Yes, the combined clock, sun-moon phase and sun up and sun down times is great. How much of that is original widget and how much is a result of your custom work? I like it but not enough to learn how to create it on my own. At 72, I am too old and too lazy to do the stuff anymore. I did my cutting edge coding in the days when it was easier - more left to discover then.

Thanks for sharing your skills.
    11-16-2014 02:23 PM
    Very minimal

Motorola Droid Turbo: Screenshots & Homescreens-screenshot_2014-11-18-04-29-18.jpg
    BlueBlazer60 and Relletti like this.
    11-18-2014 04:36 AM
    Nice! What galactic specimen is that in the photo? Also, do you use a flashlight quite often?

11-18-2014 09:18 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-15 15.44.45.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	385.3 KB 
ID:	148260
    I think my eyes just melted and my brain exploded

11-18-2014 09:20 AM
214 ... 23456 ...