Motorola Droid Turbo: Bugs, quirks, problems and more

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I kind of doubt it's turbo specific, but asking here anyway..Is there a way to turn off the "location found" notification? It his away on its own, but distracts me every time it pops up. I like the Moto assist functions, but this constant notification is about to make me leave GPS off and but use the assists.

Jackie Koch

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine on last month. I also got the 64gb ballistic nylon, but have always been a Samsung person. Just recently it will stop working and totally shut off on me. It only gets charged at night when I'm sleeping. I pick it up from the night stand in the morning, and poof, it freezes and goes black. Can't turn it on to save my life. It only starts working again when you do a soft reset on it. This morning it did it to me again, and I was late to work as it is my alarm clock.

Charlie_DeC

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Anybody else having a problem with time zone? I've got the phone set up (under Settings, Date & time) to 'Automatic date & time' and 'Automatic time zone'. Most of the time this works fine (say if I am in Boston or RI, the time on my phone is correct). When I go to my home (which is also in the eastern time zone, the phone displays the time an hour behind where it should be. I can see in the settings that the network provided time zone is Central Standard Time, which is not even close. My GPS is on (the time corrects itself when I go to work in Boston), but every time I get home and look at the phone, the time is incorrect. Any thoughts? Thanks.

(I should note that we have a Verizon Note 4 here as well, and the time doesn't seem to have any problems, and also that I've had the phone for a few weeks, but this just started happening a few days ago.)

Last edited:

Charlie_DeC

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Anyone noticing WiFi not connecting in any sort of timely manner to a known network? I am having to go into settings before it connects to my home network, over a matter of a few minutes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes. I every time I go home or to work, I need to go into setting and turn the wifi off and then back on again in order for it to connect to the appropriate wifi network. If I forget, I'm on the cellular network until I remember again. Doesn't seem to happen on the SAME wifi (so if I go out, never connect to another network, and then come home again, it reconnects to my home wifi).

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine on last month. I also got the 64gb ballistic nylon, but have always been a Samsung person. Just recently it will stop working and totally shut off on me. It only gets charged at night when I'm sleeping. I pick it up from the night stand in the morning, and poof, it freezes and goes black.

Was it doing this shortly after you got it in November? Maybe get a regular alarm clock (just in case!) and disable the turbo's alarm, then do a clear cache https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/102367/p/30,6720,9 , go back in and enable the alarm on the turbo and see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't, might be time for a factory data reset or see if you can return it to VZW for a replacement unless you're past the 14 day return date?. Keep us posted.

hmg2015

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Had the phone for a few days and the black launch screen isn't working properly. When it senses the approach or I wave my hand the whole screen briefly flashes white. Whenever there is a notification...FLASH. If I have it in the console or my lap and while driving FLASH. In a dark room or driving at night it is like a camera flash(sucks when it's on the nightstand). Additionally it gets stuck when I try to wake up the phone with the power button. It often takes several pushes to get the phone to the home screen.
The problem has come and gone a couple times. When it is happening I restart and the screen stays black during the animation of the startup but I can hear the music.

I am having this same issue did anyone find a way to fix it?

Lee Boyette

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a new droid turbo (red) last week and while I was talking on the phone the person would often stop me and say that I cut out on them- please repeat. Although I never heard it for myself, everyone explained that it sounded like I was a long way from the phone. (They could barely hear me talking). With the phone, I ordered a red incipio case. I took this case off and it still happened. Although it did not happen on every call; it did on about 50% of the time.

Lee Boyette

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I talked to tech support at Verizon and they noticed it too. Just took the phone back and got a brand new one... Same thing is happening- not sure what to do now. If this persists; I guess I will switch back to the razzr max-it was a great phone. I got the turbo because I could upgrade for not much money. I really like the phone, but cannot deal with this issue

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I talked to tech support at Verizon and they noticed it too. Just took the phone back and got a brand new one... Same thing is happening- not sure what to do now. If this persists; I guess I will switch back to the razzr max-it was a great phone. I got the turbo because I could upgrade for not much money. I really like the phone, but cannot deal with this issue
Try toggling advanced calling on or off and see if that makes a difference.

Lee Boyette

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you very much for the response... Unfortunately, I am not sure what you mean about 'toggling advanced calling on or off" . Please explain how to do that.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to android settings. There you should see advances calling about 5 options down. Select advanced calling and you will see an on/off toggle. If you don't see advanced calling scroll to the bottom of settings and select system updates and one should be available.

carbon_force

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
This is a long rant, but this is my honest review of the Turbo and Verizon. I have already spoken to someone about these numerous issues, so don't flag me. CNET and Verizon wouldn't allow me to post my full review. I encourage those interested in this phone to reconsider another phone.

Some people may be sold on the super long battery life, the 21 MP camera, and the strong build of the Droid Turbo, but that's where the great specs end for me.
THIS IS YOUR WARNING: THEY WILL PUSH THIS DEVICE ON YOU AND GIVE YOU MANY OFFERS TO BUY IT.
I have a very critical review of the Turbo because of the terrible service I have received from Verizon Wireless in regards to the EDGE program, the warranty claim, and how they DID NOT require a signature for my device to be dropped off (to my house) from FEDEX, AND MY DEVICE WAS DELIVERED TO THE WRONG HOUSE AND WAS NEVER RETRIEVED. (the driver claims that he left it at the house on the corner, WHICH ISN'T MY HOUSE, AS STATED BY THE CORRECT ADDRESS WHICH I GAVE THEM). Verizon has yet to give me a functioning device nearly a week later. And they won't let me get another device of equal value, so be weary of EDGE and purchasing at a non-corporate store.
1. This device contains a lot of unnecessary (Verizon and Amazon) preloaded apps, which you CAN disable, but they still take up space. However, this device is bare bones, which is nice in the long run (Samsung's products lag so bad with time), but the Google ecosystem isn't efficient enough to offer good apps that work across all phones (in my honest opinion, I feel the PlayStore has so many apps and so many dated apps it is really hard to decipher which is worth downloading to IMPROVE the device. I feel that the apps should complement the device). Another little thing--why is there no dedicated flashlight widget INCLUDED? I think it passed time for that; it should be included in a device.
2. There is NO expandable memory.
3. The SIM card slot is placed on the volume rocker (the volume rocker pops out). Who came up with that stupid idea?! It is very flimsy. And within 3 hours of having the device, the Turbo would not recognize the SIM card. The retailers told me I had a faulty device, and it has been a great hassle trying to replace this phone with EDGE.
4. The camera takes detailed shots, but there is no optical image stabilization, so some pictures come out blurry. The front facing camera is in the center, which I like, but it is subpar. When comparing the Turbo to my Samsung GS3 front facing camera, the GS3 did not lag when I moved--the Turbo had a ghostly lag trying to keep up with my head movements. That is sad for a phone that is over 2 years newer. There is no dual camera!! This is 2014 entering into 2015, and there is no dual camera? The two flashes are nice, it gives better shadows when taking pictures, but there are no special camera features as featured on Samsung, LG, and Apple devices. I was very disappointed. And to my knowledge, there will be now added features from Motorola or Android.
4. There is no split screen feature!!! Again, my 2.5 year old device had a split screen feature, and several other phones have this necessary feature, like LG G3. How can I not read my email and do a quick search the same screen...come on this phone is half-baked.

5. The speakers are nice...it only has front facing speakers at the top. It doesn't get very loud, but at least it isn't muddled. I used some in-ear buds and the sound quality was nice and loud.
6. The keyboard is problematic. It is very small, and I have seen no way to adjust the pre-installed keyboard. The emojis are different (ugly) as well--they tried so hard to make it "unique." Swype is nice.
7. YOU CANNOT TALK ON THE PHONE AND SURF THE WEB!!! REALLY, Verizon, REALLY? It kicked me back to 1x and then said that this function isn't available...THIS IS 2014 ENTERING INTO 2015 AND THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM! I was able to surf the web and take calls with no problem on my Droid X back in 2011.
8. The battery does last a very long time, but come on, you can swap out a battery if you really needed it for a long period of time. Samsung and LG have considerably large batteries, and you can swap them out. There is NO power saving feature on the Turbo.
9. The display is very beautiful, and the colors are rich but not overly saturated. It sits well in the hand. But the home, multitasking, and the back keys are very annoying! They do not disappear, and they stay lit during videos. The black bar is annoying. It takes up space that could have been used for the display.
10. Why doesn't the phone come with headphones? This is an expensive device, and the Turbo charger is great, but no headphones?? That's different for a smartphone...most smartphones come with headphones--no questions.
11. The charger is quick, but you can't fold down the prongs, which I find problematic in the future. The prongs could chip or bend. The cord is also quite short--maybe 24-28 inches, and that does NOT go far.
12. The Moto features are nice, and Google Now is responsive.
One thing I can say is that I have the Samsung GS5 as a loaner and I prefer the Turbo a tad more--GS5 lags and the health features can be cumbersome, but I think I should have gotten the LG G3. It doesn't have the high end processor like the Turbo, but I doubt I would have noticed coming from such an "old" device (which I only replaced because of the lagginess and poor screen quality). Too bad Verizon EDGE has made this nearly impossible. But I will say that Motorola shouldn't have given me a defective device, so this goes towards their quality control. However, Verizon takes blame because I can swap out phones and they did not require a signature for such an expensive product that was stolen, of course, during the holiday season. I feel in the future, after my contract expires, I will NOT continue with VZW. Very bad customer service.

cyberr8der

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Good grief. Take your fight with Verizon and pick another provider and phone. Show them the above list when you're picking a phone and you should be all set.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
and here we call a phone like this "almost perfect". the only real disappointment for me is the camera, 21mp that takes pictures like an old flip phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza