Motorola Droid Turbo: Bugs, quirks, problems and more

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Got the 64gb ballistic nylon version of the droid turbo on Verizon and I'm pretty disappointed. I've had all sorts of issues come up that I've never had with an android phone before.

1) a lot of my texts either come in REALLY late or dont come at all until I force a refresh of the messaging list. This has been the biggest issue so far.

2) Sometimes the screen will stop responding to touches. I'm sure there is some background process that is running that's blocking it because the touches will be recognized shortly thereafter.

3) Ever since activating Advanced Calling, my phone calls drop a LOT. I end up turning off advanced calling for business calls just so that I can be more confident in the call not dropping. Of course, by doing that, I can't use data while using voice...a blast to 10 years ago.

Just not happy with this phone at all and I wouldn't recommend anybody getting it.
That's a real shame, especially since that is not the typical user experience with the Turbo. Since you JUST got it, may I suggest a factory reset (since you just got a system update), and trying running with as little extra applications as you can get by with a day or two and see if these symptoms persist? Also, while this may not be related in your case, I know that people migrating from Apple or with Apple using friends often have texting issues upon migrating to Android. There is a thread or two discussing that in the forum as well.

Brenda Jones3

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this has already been mentioned on this post or not, but I just ran into a new issue with my Turbo. I know a lot of people have noticed that while connected to a strong wifi signal their phone was also using data. I ran into this issue to the tune of $55 in data overages. I called Verizon to try and get that refunded to my account, which I was successful at in part because I directed the tech support guy to this forum showing it as a known issue. During this call the tech support guy asked to test something with the phone, had me set it in airplane mode and sent me a text, which came through just fine. So I don't know if other people have experienced this same issue, but Mr Tech support seemed a little surprised!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how to get Facebook to sync your contacts like it did in previous versions

You need a third party app - either Ubersync or Sync.Me. I believe that most people like Ubersync.

If you have a Mac, you can sync your contacts using a Mac app called Cobook, which can sync Mac contacts with Google contacts and Facebook contacts, if you want to do it that way. The Google contacts will sync down to the phone with FB info.

smitty2158

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I have had my 64 gig turbo for 2 weeks, and when i went to bed last night the thing was working fine. This morning, the screen is totally unresponsive. I can't unlock it, and can't even turn it off and back on from the screen. NOTHING WORKS! Help!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had my 64 gig turbo for 2 weeks, and when i went to bed last night the thing was working fine. This morning, the screen is totally unresponsive. I can't unlock it, and can't even turn it off and back on from the screen. NOTHING WORKS! Help!

Press and hold the power button for about ten seconds - that should restart it.

bman6074

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I was looking forward to getting this phone but it appears it wasn't ready for release. too many issues.
Curious if the "select all" option in the stock email (not gmail) has been put back? How does one clean out the deleted box?
Is lollipop going to be installed on the turbo soon? Will this correct some of the problems?

rhcreed

May 24, 2011
Visit site
sounds like battery is super dead, plug in the turbo charger for about :15 minutes and try it again.

Once it's alive, while plugged into turbo charger, press and hold power button until it shuts off, keep holding till a battery icon appears, it will re-calibrate and should be back to normal. Let it charge to %100 and you're good.

bman6074

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, lollipop will come. As far as email goes just download a better email app......

True with another email app but just hate having to clutter (waste space) up a phone with apps that already exist. Its unfortunate they take away such a simple option. I'll wait and see if lollipop restores some of these missing features. If not maybe just wait for next Turbo (2) phone.

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
True with another email app but just hate having to clutter (waste space) up a phone with apps that already exist. Its unfortunate they take away such a simple option. I'll wait and see if lollipop restores some of these missing features. If not maybe just wait for next Turbo (2) phone.

You can sync your email through gmail now. That way you'll be using an app that's already installed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bman6074

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
You can sync your email through gmail now. That way you'll be using an app that's already installed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

yea not an ideal way tho. I don't want my email mixed with gmail app. But thanks for the options. I will wait and see if they restore the options and fix other issues i have read about.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
True with another email app but just hate having to clutter (waste space) up a phone with apps that already exist.

The app K-9 mail is a 3.2 MB download. If you have a 32 GB Turbo, that is less than .01% of the storage space. I guess it will use some data as well, but no more or less than the stock mail app would to store your mail (and presumably you will just delete your account from the stock mail app.)

I think I'd give up so trivial an amount of storage space for an app that does what I want rather than struggling to use one that is inefficient. And if it turns out that the Lollipop mail app adds "select all" (I kind of doubt it will; the stock mail app tends to be getting worse, not better), then you can just delete the third party app and start using the stock mail app again.

You'll lost 3.2 MB - the size of one song, a little less than one photo. Isn't that worth it?

bman6074

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The app K-9 mail is a 3.2 MB download. If you have a 32 GB Turbo, that is less than .01% of the storage space. I guess it will use some data as well, but no more or less than the stock mail app would to store your mail (and presumably you will just delete your account from the stock mail app.)

I think I'd give up so trivial an amount of storage space for an app that does what I want rather than struggling to use one that is inefficient. And if it turns out that the Lollipop mail app adds "select all" (I kind of doubt it will; the stock mail app tends to be getting worse, not better), then you can just delete the third party app and start using the stock mail app again.

You'll lost 3.2 MB - the size of one song, a little less than one photo. Isn't that worth it?

mmm I had used K-0 about 5 years ago and found you could only do one account free then it cost for multiple. And it crashed my phone many times.
Can you do multiple accounts in K9 mail free?
Does it have notification colors and sounds? I have separate colors and sounds for each account i have.
Can you filter emails? that would be a great feature as the the stock doesn't fo that.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Anyone know how to disable visual voicemail. I dont use it and dont wish to. I dont see anything in the all app list to disable. Thank you in advance.

I think ... you have to call Verizon to do that. I have in the past, just recently in fact. They seem to force the 30 day trial on you. In fact, I missed two important voicemails because this was on!

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is a phone or OS issue. With 4.2.1 on my Droid Razr Maxx, I could configure the phone to announce the incoming caller's name prior to ringing. On my Turbo running 4.4.4, I can't find that option. Upon an incoming call, it does not announce the name. It just rings, vibrates, etc.

Anyone know how to enable this on the Turbo?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk.

anon(20073)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is a phone or OS issue. With 4.2.1 on my Droid Razr Maxx, I could configure the phone to announce the incoming caller's name prior to ringing. On my Turbo running 4.4.4, I can't find that option. Upon an incoming call, it does not announce the name. It just rings, vibrates, etc.

Anyone know how to enable this on the Turbo?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk.

Look under the accessibility settings that's where i set it up on mine.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else having problems with bluetooth and wifi? Wifi can lose connection to my home router for no reason occasionally but bluetooth doesn't work with my phone anymore. Says it's connected to the headset but calls still route through the phone and the phone says it's using bluetooth.