11-17-2014 04:37 PM
27 12
tools
    I did some testing over the weekend after spending some time on the phone with Verizon customer support. He was amazingly helpful. I am using WPA security and was having trouble with my Droid Turbo either not connecting or connecting for a short period. The customer support person thought that it may be the router and/or the phone. So, I removed all security on my router and tried to connect, this worked perfect. Quick connect and maintained the connection. Then I tried to use WEP security, and this also worked great. The problem seemed to be the router when using WPA security. My router firmware is a little old (3+ years), so I decided to do a firmware update. This worked! Not sure if it will work for everyone else, but it seems that the 'older' routers have trouble with new hardware. My recommendation is that anyone having trouble should see if they can upgrade the firmware on their router. I do not think it is the phone since the upgrade worked. I guess new devices are not backward compatible with older routers. Hope this helps.
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-17-2014 10:39 AM
    I did some testing over the weekend after spending some time on the phone with Verizon customer support. He was amazingly helpful. I am using WPA security and was having trouble with my Droid Turbo either not connecting or connecting for a short period. The customer support person thought that it may be the router and/or the phone. So, I removed all security on my router and tried to connect, this worked perfect. Quick connect and maintained the connection. Then I tried to use WEP security, and this also worked great. The problem seemed to be the router when using WPA security. My router firmware is a little old (3+ years), so I decided to do a firmware update. This worked! Not sure if it will work for everyone else, but it seems that the 'older' routers have trouble with new hardware. My recommendation is that anyone having trouble should see if they can upgrade the firmware on their router. I do not think it is the phone since the upgrade worked. I guess new devices are not backward compatible with older routers. Hope this helps.
    This has been my suspicion all along. I've seen multiple post from users of older routers (particularly Cisco) or, outdated firmware having problems on the DT. Wireless protocol is advancing rapidly and the phone is equipped to take advantage of those advances however, problems may arise from some of the backward compatibility issues. For those having issues, I'd test the phone on an up to date, recent vintage router of known reliability before ditching the device when a new router or firmware may be the solution.
    11-17-2014 04:37 PM
27 12