11-17-2014 03:37 PM
27 12
tools
    For those of you who are using a Turbo, how is the WiFi radio? I had on and off problems with the WiFi on a previous Droid Razr Maxx HD phone. It kept dropping connection to the network, both at home and work.

Has anyone had any problems staying connected to WiFi? Is WiFi signal strength good? Speeds?

Any input is really appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2014 08:37 AM
    It was great all day until I was streaming Thursday Night Football last night. Occasionally the signal drops significantly and video stuttered when I put my hands over the top edge of the phone (basically when holding phone with two hands in landscape mode). I'm gonna keep an eye on this for a few days and let you know if it continues.

PS. Who Dat! Geaux Saints!

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo
    10-31-2014 09:17 AM
    I have the same issue. Signal drops to nothing. Other devices work fine.
    10-31-2014 09:27 AM
    I'm having the same issue
    10-31-2014 09:32 AM
    This makes me sad.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    10-31-2014 09:46 AM
    Sounds like they didn't think about radio placement for landscape view .
    10-31-2014 09:50 AM
    Its not that it doesn't work at all. The wifi signal strength just drops off and then comes back.
    Deron Baker likes this.
    10-31-2014 09:50 AM
    It was great all day until I was streaming Thursday Night Football last night. Occasionally the signal drops significantly and video stuttered when I put my hands over the top edge of the phone (basically when holding phone with two hands in landscape mode). I'm gonna keep an eye on this for a few days and let you know if it continues.

PS. Who Dat! Geaux Saints!

I read your post last night about this so i fired up the NFL app and streamed the game and no matter what i tried i could get it to lag or stutter at all.
    No problem for me at all with wifi. Which version did everyone get? I got the red MGF, i wonder if the material has something to do with it

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone
    10-31-2014 10:03 AM
    Thank you for testing NFL. Maybe it is the ballistic nylon I have, or my wifi network, or just my magnetic personality? Lol

Either way, I'll try it again this Sunday while watching Red zone on the Turbo.

10-31-2014 01:31 PM
    How is the range on the Wifi. I am somewhat far from the wifi router and I have an iPhone from work and it is not perfect put it stays connected with decent speed. My personal phone, droid maxx always dips in and out of connection or quality of the connection. I was wondering that is that the same case with the Turbo or is the wifi antenna strong and can get good wifi signals from the farther end of the range of the wifi router. I doing want to use my data plan all the time if I can get a wifi signal. It sounds like so far it is not very strong in the Wifi department.
    11-01-2014 03:56 PM
    I had problems with streaming video one time with NFL mobile. The rest of the times have been fine including Band of Brothers in HD over Amazon Instant Video last night. No problem then. I'm thinking it might be the NFL Mobile app causing lag.

As far as range, it is pretty darn good. I have a network extender and I get way better connection than I did with with my Droid Razr M. Usually full or 4 bars all over the house.

Actually, I restored 400MB of pics from VZW cloud over WiFi this morning (while streaming Pandora and downloading apps from Play Store!) and it was really fast!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-01-2014 04:04 PM
    I had problems with streaming video one time with NFL mobile. The rest of the times have been fine including Band of Brothers in HD over Amazon Instant Video last night. No problem then. I'm thinking it might be the NFL Mobile app causing lag.

As far as range, it is pretty darn good. I have a network extender and I get way better connection than I did with with my Droid Razr M. Usually full or 4 bars all over the house.

Actually, I restored 400GB of pics from VZW cloud over WiFi this morning (while streaming Pandora and downloading apps from Play Store!) and it was really fast!

400GB of pictures over WiFi to a 64GB phone. Talk about skill using a shoe horn
    11-01-2014 06:49 PM
    400GB of pictures over WiFi to a 64GB phone. Talk about skill using a shoe horn
    ROTFL...make that 400MB

Eclipse2K likes this.
    11-01-2014 07:01 PM
    My WiFi signal seems to be pretty consistently weak. I had full or almost full signal at my house with my galaxy s3, but have 1 bar with my turbo. It occasionally bumps up to 2 bars or down to 0...
    11-01-2014 07:33 PM
    My seems about the same as my s5
    11-01-2014 07:50 PM
    The WiFi reports are puzzling. My signal is at least as strong as my Maxx and the speeds are about double, approaching that of hardwired computers. Since installing an Asus AC68U router some time back I've had exceptional range on the 2.4G band and will reach beyond 200 yards down the street in one direction from my house. I ran a speed test there with the Turbo and it equalled my Maxx from within my living room. I'm elated with WiFi performance & phone signal is unchanged (and good) from the Maxx.
    Deron Baker likes this.
    11-01-2014 08:11 PM
    First, make sure to go to WiFi menu, then click the menu button and to to Advance settings. Make sure that option to "Avoid poor connections" is unchecked. Turn that stupid setting off. Nothing but trouble on previous phones when I had that enabled.

brybelle22 likes this.
    11-01-2014 11:26 PM
    Here are some Speed test dot net app readings I got with my Droid Turbo and iPad Air (for comparison). The top reading is 4G, but the other three readings are WiFi. I stood in different places for each respective reading, but did it in the same spots for each device. One reading was in the farthest part of the garage while the router is upstairs on the other side of the house. The bottom most reading is standing 3 feet from the router. My Droid Turbo actually has decent WiFi speeds and connection strength.

First pic is Droid Turbo readings, second pic is iPad Air readings. I live in Sanford, FL. I am using a cable modem with advertised speeds up to 90 megabits per second. Although the Droid Turbo did well, iPad Air dominated.

11-01-2014 11:32 PM
    How is the range on the Wifi. I am somewhat far from the wifi router and I have an iPhone from work and it is not perfect put it stays connected with decent speed. My personal phone, droid maxx always dips in and out of connection or quality of the connection. I was wondering that is that the same case with the Turbo or is the wifi antenna strong and can get good wifi signals from the farther end of the range of the wifi router. I doing want to use my data plan all the time if I can get a wifi signal. It sounds like so far it is not very strong in the Wifi department.
    My Droid Turbo seems equal or better than my Droid Maxx for WiFi signal strength.
    11-01-2014 11:41 PM
    My WiFi signal seems to be pretty consistently weak. I had full or almost full signal at my house with my galaxy s3, but have 1 bar with my turbo. It occasionally bumps up to 2 bars or down to 0...
    Is the Wi-Fi Signal consistently weak with all the APs or you are observing the issue only with the AP in your house? Also is your phone in a folio? Can you please provide the AP name, AP configuration and firmware of the AP you are using in your house?
    11-03-2014 05:25 AM
    Is the Wi-Fi Signal consistently weak with all the APs or you are observing the issue only with the AP in your house? Also is your phone in a folio? Can you please provide the AP name, AP configuration and firmware of the AP you are using in your house?
    11-03-2014 05:27 AM
    uh, no.
    11-03-2014 07:58 AM
    My wifi signal strength has been pretty bad all around my house with my new Turbo. Compared to wife's original Moto X, our two ipads and my BlackBerry Q10, the Turbo is by far the worst.
    11-04-2014 04:33 PM
    I think there is a problem with the phone, and right now I believe it can be fixed via update.
    Both my phone and my wife's phone are really fast on wifi, but the more data we used, the faster it stops working (like a memory leak, but not). When it happens, if you turn off the wifi card and back on it starts working again. To automate this, I used Tasker to check if wifi is connected every 15 min (if connected) to turn off/on wifi card. It seems that after a few days go by with out a reboot the data can stop working after 10 min, when it originally seems more like 20 or 30 min with heavy use. I just noticed this and rebooted the phone to test. If this continues, I may reboot the phone every day to so needed or not just to make sure wifi keeps working.

There is also a forum talking about this on Motorola's public forum, and it appears like they have an employee that is paying attention. Its too bad its hard to decipher what are actual problems and user issues as I feel like some of the comments are making it harder to trouble shoot.
    As I am new to this site, I am not able to post the link properly. I added a space in there after the http:... if you copy/paste, take note and remove.
    https: //forums.motorola.com/posts/06a2f3c5ca?page=1

have tech questions? are you a gamer? help us help you and others and have your questions answered on our website.
    wicketts.net
    BlueBlazer60 likes this.
    11-16-2014 02:07 PM
    Link referenced above to Droid Turbo WiFi Issues

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/06a2f3c5ca?page=1

Thanks DustyBlue
    11-16-2014 03:47 PM
27 12