11-22-2015 07:52 PM
92 1234
tools
    Lollipop is supposed to change that. You'll be able to remove carrier bloatware entirely.
    11-03-2014 02:03 PM
    Mobile Hotspot works fine now that VZW fixed it, plus it's a free service for More Everything subscribers, though it depletes data rather fast.

Also, thus list includes some of the nuts and bolts components of the Android experience, and I wouldn't recommend disabling or uninstalling these unless you are an advanced user. Proceed at your own risk.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-03-2014 02:33 PM
    Thanks for the list. Used discretion and experimented with a lot of it.

Newbie question:

When I take the software upgrade (haven't yet), will the system dump everything back to where it was before?
    11-03-2014 03:25 PM
    No, everything should remain the same for your changes and apps since this is just an incremental update. The Android 5.0 update may be different though.

camachinist likes this.
    11-03-2014 03:35 PM
    if you cant delete the apps... if they are disabled are their icons gone as well?
    11-03-2014 03:57 PM
    if you cant delete the apps... if they are disabled are their icons gone as well?
    Yuppers

11-03-2014 04:00 PM
    All of my questions answered, thank you!
    I was positively overwhelmed by all these programs coming from an IPhone.
    This has been very helpful.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-03-2014 05:04 PM
    The following is a master list of all pre-installed apps on the Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo, that are able to be disabled, while not affecting vital system processes or stability. If anybody has any to add, please do so. If anybody has any questions, please ask.

Model Number: Droid Turbo
    System Version: 21.21.15.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US
    Android Version: 4.4.4

Amazon
    Amazon app suite
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon Music
    Android Live Wallpapers
    Appstore (Amazon appstore)
    Audible
    Audio Effects (built-in eq, *note: disable if you're experiencing low speaker volume)
    Badger
    Basic Daydreams
    Black Hole (live wallpaper)
    Bubbles (live wallpaper)
    Calendar (System calendar, *note do not disable Calendar storage as this will prevent use of both system calendar app and the downloadable Google one.
    Call My Droid (feature to ring phone via voice activation to find if misplaced and is close enough to activate voice launch phrase)
    Caller Name ID
    Camera (If a third party camera app is installed)
    Chrome (if you use another browser)
    Clock
    Cloud (Verizon Cloud)
    Cloud Print
    com.android.wallpaper.holospiral (live wallpaper system process)
    com.verizon.permissions.app..
    com.verizon.permissions.vzw
    Command Center (system display app)
    Connect (Moto connect)
    Droid Zap
    Email (stock email)
    Emergency Alerts
    Face Unlock
    FamilyBase Companion
    Google Hindi Input
    Google Keyboard
    Google Korean keyboard
    Google Pinyin Input
    Google Play Books
    Google Play Games
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Google Play Music
    Google Play Newsstand
    Google Search (although I believe this may kill Google Now)
    Google+
    Hangouts
    Help
    Home screen tips
    HP Print Service Plugin
    IMDB
    iWnn IME
    iWnnIME Keyboard (White)
    Magic Smoke Wallpapers
    Message+
    Mobile Hotspot (I hear it doesn't work anyway)
    Moto (suite app that governs always listening, moto display, etc...)
    Moto Actions
    Moto Display (active display)
    Moto Voice
    Motorola FlipCase Services (other Motorola services still work)
    Motorola Migrate (great app, no need to have after using it though)
    Music Visualization Wallpapers (live wallpaper)
    My InfoZone (My Verizon widget)
    My Verizon Mobile
    NFL Mobile
    Phase Beam (live wallpaper)
    Photo Screensavers
    Print Spooler
    Setup Wizard (the annoying Verizon checklist when you first activate your phone)
    Slacker Radio
    Smartcard Service
    Softcard
    Sound Recorder (in the past hasn't had any impact, no pre-installed app to record sound)
    Tags (can't disable NFC anymore, but can
    Talkback (Accessibility feature for handicap)
    User Dictionary (stored dictionary for keyboard, I use SwiftKey user)
    Verizon Location Agent (doesn't affect Google location settings, which are the important ones)
    Verizon Login (don't know, don't need)
    Verizon Support & Protection (scare tactic to install a system lagging antivirus scanner which is completely pointless at this point in time, unless you're a real dirty birdy)
    VZ Navigator (Verizon paid navigation)
    VZWAPN
    VZWAVSService
    Dude, did you disable all these apps?

Phone junkie
    11-03-2014 05:51 PM
    Dude, did you disable all these apps?

Phone junkie
    I did initially to test if there was an affect on system processes. But, no, I do not currently have all of those listed disable. I enjoy some of the apps on that list.
    11-03-2014 06:24 PM
    I did initially to test if there was an affect on system processes. But, no, I do not currently have all of those listed disable. I enjoy some of the apps on that list.
    Was there any improvements.

Phone junkie
    11-03-2014 08:39 PM
    Actually, Setup Wizard can't be disabled, even though it's in your list. The rest of the stuff is good to go, though.
    11-03-2014 09:45 PM
    Actually, Setup Wizard can't be disabled, even though it's in your list. The rest of the stuff is good to go, though.
    Third from the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-1415078368235.jpg  
    11-03-2014 11:19 PM
    I disabled all of the Amazon apps. They're totally useless for me.

Posted via the blazing fast Motorola Droid Turbo.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-03-2014 11:21 PM
    Third from the bottom.
    Oh, I got confused. I have 3 different Setup Wizards on my phone and I was reading from the bottom up. 2 of them have a colored Red Checkbox and the other one has the generic Android one. Only the generic Android one is able to be disabled, so I stand corrected.
    11-04-2014 08:03 AM
    Oh, I got confused. I have 3 different Setup Wizards on my phone and I was reading from the bottom up. 2 of them have a colored Red Checkbox and the other one has the generic Android one. Only the generic Android one is able to be disabled, so I stand corrected.
    Yeah, it is odd to have two setup wizards with the Verizon Logo, and one as a Generic Android one. As a general rule of thumb, the android picture in the app menu represents a process rather than an app. Disabling the process kills the app, which is how I was able to disable Verizon's Backup Sync on my old Maxx. Similarly, disabling this setup wizard kills the Verizon Setup Wizard that appears when we first activate our phones.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-05-2014 01:13 PM
    My understanding is that the feature that carriers can use that would allow us actual uninstall of bloatware is already a part of KitKat, and not new in Lollipop. Also, there is no reason for us to believe that carriers will suddenly start using it once Lollipop hits.

I have seen a slew of articles that suggest otherwise as well, but apparently it's not true. Phil and the guys on the AC podcast mentioned it last Friday in fact (and Andrew enlightened me the day before on Twitter).

It's part fallacy, part pipe dream.
    11-05-2014 03:46 PM
    I have the vast majority of them disabled. A handful survive.
    11-05-2014 03:51 PM
    I have the vast majority of them disabled. A handful survive.
    Seems like a lot of work for a new phone. I'm being really turned off by this.

Phone junkie
    11-05-2014 03:59 PM

Phone junkie
    Yeah, it's a drag, but at least you do it and its done. On occassion you might change your mind about using a feature and you can just enable it (and download any update).

Given that we can't just uninstall what we don't want (like crapware on a desktop computer), at least it isn't sucking battery and processor resources. Even if it is still hogging storage space. It defnitly makes a difference in both battery drain and OS snappiness.
    mobrules likes this.
    11-05-2014 04:03 PM
    Yeah, it's a drag, but at least you do it and its done. On occassion you might change your mind about using a feature and you can just enable it (and download any update).

Given that we can't just uninstall what we don't want (like crapware on a desktop computer), at least it isn't sucking battery and processor resources. Even if it is still hogging storage space. It defnitly makes a difference in both battery drain and OS snappiness.
    Good to know, man. Thanks

Phone junkie
    KPMcClave likes this.
    11-05-2014 05:50 PM

Phone junkie
    If you're buying a phone from one of the major US carriers, you're going to run into this. Disabling them does the trick and, really, these phones have enough storage where it shouldn't be a issue if you can't uninstall them. We all hope for root, but the whole bloatware thing really isn't that big of a deal since Jelly Bean.
    11-05-2014 08:10 PM
    i just got my droid turbo on thursday, coming from an iphone 5. to be honest, i loved my iphone and didn't think it was in any way too small or too slow....but the battery sucked, and verizon offered me a $200 trade-in, so it was time to get something with a monster battery. back on team android, after a 2 year break. and man, there's a LOT of bloatware on here! here's what i decided to disable. yesterday, before i did this, i was getting about 6%/hour battery drain, which is a lot better than my iphone got, but my goal is to push it down to an even 5% per hour.

DROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-21.jpgDROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-33.jpgDROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-51.jpgDROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-56.jpgDROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-39.jpgDROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable-screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-46.jpg
    mobrules likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:27 PM
    What about "Verizon Location Sercice", VZWAPN, or VZWAPN? Can anyone tell me what any of these three do, and if they are safe to disable without causing problems?
    11-20-2014 06:14 AM
    What about "Verizon Location Sercice", VZWAPN, or VZWAPN? Can anyone tell me what any of these three do, and if they are safe to disable without causing problems?
    Verizon Location Agent is an extra location service to Google's own that Verizon uses in Messages+ integration. Same with VZWAPN. I had all 3 disabled and some settings in messages + didn't work. I wouldn't send location through it, so I kept Verizon location agent disabled, and the other two on. As well as keeping Verizon login on, which is still under investigation. The settings menu within that app no longer force close, and it doesn't ping for location and drain battery.
    11-20-2014 10:43 AM
    I do use Message+... So are you saying with location agent on it always pings location even if you have location turned off in the message+ settings menu? So which one are you saying saves battery by disabling?... Also Typed the one twice bit meant to ask about VZWAVSService to... What does it do, and is it safe to disable?
    11-21-2014 01:10 AM
92 1234