DROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which "bloatware" apps did you disable on your Droid Turbo?

My understanding is that the feature that carriers can use that would allow us actual uninstall of bloatware is already a part of KitKat, and not new in Lollipop. Also, there is no reason for us to believe that carriers will suddenly start using it once Lollipop hits.

I have seen a slew of articles that suggest otherwise as well, but apparently it's not true. Phil and the guys on the AC podcast mentioned it last Friday in fact (and Andrew enlightened me the day before on Twitter).

It's part fallacy, part pipe dream.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: App Disabling For Maximum Battery Life and Performance

I did initially to test if there was an affect on system processes. But, no, I do not currently have all of those listed disable. I enjoy some of the apps on that list.

I have the vast majority of them disabled. A handful survive.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Seems like a lot of work for a new phone. I'm being really turned off by this.

Phone junkie

Yeah, it's a drag, but at least you do it and its done. On occassion you might change your mind about using a feature and you can just enable it (and download any update).

Given that we can't just uninstall what we don't want (like crapware on a desktop computer), at least it isn't sucking battery and processor resources. Even if it is still hogging storage space. It defnitly makes a difference in both battery drain and OS snappiness.

Vic Rivera

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, it's a drag, but at least you do it and its done. On occassion you might change your mind about using a feature and you can just enable it (and download any update).

Given that we can't just uninstall what we don't want (like crapware on a desktop computer), at least it isn't sucking battery and processor resources. Even if it is still hogging storage space. It defnitly makes a difference in both battery drain and OS snappiness.

Good to know, man. Thanks

Phone junkie

hajabooja

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Seems like a lot of work for a new phone. I'm being really turned off by this.

Phone junkie

If you're buying a phone from one of the major US carriers, you're going to run into this. Disabling them does the trick and, really, these phones have enough storage where it shouldn't be a issue if you can't uninstall them. We all hope for root, but the whole bloatware thing really isn't that big of a deal since Jelly Bean.

davehzrd

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
i just got my droid turbo on thursday, coming from an iphone 5. to be honest, i loved my iphone and didn't think it was in any way too small or too slow....but the battery sucked, and verizon offered me a $200 trade-in, so it was time to get something with a monster battery. back on team android, after a 2 year break. and man, there's a LOT of bloatware on here! here's what i decided to disable. yesterday, before i did this, i was getting about 6%/hour battery drain, which is a lot better than my iphone got, but my goal is to push it down to an even 5% per hour.

Screenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-21.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-33.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-51.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-56.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-39.jpgScreenshot_2014-11-17-12-04-46.jpg

mwbryant1977

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
What about "Verizon Location Sercice", VZWAPN, or VZWAPN? Can anyone tell me what any of these three do, and if they are safe to disable without causing problems?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What about "Verizon Location Sercice", VZWAPN, or VZWAPN? Can anyone tell me what any of these three do, and if they are safe to disable without causing problems?

Verizon Location Agent is an extra location service to Google's own that Verizon uses in Messages+ integration. Same with VZWAPN. I had all 3 disabled and some settings in messages + didn't work. I wouldn't send location through it, so I kept Verizon location agent disabled, and the other two on. As well as keeping Verizon login on, which is still under investigation. The settings menu within that app no longer force close, and it doesn't ping for location and drain battery.

mwbryant1977

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I do use Message+... So are you saying with location agent on it always pings location even if you have location turned off in the message+ settings menu? So which one are you saying saves battery by disabling?... Also Typed the one twice bit meant to ask about VZWAVSService to... What does it do, and is it safe to disable?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I do use Message+... So are you saying with location agent on it always pings location even if you have location turned off in the message+ settings menu? So which one are you saying saves battery by disabling?... Also Typed the one twice bit meant to ask about VZWAVSService to... What does it do, and is it safe to disable?

Messaging + works fine with Verizon Location disabled. That saves battery because it always pings. Vzwwav I believe has to do with sending sound recordings. It is safe to disable if you aren't going to use that feature. I noticed location agent appearing alot in my location settings where it shows what location services are in use and the type of battery drain.

Basically, I have Verizon Login, VZWAPN, and VZWWAV on, and Verizon Location Service disabled as that was the potential battery drain.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
IIRC, one can tap and hold on the clock until it unsticks and drag it to the 'remove' text that appears. I did it by accident when messing with the phone after getting it.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Messaging + works fine with Verizon Location disabled. That saves battery because it always pings. Vzwwav I believe has to do with sending sound recordings. It is safe to disable if you aren't going to use that feature. I noticed location agent appearing alot in my location settings where it shows what location services are in use and the type of battery drain.

Basically, I have Verizon Login, VZWAPN, and VZWWAV on, and Verizon Location Service disabled as that was the potential battery drain.

This doesn't seem the perfect spot to ask this, but since it may have to do with something I disabled, I'm wondering if Messages+ is not supposed to save your personalization settings (Tones, Backgrounds, Bubbles Colors) for individuals? I have found it only saves them temporarily for the current discussion with a Contact. If I delete that conversation, the next (new) discussion with that person is in the default style (which is saved with my personalizations, at least).

Any idea if this is something I disabled inadvertantly, or if the app simply doesn't allow for permanent personalization of contacts (which seems dumb). The alternative seems to be that I have to save every discussion to maintain the settings.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't seem the perfect spot to ask this, but since it may have to do with something I disabled, I'm wondering if Messages+ is not supposed to save your personalization settings (Tones, Backgrounds, Bubbles Colors) for individuals? I have found it only saves them temporarily for the current discussion with a Contact. If I delete that conversation, the next (new) discussion with that person is in the default style (which is saved with my personalizations, at least).

Any idea if this is something I disabled inadvertantly, or if the app simply doesn't allow for permanent personalization of contacts (which seems dumb). The alternative seems to be that I have to save every discussion to maintain the settings.

On Verizon Messages, to change personalization settings for all conversations, rather than just an individual one, press the hamburger menu when on the screen that displays all of your conversations. Then select any of the options under the heading "Customize All". This option controls the personalization settings for every conversation. I assume you pressed the hamburger menu while in a select conversation which gives you similar personalization options, but is under the heading "Customize Conversation". This will override the default personalization settings for a particular convo. Changing the same type of settings from the screen that displays all of the convos will be the default settings for every convo that isn't individually personalized.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
On Verizon Messages, to change personalization settings for all conversations, rather than just an individual one, press the hamburger menu when on the screen that displays all of your conversations. Then select any of the options under the heading "Customize All". This option controls the personalization settings for every conversation. I assume you pressed the hamburger menu while in a select conversation which gives you similar personalization options, but is under the heading "Customize Conversation". This will override the default personalization settings for a particular convo. Changing the same type of settings from the screen that displays all of the convos will be the default settings for every convo that isn't individually personalized.

Thanks for the reply, but I knew that stuff. My question was about personalizing individual contacts and having those stick. I got my answer after my earlier post. Message+ only allows for personalization of conversations and not of contacts. I think that's just dumb, so I uninstalled and am back to Textra. Hopefully they add contact personalization so I don't have to save my interactions in order to save my settings. I did like the app otherwise andf would use it if not for this.

So, it wasn't related to anything I had disabled in Apps. Sorry for the detour.