DROID TURBO: Apps OK to disable

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but I knew that stuff. My question was about personalizing individual contacts and having those stick. I got my answer after my earlier post. Message+ only allows for personalization of conversations and not of contacts. I think that's just dumb, so I uninstalled and am back to Textra. Hopefully they add contact personalization so I don't have to save my interactions in order to save my settings. I did like the app otherwise andf would use it if not for this.

So, it wasn't related to anything I had disabled in Apps. Sorry for the detour.

So if you change a ringtone for a specific contact, then delete the conversation, it deletes the changed ringtone for a future message? That does seem kind of stupid. I didn't understand at first, because saving such a setting seems so basic.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So if you change a ringtone for a specific contact, then delete the conversation, it deletes the changed ringtone for a future message? That does seem kind of stupid. I didn't understand at first, because saving such a setting seems so basic.

That's exactly right. If you and I were texting and I set personalized tone, background and bubble colors for you, they would only stay if I didn't delete that current conversation.

So, all of your conversations with individuals would have to be one long saved conversation to keep formatting (it may be possible to just save a single "placeholder" message but I'm not sure...and that's still dumb).
It's still a nice enough app. Overall default personalization works fine. I see no value added in conversation personalization and it just makes me notice even more that contact personalization isn't there.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That's exactly right. If you and I were texting and I set personalized tone, background and bubble colors for you, they would only stay if I didn't delete that current conversation.

So, all of your conversations with individuals would have to be one long saved conversation to keep formatting (it may be possible to just save a single "placeholder" message but I'm not sure...and that's still dumb).
It's still a nice enough app. Overall default personalization works fine. I see no value added in conversation personalization and it just makes me notice even more that contact personalization isn't there.

I agree it does lack in that department. The real benefit of Verizon Messages to me is that I can send and receive messages over WiFi, and it integrates very well with all of my devices, including my computer, much better than Moto Connect, which I began to experience problems with after switching from my Maxx to Turbo.

VooDooCC

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Learned the hard way to not disable Motorola Connect Thought it was only for the 360. Doesn't the woke day ending why I could pair, but not connect to my car stereo.

jjjjjmmmmm

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure about this !!!???...I am a BRAND NEW S.Phone User and have No prior knowledge or expertise on these matters,...but - your answer addresses my biggest dillema ! " What exactly can i disable w/o affecting other apps or programs ",....according to the stock window that pops up everytime i try to do so,...Scaring me Not to,..by telling me it is " Going to affect other apps and cause system to gliotch " if i do so,...REALLY need some valuable input here,...basic user who just wants a phone that can make calls and get on the web,....nothing more,.....also - can you NOT have every pic and video you take put on your google acct, by disabling something,.....old man here,......first s. phone. ( sorry - again - new user,...i dont know where it is going, Cloud,..Whatever...)...and NOT affect other apps or operating system at the same time ?

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Which "bloatware" apps did you disable on your Droid Turbo?

I actually like messages +. Syncs with same app on my Nexus 7 and the messages page on the Verizon website. Enables synced SMS everywhere.

I too really like Message +! It's the first Verizon App I've actually used and it is very well done! I enjoy the customization aspect of it a lot too.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

I have recently installed Textra to replace the stock text messaging app.
I was viewing a picture in my gallery and selected to share it via text.. the picture opened in my stock text messaging app and, since I have selected Textra to be my default, the picture couldn't be sent.

How do I disable the stock text messaging app?
What all do I need to disable in the All Apps list?

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I have recently installed Textra to replace the stock text messaging app.
I was viewing a picture in my gallery and selected to share it via text.. the picture opened in my stock text messaging app and, since I have selected Textra to be my default, the picture couldn't be sent.

How do I disable the stock text messaging app?
What all do I need to disable in the All Apps list?

Settings - more - default messaging app. (make sure textra is set) but I think your problem is that you're trying to share via the stock messaging icon/button. You have to hit the hamburger menu and select the blue T/Textra icon.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I just noticed that. While viewing the picture within the gallery, I clicked the share icon (line connecting three bold dots in the form of a lesser than sign) and selected to share using Textra. Worked. Just wish the default messaging app option would disappear from the options list since it isn't the default anymore.
I did check the settings - more and Textra is set as the default.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, I just noticed that. While viewing the picture within the gallery, I clicked the share icon (line connecting three bold dots in the form of a lesser than sign) and selected to share using Textra. Worked. Just wish the default messaging app option would disappear from the options list since it isn't the default anymore.
I did check the settings - more and Textra is set as the default.

You're welcome! Glad to help. Also, the default share button is adaptive. It will change to whatever you use to share with the most.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, it functions just like my Razr Maxx did. I guess I was just over thinking something due to my awe of my new Turbo lol

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if it can be disabled on the turbo, but you should be able to open the app drawer and drag the messaging app icon as if you wanted to place it on a home screen. However, there should be an "app info" drag target at the top of the display. Drag it there; if there is a disable button that's active, tap it and the messaging app will no longer appear in the app drawer or the share intents list.

duck911

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site

Call My Droid is an integral part of Moto Voice. If you can't find your phone you can shout "OK Google (or whatever phrase you chose), call my droid" and the phone will ring with a high pitched tone so you can find it.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

That doesn't really work all the time. I left my phone in my desk drawer - which was halfway open - and I was yelling out okay Google and it never did alert me.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I know this post is a couple months old but I just stumbled across it. Did you happen to disable an app called "Badger". Killing it would do what you described.

Hello. I went through and disabled several of the apps listed here. Now my calendar icon (the one that came with the phone) does not show the date. Which app would have controlled that?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Call My Droid is an integral part of Moto Voice. If you can't find your phone you can shout "OK Google (or whatever phrase you chose), call my droid" and the phone will ring with a high pitched tone so you can find it

Yeah as long as you aren't farther than 3 feet away