Charging question about the Turbo!

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Hello all...hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I got the Turbo last night and when I plug it in to charge, it recognizes the fast charger and charges super fast, however, I can't figure out how to give it a regular slower charge to make the batter last longer. I checked under battery settings but there is no option to turn off fast charging.

I also have the Note 4 with the fast charging and there is an option to turn it on and off under the battery options.

Just wondering if I am missing anything. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted via the Android Central App

HeyItsChally

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I believe the wall adapter itself is the turbo charger. If you use a spare adapter with the USB cord provided, you'll get your normal charge. I'm not sure if there's actually a way to disable the turbo charging, as it is native to the adapter itself.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though!

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
From all I've read, I don't think we can turn off the Turbo charging manually but it does slow to a normal charge once the battery gets to around 50% in the Turbo charger. It's safe to leave it on Turbo charger the whole time bc the circuitry is designed to protect the battery.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Any thoughts on using the Turbo charging "block" with a wireless pad charging pad??

Don't think it will give Turbo charge through conductive external charge, may ruin your pad. Anybody else know more about this?

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
On the charger itself, it says it supports three different modes: standard 5v, Turbo #1 9v, and Turbo #2 12v. It would be cool if there was a way to switch to a slower charge based on command.

Attachments

• 1414816943522.jpg
    1414816943522.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 61

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
At what percentage does your phone need to be at for the Turbo feature to work?

Not certain, but I've heard between 0% & 50% from those that attended the launch in NY. They all say the lower it is the faster it charges til it gets to the switch point which may be around 50%?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm one of those people who charges my phone every night while I'm sleeping. I did it with my Maxx and had zero issues during the entire year I had it. If I understand what you all are saying, the fast charging is not activated if the phone has less than 50% battery remaining when put on the charger. And if the phone has less than 50% remaining when you put it on the charger, then it will fast charge until 50%, but then slow to a normal charge. This would seen to make it safe to continue charging overnight using the Turbo charger that came in the box, is that correct?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of those people who charges my phone every night while I'm sleeping. I did it with my Maxx and had zero issues during the entire year I had it. If I understand what you all are saying, the fast charging is not activated if the phone has less than 50% battery remaining when put on the charger. And if the phone has less than 50% remaining when you put it on the charger, then it will fast charge until 50%, but then slow to a normal charge. This would seen to make it safe to continue charging overnight using the Turbo charger that came in the box, is that correct?
Exactly correct.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a wireless pad that I have been using to charge the Turbo over night and it work fine. I did let the phone go down to 15% and the turbo charger brought it up to almost 40% in 19 minutes

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
One relevant anecdote I noted yesterday was throwing the phone on the charger when it was at 65% (indicated) and hopping in the shower and came back about 20 minutes later surprised to see it at 100%. Still working off that today about 22 hours later, now listening to music, and it's currently at 76%.

From my readings, the phone and charger 'talk' to each other and the choice regarding charge type is automatic. I did note that, the first time I charged the phone from 0% (how received), it did get warm for about 15 minutes. Subsequent charges have found the unit cool to touch. I'll discharge it today and run some temperature and charge tests tonight.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

I think you meant to say "more than 50%" in your first condition... But yes, that is correct. Supposedly just as safe as a standard charger for the Turbo and Moto X (which are the only phones Moto recommend using on the Turbo charger)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think you meant to say "more than 50%" in your first condition... But yes, that is correct. Supposedly just as safe as a standard charger for the Turbo and Moto X (which are the only phones Moto recommend using on the Turbo charger)

That's right, I meant to write "more than 50%". Thanks for the response!

Eric Wei

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
One relevant anecdote I noted yesterday was throwing the phone on the charger when it was at 65% (indicated) and hopping in the shower and came back about 20 minutes later surprised to see it at 100%. Still working off that today about 22 hours later, now listening to music, and it's currently at 76%.

From my readings, the phone and charger 'talk' to each other and the choice regarding charge type is automatic. I did note that, the first time I charged the phone from 0% (how received), it did get warm for about 15 minutes. Subsequent charges have found the unit cool to touch. I'll discharge it today and run some temperature and charge tests tonight.

Really?! How on earth do u get it to last that long?! I never get more than a days worth of use from a single charge. It also heats up significantly when I'm charging it.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
The turbo charger wouldn't give you less battery life as opposed to normal charging. This phone fully supports quick charge and has all the hardware designed to accept it. The reason it is very useful is because the battery is significantly larger than other phones. Think about it like laptops. All laptops charge at varying voltages, mainly depending on how powerful of a computer it is. If you have a small energy efficient netbook with a 3 cell battery it usually will have a less powerful charger. If you have an alienware gaming laptop with a 9 cell battery it will most likely have a much stronger charger. All laptop chargers vary in voltages to match the needs of that laptop. Smartphone used to be all the same charging requirements. I see it as they are becoming more computer like in that they are starting to get there own specific needs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge