02-01-2015 07:44 AM
48 12
tools
    Does the wireless charging work through cases? I was considering the LifeProof case for the Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon. I'm new to wireless charging so don't know the limitations.

Does anyone have any experience with that case? Is it overly bulky?
    12-08-2014 01:43 PM
    Been charging mine on occassion with a Defender case using a PowerBot charger, alignment seems to be the key.
    12-08-2014 01:54 PM
    Does the wireless charging work through cases? I was considering the LifeProof case for the Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon. I'm new to wireless charging so don't know the limitations.

Does anyone have any experience with that case? Is it overly bulky?
    Qi charging seems to work with many cases. Not sure about the Lifeproof since I'm waiting on my Vu, but about the case itself:

I'm returning mine for two main reasons: sound is muffled rather substantially, for me and for callers on the other end. And, pressing the capacitative buttons is somewhat impeded by the lip of the case (whatever it's called). Bulk wasn't a big issue for me, being as it is a waterproof case. I would estimate the bulk to be between the Otterbox Commuter and Defender.
    12-08-2014 02:50 PM
    I've tried multiple chargers: The Tylt VU (and another on amazon that looks like it - link somewhere on p1) - but I didn't like the larger amount of desk space needed for them and I also didn't like the near-horizontal angle for a bedside table. They definitly worked well - the $24 one worked as well as the $60 Tylt. I returned them both after trying the Tmvel T2 (also at amazon). Charged equally well, cheaper than the Tylt (unless you got it at half price) and I like the angle and footprint much more (for me).

Just thought I would put my thoughts here sine I didn't find much input on more than a couple of chargers prior to having to order (and return).
    12-08-2014 04:03 PM
    Kool Pad works great for me. I've used it for my last 3 phones.
    12-08-2014 05:38 PM
    A couple of things I've had issues with with ALL of the Qi chargers that I have tried so far is

#1 if I use daydream (or some other 'clock' type app so I can see the time when I wake up), the phone turns off daydream once it reaches 100%
    #2 If I use daydream (or any other clock app) - reaching 100% takes FOREVER. Alot of times I am waking up with the phone only 65-75% charged (where it charges without issue to 100% if I DON'T use a clock app)
    #3 If I try to address #1 and force the clock app open by various means (tasker, etc), it may hit 100% but it declines from there. Again, I wake up with a partially charged phone.

Anyone found any solutions here (without abandoning the Qi charger)?
    12-09-2014 08:14 AM
    No, afraid not - all of that is by design. Daydream is designed to be used while the phone is plugged in. Qi is designed (for the safety of the battery) to stop charging when the phone hits 100% (and then start again if the phone falls a bit.) Qi is also a slow charging technology (1 amp) compared with a standard plug-in USB charger, so charging times are longer, and turning the display on will divert power from charging to power the display.

It's pretty simple - if you want Daydream, you want to plug in the phone. If you want an alarm clock display on a Qi charger, you have to look for a third party app that will do so - Daydream will not.
    ckelly33 likes this.
    12-09-2014 09:41 AM
    Edit. Never mind. Was just inquiring if a workaround had been found without abandoning the Qi
    12-09-2014 02:43 PM
    Another vote for the Nokia DT-900. It works great with my phone.
    12-09-2014 03:16 PM
    I've got the Droid Turbo BN with an Incipio case on the way. Does anyone know of a Qi v1.2 charger that will guarantee it charges through the case? I really like the TYLT VÜ but it is not v1.2. I can't find a site that mentions the version of Qi in use. They all just say "Qi compatible".
    12-10-2014 08:07 PM
    Was messing with the demo one at the Turbo display when I was trading in my old phone. My turbo recognized it right away and began charging almost instantly. When I was in there upgrading the wife's phone the same charger was very temperamental. After about 10 tries, it finally recognized.

This same charger was linked on page 1 Verizon Qi Wireless Charging Stand | Verizon Wireless
    12-10-2014 11:13 PM
    Right now there are a ton of Turbos not working well with any Qi charger. Personally I just bought 2 Tylt Vu Qi chargers and over the last 3 days I had to stop using it. Shortly after putting my Turbo on the Tylt Vu the battery showed 100% after 15 minutes. Take it off sent some email and I was below 20% again. In the AC Forums, Motorola Forums, and 2 others I read multiple links advise not using any Qi charger due to some kind of software issue (I hope not hardware) I went back to using my Turbo Charger or my Samsung 2.1 amp charger or any other charger and they all accurately show the proper battery percentage

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    12-10-2014 11:55 PM
    ^^ Wait, wha...? I hadn't heard about the DT's issues with the Vu specifically (EDIT), where have I been?! I was planning to use it as my daily/overnight charger. I guess I should thank you because now I'm not so irked anymore that my order from Tylt isn't arriving until after Christmas.
    12-11-2014 12:01 AM
    My wife and I both have Tylt chargers, and haven't had a problem with them at all, ever. Our Turbos are both BN, and have the Verizon holster on them. They charge flawlessly.
    12-11-2014 10:09 AM
    Right now there are a ton of Turbos not working well with any Qi charger. Personally I just bought 2 Tylt Vu Qi chargers and over the last 3 days I had to stop using it. Shortly after putting my Turbo on the Tylt Vu the battery showed 100% after 15 minutes. Take it off sent some email and I was below 20% again. In the AC Forums, Motorola Forums, and 2 others I read multiple links advise not using any Qi charger due to some kind of software issue (I hope not hardware) I went back to using my Turbo Charger or my Samsung 2.1 amp charger or any other charger and they all accurately show the proper battery percentage

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    I have used my Nokia DT-900 daily from day one without a hint of a problem.

Posted via the Turbo
    12-13-2014 09:42 AM
    Just got the Itian 6 mentioned in this thread. Worked fine with my Speck Candyshell case, though it had to be slightly off center when used horizontally. Don't know how this compares to the Tylt Vu.

Roughly 20% per hour. It's my bedside charger so I'm fine with it
    36% to 59% 1 hour. 23% increase
    36% to 81 % 2 hours. 22% increase in 2nd hour
    36% to 100% 3 hours. 19% increase in 3rd hour
    12-14-2014 01:22 AM
    All chargers I have tried/used work without issue (no case). Only differentiating factor is cosmetic for me.
    12-14-2014 11:05 AM
    Just ordered the itian a6....shipping is pretty slow! Estimated Jan 15th......we'll see! Anyway, I would suggest looking for a 3-coil version! I have a Verizon model I got on special when I got my Maxx. It works with the Turbo, however physical placement on the charger is critical! It was picky with the Maxx as well!

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-18-2014 07:03 PM
    Just ordered the itian a6....shipping is pretty slow! Estimated Jan 15th......we'll see! Anyway, I would suggest looking for a 3-coil version! I have a Verizon model I got on special when I got my Maxx. It works with the Turbo, however physical placement on the charger is critical! It was picky with the Maxx as well!

Posted via the Android Central App
    I guess I got lucky with my timing, I got it on 2 days/Amazon Prime. , I think you'll be happy. As I mentioned above, it worked perfect vertically with my Speck Candyshell case, and though it had to be slightly off center when used horizontally, exact placement wasn't that critical.

Chargges roughly 20% per hour. It's my bedside charger so I'm fine with it.
    12-18-2014 07:59 PM
    "I've got the Droid Turbo BN with an Incipio case on the way. Does anyone know of a Qi v1.2 charger that will guarantee it charges through the case? I really like the TYLT VÜ but it is not v1.2. I can't find a site that mentions the version of Qi in use. They all just say "Qi compatible"."

I have that exact setup and it works perfect with the "Droid" labeled Qi Charger that verizon sold. My wife has the same setup and it works for hers too.

Robb
    12-19-2014 03:52 PM

I had this happen once with my Turbo (though not with my wifes). The fix for me was to simply go into recovery and clear the cache. Never did it again and I have had it since it first came out.

Robb
    12-19-2014 03:56 PM
    I have been using a PowerBot for a month now for all my charging with great results. I even went as far as to design a 3D printed cradle to align the phone to the charger. This was my only complaint initially was alignment was sensitive and if you bumped it in the night it would stop charging. Now with the cradle I can get the phone to check something and just drop it back in and be sure it is lined up.
    Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Any suggestions on a Qi charger?-dsc03651.jpg
    Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Any suggestions on a Qi charger?-dsc03639.jpg
    Motorola Droid Turbo - Wireless Qi Charge Cradle by raelx on Shapeways
    dungoyle likes this.
    01-31-2015 07:30 PM
    I have been using a PowerBot for a month now for all my charging with great results. I even went as far as to design a 3D printed cradle to align the phone to the charger. This was my only complaint initially was alignment was sensitive and if you bumped it in the night it would stop charging. Now with the cradle I can get the phone to check something and just drop it back in and be sure it is lined up.

Motorola Droid Turbo - Wireless Qi Charge Cradle by raelx on Shapeways
    I've multiple Power Bots laying around the house. They are cheap and get the job done. They are also a minor pain in the a$$ to align, and that is my singular complaint regarding them. I love your solution with the custom cradle. Brilliantly done sir.

I no longer use my Power Bots, because of the great deal recently with the $13 Nokia Qi chargers -- If you can get your hands on one of those on sale, they are great; they're about 4 inches long, and you can pretty much drop the phone on there without consideration for hitting the "sweet spot" on the charging coil.

Edit. Just did a search, and found this:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=5bdFNSU5
    Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Any suggestions on a Qi charger?-nokia-charger.jpg
    02-01-2015 07:44 AM
48 12