Droid Turbo: Tap to Pay with Google Wallet

wcshort22

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if Tap to Pay with Google Wallet will work with the Turbo? It wouldn't work on my rooted DNA before this. I don't want to use softcard because you can only add like 4 stupid cards...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Tap to Pay with Google Wallet

It works, used it last night when I got to the cashier and realized my wallet was in my car!

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Can I ask a stupid question just cause I've never used Google Wallet before. I've set up everything as it should be and google wallet says it's ready for NFC payment, CC info is in etc and NFC turned on.
I tapped my phone (while turned on) on a terminal that said it accepted it and uh, nothing. Do I need to hold it there for a few seconds?
I thought it would just kind of click.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Can I ask a stupid question just cause I've never used Google Wallet before. I've set up everything as it should be and google wallet says it's ready for NFC payment, CC info is in etc and NFC turned on.
I tapped my phone (while turned on) on a terminal that said it accepted it and uh, nothing. Do I need to hold it there for a few seconds?
I thought it would just kind of click.

Once you open Google Wallet - did you tap of Set up Tap and Pay (or something like that)? It won't work until you do that. Once you have set it up correctly, it will say "Tap and Pay Ready" just below the blue banner at the top

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Yep. It says Tap and pay ready. Do I have to wait for a prompt from the point of sale?

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

Yep. It says Tap and pay ready. Do I have to wait for a prompt from the point of sale?
If it's set up, just a tap will produce a tone & confirmation. Many of the businesses with tap & pay terminals do not have them actually enabled - these will beep & then, nothing. I ask first if the feature is active & the clerk "usually" (but not always) knows.

frankd1

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Tap to Pay with Google Wallet

And at least in my experience, you do have to hold the phone against the terminal for a few seconds. Many times, I've pulled the phone away after the phone beeps, then the transaction fails. If I keep the phone against the terminal for an addition 1-2 seconds after the beep, things work reliably.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

A bit off topic...I just had a friend, who was an Apple fanboy but switched to Android apparently just to complain about it, call Apple Pay a 'game-changer.' I informed him Google Wallet has been around for years. His response was that GW is too hard to set up.

/understandingstupid

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

A bit off topic...I just had a friend, who was an Apple fanboy but switched to Android apparently just to complain about it, call Apple Pay a 'game-changer.' I informed him Google Wallet has been around for years. His response was that GW is too hard to set up.

/understandingstupid

Google Wallet also works on many Android models; ApplePay works on only two iPhone models and a future watch.

That said, kudos to everybody for getting this working, and thanks to Apple for making merchants finally want to support it...

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

/understandingstupid
IMHO, Apple has brass balls touting Apple Pay as the new "all that" and for the life of me, I can't understand why the Android manufacturers don't publicize just how far behind the technology curve Apple devices really are. They could really make hay from how much more capable Android is not to mention, exposing their cute little camouflage catch word terms ala, "Retina Display". Apple successfully exploits the uninformed, the intellectually lazy & those afraid of change and the Android community let's them get away with it.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

IMHO, Apple has brass balls touting Apple Pay as the new "all that" and for the life of me, I can't understand why the Android manufacturers don't publicize just how far behind the technology curve Apple devices really are. They could really make hay from how much more capable Android is not to mention, exposing their cute little camouflage catch word terms ala, "Retina Display". Apple successfully exploits the uninformed, the intellectually lazy & those afraid of change and the Android community let's them get away with it.

Exactly. An iPhone is a dumb smartphone, simple as that. A phone for people that want to be told what they need and want. Lots of what Apple revolutionizes are things that have been done before, ad nauseum at times, that Apple just shines up a bit.

GW failed initially because it was a bit too early (merchant ports were few and far between) and some early bugs hampered it. But now that GW cleared the path, Apple is driving its 5 ton truck down the trail.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

GW failed initially because it was a bit too early (merchant ports were few and far between) and some early bugs hampered it. But now that GW cleared the path, Apple is driving its 5 ton truck down the trail.

Boy, you got that so backwards. Google Wallet and ISIS/Softcard (as well as tap to pay credit cards - I have a few of those, and have had them for many, many years now) have been out for years and barely went anywhere. Apple went crazy making deals with banks and merchants to bring tap to pay this year that just also happens to be the same standard that Softcard, Google Wallet, and the credit cards use. That's when tap to pay started being accepted, and Google Wallet got swept up in those same deals. I'm willing to bet that Google Wallet more than doubled their transactions the month that Apple Pay showed up.

Your free to hate Apple, but you're better than trying to argue that "Apple copies everybody, they're not innovative". Respect the hard work that Apple does, because it makes everybody else work harder, just like the hard work done by Google (and Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola, Microsoft, etc.) makes Apple work harder.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

You may need to wait for the cashier to prepare the terminal to accept payment, in the same way you can't swipe a card early at some places.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

You may need to wait for the cashier to prepare the terminal to accept payment, in the same way you can't swipe a card early at some places.

I totally agree.

In my opinion the easiest place to practice using Google Wallet is McDonald's. As soon as the order is complete just hold your phone to the card reader and wait a few seconds. You'll hear a confirmation tone from the McDonald's cash register the transaction will be completed.

At other retailers, like Home Depot, the cashier has to hit the "credit" key on their terminal to complete the sale. At one point Home Depot was as easy to use Google Wallet as McDonald's but they changed their system and added an additional step.

Posted via Android Central App

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

I totally agree.

In my opinion the easiest place to practice using Google Wallet is McDonald's. As soon as the order is complete just hold your phone to the card reader and wait a few seconds. You'll hear a confirmation tone from the McDonald's cash register the transaction will be completed.

At other retailers, like Home Depot, the cashier has to hit the "credit" key on their terminal to complete the sale. At one point Home Depot was as easy to use Google Wallet as McDonald's but they changed their system and added an additional step.

Posted via Android Central App
Chuckled when I saw this - used mine @ Whataburger just a while ago. Just bump & go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463