11-03-2015 07:05 PM
679 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    FYI, I stumbled across a red Diztronic for the BN Turbo over on Amazon. I was surprised,as my understanding is they usually match their case colors to the phones and there isn't a red BN.

I'm happy, because I'd been looking for a slim red case for the BN version.
    01-13-2015 06:12 AM
    I have the Diztronic and for the most part love it. My only problem (albeit very minor) is that it covers the ballistic nylon which I think looks great.
    I just ordered this clear case: Amazon.com: MoKo Motorola Droid Turbo Case - [Scratch Resistant] [AIR CUSHION] Halo Series Hybrid Cover with TPU Air Cushion Technology Corners + Clear Back Panel Bumper Case for Motorola DROID TURBO in Ballistic Nylon 5.2 inch Android Smartphone, Cr
    For 1/2 off with this code: MKK4XZ42
    For $8 seems like it's worth it to test out.
    LinuxWeather likes this.
    01-14-2015 10:19 AM
    Seems like a lot of folks like the clear cases so you can see through to the phone. I don't like them at all, personally. I just don't think seeing the BN underneath necessarily makes it nice, if that makes sense. If I'm going to use a case, I want it to look good on its own. Variety makes the world go 'round.

At this point, I'm actually happier with the overall options in cases available for the Turbo than I was with its Verizon exclusive predecessor Droid Maxx. I thought the options for my Maxx were pretty slim.
    01-14-2015 11:11 AM
    I just got the Tudia Slim-Fit CYGEN in gunmetal. So far I really like it; seems sturdy without adding too much bulk, and looks great. I also have the Diztronic tpu which I really like but wanted more protection, especially at work. I plan on switching between the two from time to time. I might eventually try the Incipio Dual Pro but for now I'm happy with these two.
    01-15-2015 02:44 PM
    I'm trying the Cimo Wave TPU. So far I like it. Good fit and good feel. I'm using a Commuter during the week when I'm at work (for added protection) and wear a belt holster for that. On weekends I'm switching to the Cimo so I can ditch the belt holster and carry in my pockets.

DROID TURBO: Cases-81aoumfsafl._sx425_.jpg
    jcochran1977 likes this.
    01-15-2015 04:29 PM
    I've been using an Otterbox defender at work. Just got a casemate clear, and love it. Minimalist, really shows off the red back on my Turbo. Beautiful case.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-15-2015 09:23 PM
    For those of you who are not minimalist Seidio just responded to my email
    The SURFACE is only compatible with the Kevlar version of the Motorola Droid Turbo. The DILEX Pro is compatible with both versions of the device. You may view the DILEX Pro with Metal Kickstand Combo here:http://www.seidioonline.com/motorola...t2mtdtk-bk.htm

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    01-19-2015 02:04 PM
    I really hate making my 64GB Ballistic Nylon thicker but I prefer a holster and a case

Sent using my Verizon Turbo charged 64GB Ballistic Nylon phone unfortunately with a case on back
    01-19-2015 02:06 PM
    I had that case.. and the buttons broke off after like a week...
    01-20-2015 04:41 AM
    I'm trying the Cimo Wave TPU. So far I like it. Good fit and good feel. I'm using a Commuter during the week when I'm at work (for added protection) and wear a belt holster for that. On weekends I'm switching to the Cimo so I can ditch the belt holster and carry in my pockets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81AOUmfSAFL._SX425_.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	159376
    Got one of these, it has less front cover than Naked Tough case, but I wish the buttons were a bit more tactile otherwise it feels great and is my daily use case now

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-23-2015 06:57 AM
    I think I finally found a winner for my BN: the Beyond Cell Tri Shield (Rugged version), which arrived today after being released last week. I've also recently tried the Diztronic and Tudia Slim-Fit Cygen cases, but they were a bit too slippery in my hand for my tastes. The Diztronic is arguably the best slim case for the BN, but it's not quite enough protection for me. The Tudia Cygen was very slippery and the buttons were way more difficult to press; though, it does have a nice dimple/indentation on the back for your finger, a la the Moto X.

I've ideally wanted a dual-material/layer case with port covers, which is especially hard to come by for the BN. I'd been waiting on the Trident Aegis, which recently came out but a rep said that it was designed for and tested on the MGF version only and likely would not fit the BN. The Otterboxes also have port covers but are too slippery for me and the Defender is too bulky.

The Tri Shield seems to have a little more bulk than the Commuter but less than the Defender, in my estimation - to me, the added bulk isn't too bad, especially considering what you get. It combines the best features of the Otterboxes and Seidios. The build quality seems similar to that of a previous Otterbox Commuter and Trident Aegis that I had for previous phones. It fits the BN and is a good deal at $15.99 shipped. Btw, a rep told me that they're going to release a version with a holster soon for only $5 more, if anyone's interested. I just wrote a detailed Amazon review for it, but here's the main features:

- Inner silicone layer and outer polycarbonate shell (made of a front and a back section that snap together)
    - Corner bumpers
    - Port covers
    - Built-in magnetic kickstand - only works in landscape with the button side facing up
    - Left and right sides (in portrait mode) have silicone ridges to help with grip
    - Slides in and out of pockets pretty easily, and doesn't seem to snag or attract lint
    - Good camera, led, and microphone cutouts
    - Also comes with a screen protector, cleaning cloth, and card to smooth out bubbles (haven't used it since I already have a screen protector on)

A few other observations: I find that the buttons are much nicer and easier to press than on the Diztronic or Tudia, but the volume buttons are slightly recessed. The audio port opening is a bit on the smaller side and quite recessed, so a headphone extender may be needed for wider cables/connectors. The case goes on easy but is a biatch-and-a-half to take off - there's a small slot on the left side (looking at it in portrait mode) where you can pry the top/front section off with a screwdriver, key, etc. Finally, it's a bit odd that the speaker is partially covered by the silicone and the polycarbonate layers, though each has holes (unlike the Lifeproof case!). I tested it with several mp3s and honestly couldn't tell a difference - though I'm not an audiophile.

(EDIT) This case didn't work with my Tylt Vu, which is now going to a family member. I'm keeping the case since I think it's that good, as well as because the Vu had been heating up the battery more than I was comfortable with when I was using the Tudia Cygen (high 90s, over 10 degrees more than with no case - not a huge deal, but I'd prefer to avoid those temps every time I charge). See next post for more on metal + Qi charging.
    (EDIT 2) Note that I ruled out case thickness being the culprit, because others have mentioned how the Vu works with the Otterboxes, and as I mentioned above the Tri Shield is approximately in-between the thickness of those two cases.

Here's the Amazon page for the one I bought (though there's many other ones with different colors and designs), followed by a link to a description of the general Tri Shield case design on Beyond Cell's website:

Amazon.com: Beyond Cell ®Tri Shield® For Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 (Verizon,International,Unlock)[Dirtproof] High Impact Hybrid Hard + Soft Anti-Shock Pads Rugged Durable Protection with 2 Layer Protection & built in kickstand Protective Phone Ca

BEYOND CELL Wholesale Cell Phone Accessories.

I took a bunch of pics with my only available (not-so-great Razr Maxx HD) camera, but none turned out nearly as well as the stock pics at the links above, but here's one with the kickstand in action:
    Attached Thumbnails DROID TURBO: Cases-kickstand.jpg  
    rxgadget and KPMcClave like this.
    01-27-2015 10:03 PM
    A word of caution: Qi charging DOES NOT WORK with any case that contains metal that comes in-between the charger and the battery (more specifically, the Qi charging pad). This includes cases with built-in metal kickstands, and it's also a big reason why phones with an aluminum chassis like the HTC One M8 and iphones don't come with built-in wireless charging.

I just found this out when I tried to use my Tylt Vu for the first time with the Tri Shield case, which has a metal kickstand (see my previous post). The charger was recognized for a couple of seconds, then disconnect; not long enough where any significant charging would occur. The same process would then start again, rinse and repeat. Hmm, ok, time to do research... As it turns out, metal interferes with the magnetic field that is produced by inductive charging. I hadn't considered that before but should've figured.

Btw, out of curiosity to see what they'd say, I called Seidio since they make arguably the most popular metal kickstand cases, and the rep immediately told me straight up that their cases with kickstands do not work with wireless chargers because of the metal.

EDIT: This is not 100% true across the board with every kickstand case; see cbironman24's post below. Some cases have kickstands that are not positioned directly in-between the charger's coils and the phone's Qi pad. And, different Qi charging stands may not have their coils positioned in the exact same locations. Perhaps this could be where a flat Qi charging pad could be an advantage because even though the actual charging area on the pad itself is smaller than on a stand, you can move the phone around in a much wider array of charging positions, in terms of angles.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 11:51 AM
    A word of caution: Qi charging DOES NOT WORK with any case that contains metal that comes in-between the charger and the battery (more specifically, the Qi charging pad). This includes cases with built-in metal kickstands, and it's also a big reason why phones with an aluminum chassis like the HTC One M8 and iphones don't come with built-in wireless charging.

I just found this out when I tried to use my Tylt Vu for the first time with the Tri Shield case, which has a metal kickstand (see my previous post). The charger was recognized for a couple of seconds, then disconnect; not long enough where any significant charging would occur. The same process would then start again, rinse and repeat. Hmm, ok, time to do research... As it turns out, metal interferes with the magnetic field that is produced by inductive charging. I hadn't considered that before but should've figured.

Btw, out of curiosity to see what they'd say, I called Seidio since they make arguably the most popular metal kickstand cases, and the rep immediately told me straight up that their cases with kickstands do not work with wireless chargers because of the metal.
    I have a Seidio case with kick stand on my Turbo and It charges great on my Verizon upright Qi charger. The metal kick stand does get warm but actually the phone temp stays in the mid 90's while charging. Its almost like the kick stand works as a heat sink and pulls some heat away from the phone. (The phone alone without the case while on the Qi charger I was seeing temps around 101 to 104)
    01-28-2015 01:16 PM
    I have a Seidio case with kick stand on my Turbo and It charges great on my Verizon upright Qi charger. The metal kick stand does get warm but actually the phone temp stays in the mid 90's while charging. Its almost like the kick stand works as a heat sink and pulls some heat away from the phone. (The phone alone without the case while on the Qi charger I was seeing temps around 101 to 104)
    Thanks for the input, and good to know - I'm adding an edit to my post above to reflect that. My guess would be that perhaps the kickstand on your case doesn't directly impede the inductive charging as much as on my case. I did notice that the Seidio kickstands seem to be located slightly lower on the back of the phone than on mine - that is, likely towards the bottom end of where the Droid Turbo's Qi pad is inside so it isn't directly blocking as much of the charging area. Also, I'm wondering if perhaps the coils on the Verizon charger are located a bit higher on the stand relative to those on the Tylt Vu, thus more likely avoiding the metal?

That seems to be the most logical explanation, because from reading the science of it, if directly in-between the coil(s) and the Qi pad, charging is interfered with enough to be blocked.
    01-28-2015 02:20 PM
    Thanks for the input, and good to know - I'm adding an edit to my post above to reflect that. My guess would be that perhaps the kickstand on your case doesn't directly impede the inductive charging as much as on my case. I did notice that the Seidio kickstands seem to be located slightly lower on the back of the phone than on mine - that is, likely towards the bottom end of where the Droid Turbo's Qi pad is inside so it isn't directly blocking as much of the charging area. Also, I'm wondering if perhaps the coils on the Verizon charger are located a bit higher on the stand relative to those on the Tylt Vu, thus more likely avoiding the metal?

That seems to be the most logical explanation, because from reading the science of it, if directly in-between the coil(s) and the Qi pad, charging is interfered with enough to be blocked.
    I think your right about the placement off the kick stand. Mine does seem lower then the one you have from what I can see in your picture. The higher kick stand must get in the way of the
    phones Qi pad.
    01-28-2015 03:19 PM
    I also have the Seidio Surface case on my Turbo and it charges fine on my Nokia Qi charger. I also have noticed that the temperature is lower than what it was on my Droid DNA. I had the Surface case on it too (sans kickstand) and I can tell you it used to get well over 100 degrees while charging. Interesting how things work...

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo
    01-29-2015 06:35 AM
    just sent back my tudia dual layer.. its a nice case but the outer cut of the mold is terrible, and it doesnt fit up with its hard plastic backing at all.. IMO it should be smooth in the transition of the two.

I went ahead and ordered the aegis trident even though a user mentioned he was told it might not fit the BN version (which I have). I couldnt find anything on the site mentioning it doesnt fit that version so, I am going to give it a shot. Hopefully it fits worse case scenario is it has to get sent back.
    01-29-2015 07:55 PM
    I went ahead and ordered the aegis trident even though a user mentioned he was told it might not fit the BN version (which I have). I couldnt find anything on the site mentioning it doesnt fit that version so, I am going to give it a shot. Hopefully it fits worse case scenario is it has to get sent back.
    I think you're the only one besides me to even mention the Trident Aegis so far, and then I went ahead and got a different case, ha. Yeah, I had called Trident, who first told me that it wouldn't fit it... I did mention that they should say so in their website description, but then they hedged and said that it probably wouldn't fit because they designed it for the MGF but weren't sure because haven't actually tested it with the BN (and have no plans to make a separate BN case) so it might. I had planned on testing it myself until I discovered the Tri Shield case.

I think there's a decent shot that the Trident will fit the BN because the inner layer has some give, but the question is how snug have they made the outer shell on this one. Philly, I can't wait to hear about your experience with the Trident, hope it fits!
    philly likes this.
    01-29-2015 10:01 PM
    I think you're the only one besides me to even mention the Trident Aegis so far, and then I went ahead and got a different case, ha. Yeah, I had called Trident, who first told me that it wouldn't fit it... I did mention that they should say so in their website description, but then they hedged and said that it probably wouldn't fit because they designed it for the MGF but weren't sure because haven't actually tested it with the BN (and have no plans to make a separate BN case) so it might. I had planned on testing it myself until I discovered the Tri Shield case.

I think there's a decent shot that the Trident will fit the BN because the inner layer has some give, but the question is how snug have they made the outer shell on this one. Philly, I can't wait to hear about your experience with the Trident, hope it fits!
    yea I can't find a review anywhere online.. I'll make sure to post one as soon as it arrives and I get to try it out

edit: feb 2nd I ended up trading in the BN version for the regular. the nylon was becoming frayed pretty badly. so i guess I won't know if this case works with the BN version.
    01-30-2015 04:06 AM
    I've had the Casemate naked the past few months but just picked up a Diztronic and really like it. The fit and feel is great and has better front protection with a slightly higher lip.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    02-03-2015 08:27 AM
    Trident case is great based on initial review. I'll give it a few days before I sign off on it but it seems perfect
    02-03-2015 03:52 PM
    How is the fit with the Ballistic Nylon in the surface?
    02-04-2015 12:01 PM
    How is the fit with the Ballistic Nylon in the surface?
    The BN Turbo is a very tight fit in the Seidio Surface. It will work but it's tight.
    I have switched to the Dilex Pro and it fits the BN Turbo great!
    02-04-2015 12:25 PM
    I think this may have been reported earlier, but I didn’t want to wade through all the responses to find it, so please forgive my possibly redundant report…

I recently received the Seidio spring-clip holster for the Droid Turbo. It is specifically intended for a naked phone and fits my ballistic nylon really well. Up until I received this holster I was living with a nice leather holster originally intended for the Blackberry Z30. It offers great protection, but while I could get my phone into/out-of the Z30 holster, the pull-it-out movement has been quite challenging because of the relatively tight fit. Perhaps if I waited long enough the Z30 holster’s inner material would compress a bit and I’d more easily be able to remove the phone from the holster. However, now that I have an alternative I’m not likely to reach that point.

I’m really pleased with the Seidio holster. The latching mechanism works really well, making it quite simple/easy to insert/remove. I’ll keep the Z30 holster… It could be useful when traveling to places where the easy-to-remove Seidio phone/holster combination makes an attractive target for quick-lift operators
    02-04-2015 03:36 PM
    Trident case is great based on initial review. I'll give it a few days before I sign off on it but it seems perfect
    The trident case isn't super tight on the Kevlar version I'm guessing it fits the BN version without a problem
    02-04-2015 03:42 PM
679 ... 2021222324 ...