DROID TURBO: Cases

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

cbironman24

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm another Ballistic Nylon owner who purchased the Droid Turbo not only for its capabilities, but also for the size and hand feel. Although its clear that utilizing one of the more protective "wrap around" cases would offer greater security against drop-damage, I'm unable to overcome my aversion to significantly altering the BN hand feel... which would result in a situation where I've purchased the case for the feel and placed a phone inside it.

So.... I'm looking for the least intrusive solution. In the past Case-Mate has produced a Hula Bumper case for Motorola phones... where the "case" is nothing more than a wrapper around the outer edge of the phone... protecting the corners in case of a drop, but not protecting the front or back. I thought this would be ideal, but unfortunately Case-Mate isn't producing one for the Droid Turbo and, per a phone conversation I had with a Case-Mate phone rep today, has no plans to produce one.

It might be worthwhile to lobby Case-Mate for such a solution... and obviously, the greater the number of requests, the higher the likelihood they'll change their plans. Still, I don't know enough about the differences in dimensions of the Kevlar and BN versions of the phone to know whether they would find they'd have to develop two solutions. If so, they would have to consider whether there would be enough return-on-investment there... and given they appear to have already chosen NOT to develop a product for either I'd say, sadly, the likelihood of them developing two solutions is slim to none.

NOTE: On another forum someone commented on the possibility of using just the bumper part of the Case-Mate Naked Tough case... but I asked the Case-Mate rep about this and she stated that it wouldn't work. Basically, the two parts (the bumper and the "back plate") work together... and if one tried using just the bumper the phone would just fall out.

I also investigated the Seidio Spring Clip Holster. It's a vertical belt-hung holster that accepts a naked phone. No protection really, but a way to carry a naked phone without stuffing a pocket and risking damage when the phone inevitably falls out. I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but I checked and sure enough, their web site has a marketing spot for the product with some sort of "coming soon" message. Based on this I contacted them via their web site's IM-like capability... In my conversation with them I discovered that the coming holster is expected to support ONLY the Kevlar version, NOT the BN version. Of course, it's possible the BN will fit, but be a very tight fit that could impact the BN material on the back of the phone. Won't know until it's available.

This leaves me with no current options... except to wait or consider buying one of the leather holsters available on eBay, Amazon or at Walmart. Hard to determine whether any of these will really fit the Droid Turbo though because most of the listings don't provide dimensions. On another forum someone suggested one particular leather holster on eBay... found using the following in the search window:
BLACK VERTICAL LEATHER BELT CLIP POUCH HOLSTER CASE FOR MOTOROLA DROID
TURBO

If anyone has any experience with this or any other vertical leather holster with a good fit could you please provide specific info on where it can be found or what you did to make it fit?

Thanks

A-PMPVerXLEM8 Turtleback Vertical Motorola DROID Turbo Black Leather Holster Pouch with Flush Belt Clip - Magnetic Closure - Universal with Magnet

I have the nylon version of this holster and the BN turbo fits just fine in it. This leather one has the same dimensions and is listed for the Turbo.

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Still, I don't know enough about the differences in dimensions of the Kevlar and BN versions of the phone to know whether they would find they'd have to develop two solutions.Thanks

Sorry for the quick aside, but I thought I had read that the BN version had Kevlar underneath? Not meaning to correct you, just curious about my own BN.

At any rate, sounds like I'm going for much thicker cases than you are and without holster, so I won't be much help here. But thanks for your info from researching.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm another Ballistic Nylon owner who purchased the Droid Turbo not only for its capabilities, but also for the size and hand feel. Although its clear that utilizing one of the more protective "wrap around" cases would offer greater security against drop-damage, I'm unable to overcome my aversion to significantly altering the BN hand feel... which would result in a situation where I've purchased the case for the feel and placed a phone inside it.

Go to Ripoffs and look at their stuff. They make the best pouch type belt clip holster there is in many,many sizes. They are used throughout law enforcement and by first responders throughout the US. I have one 15 years old and still going strong. It will not come off the belt and the flap will not open accidentally. Of course once you've taken the phone from the holster you're on your own :) I have been thinking about getting one that will fit the Turbo - it's certain one of the sizes will fit, if a little loosely. But it's not exactly beautiful :)

Just for instance,, I bet this would work with even a cased Turbo in BN;

http://www.amazon.com/Ripoffs-CO-333P-Holster-iPhone-Ballistic/dp/B00OBTZ9QQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418426049&sr=8-5&keywords=ripoffs+holster

Last edited:

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Go to Ripoffs and look at their stuff. They make the best pouch type belt clip holster there is in many,many sizes.

Totally agree...mine is just 1 1/2 years but...it's been soaked by rain, dust...and it does keep the phone (1gen Moto X ) covered and protected even though I've got it in a Otterbox Commuter case. Then whole thing fits inside with room to spare. When I get my Turbo after Xmas, my Ripoff for my X already will fit the Turbo just fine.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I also investigated the Seidio Spring Clip Holster. It's a vertical belt-hung holster that accepts a naked phone. No protection really, but a way to carry a naked phone without stuffing a pocket and risking damage when the phone inevitably falls out. I believe someone mentioned this earlier, but I checked and sure enough, their web site has a marketing spot for the product with some sort of "coming soon" message. Based on this I contacted them via their web site's IM-like capability... In my conversation with them I discovered that the coming holster is expected to support ONLY the Kevlar version, NOT the BN version. Of course, it's possible the BN will fit, but be a very tight fit that could impact the BN material on the back of the phone.

I've mentioned this in a previous post. The LG is just slightly taller and wider than the Turbo. I'm using the G3 Dilex holster with my relatively thick Speck Candyshell case and it's a great fit. If you're willing to invest the potential cost of return shipping I would suggest trying out the regular Seidio G3 Holster.

Rhyno81

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
You've got the ballistic nylon, correct? Please post back about the dimpled inner surface of the back of the inside of the case and whether or not that messes with or otherwise affects the Turbo's nylon backing.

I just got the case today. I'll check the back of the phone later today and report in and then I'll give it a week before another report.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I hope to get a Turbo in a few weeks when I'm eligible to upgrade. For the extra $50 I would like to get the 64gb, but the lack of cases for the BN model is a concern I have. The Incipio looks like a good case so I'm very interested in how it works.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope to get a Turbo in a few weeks when I'm eligible to upgrade. For the extra $50 I would like to get the 64gb, but the lack of cases for the BN model is a concern I have. The Incipio looks like a good case so I'm very interested in how it works.
The Incipio Dual Pro is an excellent case. I'm typing this on a BN Turbo in a Dual Pro. I also have the Otterbox Commuter, but I like that a little less. The plastic shell is much slicker.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
For the extra $50 I would like to get the 64gb, but the lack of cases for the BN model is a concern I have.

I know there are many people very happy with the BN, bit between the issue with cases, and Concerns about wear and fraying, I knew that I would be too anal about things to be happy with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

zagato27

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry Z30 Holster, not even kidding, fits like a glove
Robot Check

As I posted earlier, I took a flyer and ordered the Z30 holster recommend by bizzqu. Got it "used" for $15 (list $39.99 and new $22.16) on Amazon but it was new. Just got it today. Nice piece of kit. Fits like a "glove", gosh it's tight. Really tight! Well it's tight if you don't put it in correctly. Did a little bit of snooping and found that bizzyqu posted some more info on another thread. Turns out you need to put the Turbo's face facing "in" and it just glides right in. Magnetic flap, nice. Really great quality, leather and it has a ratcheting belt clip so you can wear it vertical or horizontal. So, great fit, great quality, versatility, price, great protection too. Only downside and its minor...."Blackberry" stamped on the side but you don't really notice it. If you're looking for a holster, give this a try.

BIG THANKYOU to bizzyqu!!!!!!!

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I received a new case for my Red Droid Turbo.. It's a Cruzerlite Droid bug circuit TPU case. Pretty cool looking. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to post a link of a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
After my Lifeproof fail, I've wanted something light (but not cheap quality) to tide me over until I likely go with the Trident Aegis, which is supposed to be available in Jan. I tried Empire Case's Mpero Flex S for my Ballistic Nylon version, but it's not a good fit. There is nothing on the item pages about BN fit, but I had called them up and they said it "should fit". Not quite. Item pages:

http://www.amazon.com/MPERO-Series-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4123360

Motorola DROID TURBO Skin Cases, FLEX S™ | EmpireCase.com

The sides come up a little short so that the lip can't reach the top of the edge. This makes the side buttons more difficult to press than intended. Also, on my BN, the camera and 3.5mm cutouts are a bit off-center - passable but not great. Tpu material seems decent, and it's actually two-toned - most of the back is matte, but some is slick/shiny. The sides do have a grooved texture for grip. EDIT: This case seems like it could fit nicely for the non-BN's, but I'm not certain.

I'm now thinking about either the Tudia (BN version preordering now), Diztronic (BN version supposedly out soon), or the Aero Armor (some colors in stock now) that PowrDroid mentioned on the previous page. Can't decide, and I have no experience with previous cases from them. Anyone have a suggestion or feedback between these three? Thanks in advance!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the Tudia Ballistic Nylon and I'll probably order a Diztronic when available. Can't wait for a thin tpu again.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

RJ_Butler

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the Kevlar turbo. I put an Otterbox Commuter on it, but it was slippery as ****. My solution was to spray some flex seal crap on it. It worked... Sort of. It smells like ***, and gets sticky when I charge it due to the phone heating up. Other than that, it works great

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As I posted earlier, I took a flyer and ordered the Z30 holster recommend by bizzqu. Got it "used" for $15 (list $39.99 and new $22.16) on Amazon but it was new. Just got it today. Nice piece of kit. Fits like a "glove", gosh it's tight. Really tight! Well it's tight if you don't put it in correctly. Did a little bit of snooping and found that bizzyqu posted some more info on another thread. Turns out you need to put the Turbo's face facing "in" and it just glides right in. Magnetic flap, nice. Really great quality, leather and it has a ratcheting belt clip so you can wear it vertical or horizontal. So, great fit, great quality, versatility, price, great protection too. Only downside and its minor...."Blackberry" stamped on the side but you don't really notice it. If you're looking for a holster, give this a try.

BIG THANKYOU to bizzyqu!!!!!!!

Glad you like it :D

HappyFunBall24

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Seidio has a product page up for the Droid Turbo. There is no ETA and no pictures - it says "under development". You can't preorder, but prices are listed:

SEIDIO | Motorola Droid Turbo Accessories

Never used one, but I've always known them as having a pretty good reputation for cases with kickstands and holsters.

EDIT: Seidio rep gave a rough estimate of availability to be 3-4 weeks from now.

Last edited:

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Seidio has a product page up for the Droid Turbo. There is no ETA and no pictures - it says "under development". You can't preorder, but prices are listed:

SEIDIO | Motorola Droid Turbo Accessories

You'll like it. The Surface case has a hard to explain smooth yet grip texture to it. Very stable in your hands. And the clip holster is the best if you take it your phone out often.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax