Using the Droid Turbo as an Alarm Clock...Hardware/Software suggestions

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I am looking for suggestions on the best way to use the Droid Turbo as an Alarm Clock.

Hardware/Software suggestions appreciated

Any cool setups or suggestions? Please post photos and ideas.

Is there a good Bluetooth speaker with Qi Charging and NFC capabilities?

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I use mine. I downloaded Zedge for ringtones and I have one that will wake u up w a small heart attack.

Stock alarm clock works fine I have never needed an extra app for it

Search wake up alarm clock on zedge.. It works for me

Posted via the Android Central App

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I have my Note 3 on a desktop stand. Its a universal stand made by Spigen which can be ordered by Amazon. My Moto 360, when put in the charging unit turns into a nice horizontal clock. I use the Timely app for my alarm clock. It has some real cool functions like a gradual alarm clock.

Bamzilla

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing the same thing I did with my Galaxy Nexus: stock alarm with the neon tone. So much nicer to wake up to than my old click radio beeping loudly. The app timely is nice as well. Google bought the company for its talent I believe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ancientdroid

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
My favorite alarm app which I have used for years is Gentle Alarm. It has never failed and has numerous options. It is in desperate need of a UI refresh though. It hasn't been updated in a while though which has me concerned. Timely is nice has well though it doesn't have some features like quick alarm which I like on Gentle Alarm.

Using either with something like a Vu Tylt wireless charger is the perfect combination for a bedside alarm clock.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw, if the turbo is like last year's droids, there is also the daydream mode if you want the phone to actually display the time while charging. Settings, display, daydream. There is an option on the bottom, when to start, and you can change that to be while charging. This starts a display when the display would normally time out and shut off. There should be a list of several apps that can be used, though I've found that all but droid dream keep the capacitive buttons lit on the droid maxx.

I personally wouldn't use this because I'd be worried about wearing out the amoled display, but some people like it.

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, if the turbo is like last year's droids, there is also the daydream mode if you want the phone to actually display the time while charging. Settings, display, daydream. There is an option on the bottom, when to start, and you can change that to be while charging. This starts a display when the display would normally time out and shut off. There should be a list of several apps that can be used, though I've found that all but droid dream keep the capacitive buttons lit on the droid maxx.

I personally wouldn't use this because I'd be worried about wearing out the amoled display, but some people like it.

Thanks. This looks like a good option. Is there actually a risk of burn in or wearing out the screen? The capacitive buttons appear to be off in that mode. The MDT also seems to have a sleep mode that is set from 11pn-6am as default. Is this a Moto or Android Feature?

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So the alarm clock I use is Clock JB+ and here is why. It is similar to the stock clock app (jelly bean style) but color customizable. You can also set it to open up with the alarm screen. The most important thing to me though is the capacitive buttons stop glowing unlike with other alarm apps I have tried. Wish the stock app would offer these options.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. This looks like a good option. Is there actually a risk of burn in or wearing out the screen? The capacitive buttons appear to be off in that mode. The MDT also seems to have a sleep mode that is set from 11pn-6am as default. Is this a Moto or Android Feature?

That's moto. I think you're describing moto display, which flashes unread notifications on the display when it's off. That can be set not to show while you're sleeping for a time period you choose, yes. Also the assist app can turn off sounds at night.

I've read reports of amoled burn in before. There are actually apps that are supposed to reverse it. Screen Diagnostic is one. I tested my year old Droid Maxx with it a few weeks ago - it had no burn in.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.bengigi.screen.diagnostic&token=XiODHEKd

So, you could try out daydream for a few weeks and then use that app to look for burn in.