03-14-2016 10:11 AM
83 1234
tools
    Ha, cat dander probably. I put the phone in its case almost immediately after unboxing, with just a superficial inspection, so was interested when the OP posted. Luckily, the only place the BN shows is around the camera and LED's, so was easy to inspect. Overall, looks like a pretty robust build quality. I didn't note the 'crunch' of the BN like some other posters experienced. So far, no complaints.
    11-02-2014 07:41 PM
    This is why I got the Metallic Black instead of the Ballistic Nylon. I was afraid this was going to happen with the nylon.
    11-02-2014 08:13 PM
    FWIW, the BN display model at my VZW store did not have this problem and I assume it's been handled quite a bit.
    11-02-2014 09:20 PM
    I assume it's been handled quite a bit.
    That's what she said.

Seriously though, I don't have this crunching (or fraying) on my 64GB. Either way I really don't think it poses a structural problem. Maybe just a bit annoying.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-02-2014 09:31 PM
    This is why I got the Metallic Black instead of the Ballistic Nylon. I was afraid this was going to happen with the nylon.
    Me too, but I had to get the BN. Too unique to pass on. Thankfully, no loose threads or crunch.
    11-02-2014 09:50 PM
    Me too, but I had to get the BN. Too unique to pass on. Thankfully, no loose threads or crunch.
    This loose thread kinda sounds like a crunchy cereal commercial no?

Masheen likes this.
    11-02-2014 09:54 PM
    I'm worried about the edges lifting too. No crunching here though so far so good.
    11-02-2014 11:03 PM
    It's the thread that goes... CRUNCH!

11-02-2014 11:06 PM
    I was just in the Verizon store speaking to the manager about the Nylon issue and being on Verizon Edge without a case. He told me that very same thing about the threads and fraying. Suggested I put in a case. Why would I buy a device that I really dig the back to just cover it up.
    Masheen likes this.
    11-03-2014 07:57 AM
    I was just in the Verizon store speaking to the manager about the Nylon issue and being on Verizon Edge without a case. He told me that very same thing about the threads and fraying. Suggested I put in a case. Why would I buy a device that I really dig the back to just cover it up.
    I'm not putting mine in a case just to protect bulletproof threads. They can protect themselves.

Masheen and tech_fan like this.
    11-03-2014 08:34 AM
    The BN is super cool, but I passed on it because I was concerned of the long term issues
    11-03-2014 08:56 AM
    I am getting worried about BN, may have to pass on that.
    11-03-2014 11:31 AM
    Bah this is driving me nuts. If I call Verizon or go to the store, what will they do? I returned a Note 4 for this device, so I assume they won't send me a new device. I literally got this yesterday. I hate the glue noise...other than that it's a very solid phone. Great build quality.
    11-03-2014 12:04 PM
    Bah this is driving me nuts. If I call Verizon or go to the store, what will they do? I returned a Note 4 for this device, so I assume they won't send me a new device. I literally got this yesterday. I hate the glue noise...other than that it's a very solid phone. Great build quality.
    I took mine to a corporate store and they exchanged it for a new one. It is a bit annoying...and should never happen with a device like this, IMO. The new one is tight and quiet. Hopefully you will have the same luck. Godspeed!
    Danny1Bears3 likes this.
    11-03-2014 12:36 PM
    On the back of the phone just to the right of the right LED flash the material appears to have a bubble in it. This is the second time this has occurred, the first one was separating from the seam along the same line.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2014 12:53 PM
    I took mine to a corporate store and they exchanged it for a new one. It is a bit annoying...and should never happen with a device like this, IMO. The new one is tight and quiet. Hopefully you will have the same luck. Godspeed!
    Thank you! I'll keep this in mind. To anyone else with this issue, I heated up the back of the phone with a blow drier on the highest heat. I did it with the phone turned OFF and for about a minute or so...so far so good.

Basically, the glue noise is caused by the wireless charging pad (which has a thin coat of mobile phone glue -- double-sides 3M stuff) not sticking to the battery nicely. If this is heated up, the adhesive is "activated" resulting in more stickiness. When I fix iPad screens, I heat the edges up to make them stick. It seems to have done the trick.

No glue noise...if it comes back I'll certainly take it to Verizon to see what they'll do.

Now it's time to stop obsessing over this beautiful device and get back to writing my hashtable program lol
    Masheen, PeninaD and datagrrl like this.
    11-03-2014 01:02 PM
    On the back of the phone just to the right of the right LED flash the material appears to have a bubble in it. This is the second time this has occurred, the first one was separating from the seam along the same line.

Both models I had and the store model has this. Haven't had any seperation issues though.
    11-03-2014 01:26 PM
    The same issue was with all Black Woven Moto X 2013. That's just the way they put the material on top - soft material that sits on something uneven (like Moto's back with battery) has to move in and out a bit. The plastic back plate was perfectly tight.

on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    Deron Baker likes this.
    11-03-2014 01:43 PM

do you have a picture so i can get an idea of what it looks like?
    11-03-2014 02:19 PM
    Here's a couple I took with my Z3V. I don't know if you can really tell but the area I'm pointing at is raised and on the side it is beginning to separate.

Attached Thumbnails Droid Turbo: Ballistic Nylon Crunching Sound?-6478.jpg   Droid Turbo: Ballistic Nylon Crunching Sound?-6479.jpg  
    11-03-2014 02:49 PM
    Was at a different VZW store today and the BN was definitely crunching on the display model. Also, too, Launcher 3 crashed while I was using another Turbo.
    11-03-2014 05:47 PM
    Admin note: merged multiple threads on the same topic.
    PeninaD likes this.
    11-03-2014 05:56 PM
    The BN is super cool, but I passed on it because I was concerned of the long term issues
    I'm lucky if I make it 6 months with the same device.
    11-03-2014 06:08 PM
    It doesn't happen with all BN phones. Mine is in perfect condition. I would consider this a semi-rare manufacturing defect. Verizon should replace. I don't think that fraying is a condition that will happen over time unless the phone was pre-disposed by coming out-the-box that way.
    11-03-2014 06:34 PM
    It doesn't happen with all BN phones. Mine is in perfect condition. I would consider this a semi-rare manufacturing defect. Verizon should replace. I don't think that fraying is a condition that will happen over time unless the phone was pre-disposed by coming out-the-box that way.
    Squeeze all around the back of your phone. Press decently forcefully. Are you sure you don't have this issue? Should I bring my phone back?

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo
    11-03-2014 08:15 PM
83 1234