03-14-2016 11:11 AM
83 1234
tools
    Squeeze all around the back of your phone. Press decently forcefully. Are you sure you don't have this issue? Should I bring my phone back?

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo
    I've done it and no sound at all.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo
    11-03-2014 10:46 PM
    It doesn't happen with all BN phones. Mine is in perfect condition. I would consider this a semi-rare manufacturing defect. Verizon should replace. I don't think that fraying is a condition that will happen over time unless the phone was pre-disposed by coming out-the-box that way.
    I agree. My 64GB BN has been perfect out of the box. No crunching, creaking, bubbling, fraying, peeling, oozing or bleeding.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-03-2014 11:06 PM
    Same here. No sounds at all. I would take it back and get a new one.
    11-03-2014 11:12 PM
    I returned a Note 4 before this...will they still give me a new one? It hasn't been 14 days yet...I heard you only get 1 exchange
    11-03-2014 11:24 PM
    I returned a Note 4 before this...will they still give me a new one? It hasn't been 14 days yet...I heard you only get 1 exchange
    You get 1 device exchange to another. I.E. Note 4 to Droid Turbo. You can still get a replacement if its defective but you won't be able to get a Note 4 again.

11-03-2014 11:32 PM
    You get 1 device exchange to another. I.E. Note 4 to Droid Turbo. You can still get a replacement if its defective but you won't be able to get a Note 4 again.

Awesome. Thank you. I'll be sure to swing by VZW tomorrow and see what they'll do. If this isn't as common as I think it is, I want a normal one lol

11-03-2014 11:46 PM
    Went to Verizon. The two phones the guy brought out had this noise worse than mine did. I just bought a hardshell case instead...

11-04-2014 03:27 PM
    Went to Verizon. The two phones the guy brought out had this noise worse than mine did. I just bought a hardshell case instead...

We'll all pretend you have a normal one. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    PeninaD and datagrrl like this.
    11-04-2014 04:02 PM
    Mines starting to crunch slightly.

No biggie. It takes pressure to do it anyways

Edit - phone heated up and its gone. Still better than my S5 was.

Edit 2- its back lol.

PeninaD likes this.
    11-05-2014 01:56 AM
    That is my video. I took the phone back to the verizon store i bought it from and the salesman, who was extremely rude, said it was normal and was happening on all the droid turbos they had. so i called motorola directly and they are working on an exchange for me. the rep from motorola was very concerned when i explained the issue and said that it was not normal after i shared the video with her, and said she is working with upper management to get me a new phone. so it does appear to be a defect in their eyes.
    11-05-2014 09:29 PM
    That is my video. I took the phone back to the verizon store i bought it from and the salesman, who was extremely rude, said it was normal and was happening on all the droid turbos they had. so i called motorola directly and they are working on an exchange for me. the rep from motorola was very concerned when i explained the issue and said that it was not normal after i shared the video with her, and said she is working with upper management to get me a new phone. so it does appear to be a defect in their eyes.
    Motorola will always follow that route even if its normal. It saves them face.

11-05-2014 09:39 PM
    Yeah guys I have this same problem and all the ballistic nylon turbos I looked st had it. I have a feeling that everyone who days they don't have it aren't looking hard enough. It does seem to be a harmless (but annoying design flaw). For me, putting a hardshell case is a perfectly fine solution.

11-05-2014 10:02 PM
    Yeah guys I have this same problem and all the ballistic nylon turbos I looked st had it. I have a feeling that everyone who days they don't have it aren't looking hard enough. It does seem to be a harmless (but annoying design flaw). For me, putting a hardshell case is a perfectly fine solution.

Those that don't hear it yet may not. Mine didn't do it until last night but eventually I think all of them will do it. Its glue holding it and the sudden heat to cool from battery will loosen it. Disappointing since I want the Turbo to have the build of the RAZR HD but it doesn't. With that said, its still built better than the Droid Maxx and its creaky gaps.

11-05-2014 10:05 PM
    Those that don't hear it yet may not. Mine didn't do it until last night but eventually I think all of them will do it. Its glue holding it and the sudden heat to cool from battery will loosen it. Disappointing since I want the Turbo to have the build of the RAZR HD but it doesn't. With that said, its still built better than the Droid Maxx and its creaky gaps.

I agree. Although this phone is the most solid phone I've ever owned, besides the crunchy back. The screen doesn't move, the frame is tight, it doesn't creak...its great.

11-05-2014 10:12 PM
    I agree. Although this phone is the most solid phone I've ever owned, besides the crunchy back. The screen doesn't move, the frame is tight, it doesn't creak...its great.

No doubt, its very solid. The RAZR HD didn't have any creaking, crunching, whatever. Silent under the most pressure. Still love the Turbo.

11-05-2014 10:14 PM
    went to buy turbo today, decided I would check for crunch before i bought, and it had it. Had them give me another one the second has a tiny spot where there is crunch but nothing like the other one.
    11-05-2014 11:00 PM
    Regarding the crunching sound, perhaps this look at the inside can shed some light. Given the amount of time the tech took to release the back and the wireless charging pad, it appears there's a fair amount of adhesive involved. Variations in QC in that area could be the culprit. Also, it seemed like the back was fairly rigid and the material on the inside, though woven, looked to be different. Perhaps that's the Kevlar stuff they've been talking about, IDK.

<Edited to remove video link as it is already provided upthread>

I checked mine out when I received it and it didn't crunch and I immediately put it in a case so probably won't know the end result until removing it years from now.
    11-05-2014 11:18 PM
    Just checked mine again and nothing. Wondering if I should exchange it for the glass fiber one. Thoughts ?
    11-05-2014 11:33 PM
    Nah. A crunch noise caused by adhesive which can be bandaided with a case isn't worth the uglier and less storage spaced regular droid turbo

Deron Baker and Eclipse2K like this.
    11-05-2014 11:54 PM
    No crunch here, but we just got back from the VZW store getting our two 64GB models, after which I spent a couple hours showing my wife's parents some of the basics of the new smartphones they got, and finally get to play/setup my phone. And its going back. Wife's is fine, but mine is already coming unfrayed on one side near the top. Understand that after a year of use that might occur, but on a brand new phone? No.
    11-06-2014 12:20 AM
    Just checked mine again and nothing. Wondering if I should exchange it for the glass fiber one. Thoughts ?
    The Glass Fiber units do the same thing. I messed with the demo unit and it was showing the crunch when the Ballistic Nylon wasn't. Although now I know both do it.

areyes163 likes this.
    11-06-2014 01:17 AM
    Thank you! I'll keep this in mind. To anyone else with this issue, I heated up the back of the phone with a blow drier on the highest heat. I did it with the phone turned OFF and for about a minute or so...so far so good.

Basically, the glue noise is caused by the wireless charging pad (which has a thin coat of mobile phone glue -- double-sides 3M stuff) not sticking to the battery nicely. If this is heated up, the adhesive is "activated" resulting in more stickiness. When I fix iPad screens, I heat the edges up to make them stick. It seems to have done the trick.

No glue noise...if it comes back I'll certainly take it to Verizon to see what they'll do.

Now it's time to stop obsessing over this beautiful device and get back to writing my hashtable program lol
    Mine just started to crunch slightly. Had the phone for one week. This happened with my Maxx, but more noticeable and squeaky. I'm going to take a page out of your book, and try the blow dryer technique.
    11-06-2014 12:40 PM
    On the back of the phone just to the right of the right LED flash the material appears to have a bubble in it. This is the second time this has occurred, the first one was separating from the seam along the same line.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Mine has a bubble there too, close to the edge
    11-06-2014 04:14 PM

There seems to be plenty of us with this issue. Our Droid Turbos (Ballistic Nylon 64GB) make a crunch (pop, snap, click, any other sort of adjective to describe the noise caused by adhesive not sticking well) noise when the back nylon is rubbed or pressed. It will do this in different areas on different phones.

It is suspected that the wireless charging foil doesn't adhere well to the metal back underneath it, which causes an adhesive noise in different areas for people.

I know my phone does this over to the lower right of the Motorola logo. All I have to do is lightly run my thumb across this area and the noise can be heard. Others also have this issue.

I have contacted Motorola about the normality of this issue. I will hear back from them on Monday (if not, I'm going to call again).

So, the question remains...WHO ELSE has this issue?
    11-09-2014 10:24 AM
    Well I took it into Verizon, checked about 4 phones, all of them had this issue. Exchanged it for one with less of the issue (ballistic nylon 33gb) and charged it up, pressed down the glue, and for now its okay.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-09-2014 06:06 PM
83 1234