02-20-2015 07:50 PM
70 123
tools
    Plus they gave me $200.00 for my DNA.
    11-03-2014 05:20 PM
    I was at 70 for 4gb and upped it to 10 for $80. With my discount it's about $8 more for more than double the data.
    Me too, yesterday.
    11-03-2014 06:12 PM
    The day I don't need unlimited data I may go with Verizon or AT&T. I would lean towards Verizon for the family -- Since the Naval Base only has service for Sprint / Verizon for my Dad... But the day I don't need unlimited I could see me grabbing my whole family (mom,dad,brother,etc.etc.) onto a big Verizon Family plan with 40 GB or 60 GB shared (if these double data deals are going) -- And we would be perfect .
    11-03-2014 06:28 PM
    I had the unlimited plan plus 2 phones on the "more everything" with 3gb of data. Finally dumped the unlimited and put all 3 phones on the 40gb plan for $150.00 minus my 20% discount. Also put 2 phones on the edge plan and each gets a $25.00 line credit.
    If/when your 3rd phone is paid for or no longer under a 2 year contract, you should get the $25 discount for that one too.

Sent from my Moto X
    11-03-2014 08:17 PM
    I gave up unlimited and added a 3rd line a couple of weeks ago. Signed up for 15 GB for $110 and just switched it for the $100 15 GB plan. I get a 17% employer discount. The extra GB offers and the $25 per line discount means we pay $45 in access fees for 3 phones is what made switching worth while.

The most data we ever used was 17 GB one month when I activated the Hotspot for a vacation trip and had 2 computers accessing it.

Sent from my Moto X
    11-03-2014 08:26 PM
    I went from the 12gb to 15gb for $100. We pay $240 for 2 phones on the edge program (droid turbo and iPhone 6 plus) and 1 iPad mini with data. My state (WA) charges about 21.5% tax on your cell phone bill so our base price of $190 come out to about $240 a month.
    11-03-2014 10:33 PM
    Technically no, as I gave up unlimited for the $80 10 GB plan. Kind of forced to though, as my Droid Razr Maxx was getting bogged down and one of the battery cells went bad (not that missing one cell mattered, as I still could easily get 35+ hours on one charge). The phone still works well, but I was due for a change after having the phone for close to 3 years.

With all that said, it's a two device plan. My wife came over from AT&T. She planned to get an iPhone 6, but after playing with the Turbo in-store and talking to me, she also got the 64gb BN (since the 64gb iPhone is $50 more than the Turbo, that made the decision easier). Anyway, we have a $150 bill credit coming to us due to porting her number over, and we both traded in phones for a $100 credit for the phone purchases each. She turned in her semi-dysfunctional iPhone 4 (another reason for giving up unlimited) and I turned in my original Droid Incredible (which has been sitting in a drawer for the past 3+ years and barely lasts 6 hours on a full charge).

In the end, it's a bit of a wash for what we're paying now vs. what we paid for our unlimited plans, but the bill credit and phone credits put us in the black and we won't come close to the 10gb limit (we each typically use 1.5gb/month). Plus, I figure it is only a matter of time before the grandfathered unlimited plans go bye-bye. Once Sprint folds or changes it's business model, that edict won't be far behind from VZW and AT&T. At some point, there won't be enough unlimited users for the carriers to care about losing them.

But I digress. My wife and I are both very happy with the Turbo so far (she's even willing to admit Android may be a better platform than iOS). Obviously, we still have 12 days to chage our minds, but baring any issues I think we're in it for the long haul.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-04-2014 12:23 AM
    I also moved off unlimited. The 10GB for $80 is a good deal and we use maybe 6GB a month. I used to use a ton because I would download ROMs on LTE and stream podcasts all day. I moved buildings and didn't get a signal at all and changed my behavior to pre-download podcasts and do any heavy downloading at home. Since then I go 2-3GB a month. My wife hits 2-3GB just by surfing Facebook. But otherwise she doesn't do much downloading. Also I hate having to cheat the system to get discounted phones, and buying full price off contract or slightly discounted through swappa was getting expensive. Side story, my wife had a iPhone 3G in ATT for a while. After my iPhone went through the washing machine, I switched to Verizon and she stayed on ATT. Eventually I brought her over to Verizon with the Droid Incredible. She really didn't like that phone, so when the iPhone came to Verizon she wanted that. After about a year she wanted to go back to Android. I have put her with the Galaxy S series since, and she loves them. So anyway she already had an off contract phone and doesn't care about the latest and greatest. I wanted a phone that I could stick with for a while and I am impressed with Morotola and thier support for older phones and the speed of updates. Also Android 5.0 is the big update and the next 1-2 updates will most likely be minor like KK and to some extent JB was. So I figure the Turbo with get 5.0 and 5.1, and by then I will just Edge up for the next round of Android. So we got the 10GB for $80, my Edge phone and discount (since 64GB a +$2 difference) and the $25 discount on her off contract phone. So when she does want a new phone I can just go with Edge for her and it won't be too bad. If you do the math EDGE is really the best deal out there. Paying $200-$300 up front and then still having to pay the subsidy is a ripoff.
    11-04-2014 07:41 AM
    I respectfully disagree. I always buy with subsidy on 2yr contract bc I like VZW and will keep my phone at least that long. Consumer Reports has proved this is a better deal for people like me. Paid $171.0 for the Turbo after trade in credit. Very happy.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-04-2014 07:47 AM
    Well this is my math, maybe I am wrong, lets take the 32GB version as the example, 10GB share plan:

Subsidy 2 yr contract:
    $200 up front, $40 line access fee, 24 months
    $200 + ($40 x 24 ) = $1160 total

EDGE:
    $0 up front, $25 per month for 24 months, $15 access free ($25 EDGE discount)
    $0 + ($25 x 24) + ($15 x 24) = $960

So, to me, it looks like on the subsidy, contract model, Verizon gets to pocket that upfront cost as pure profit.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:09 AM
    Well this is my math, maybe I am wrong, lets take the 32GB version as the example, 10GB share plan:

Subsidy 2 yr contract:

EDGE:

So, to me, it looks like on the subsidy, contract model, Verizon gets to pocket that upfront cost as pure profit.
    I agree with this math. However, in Firedogee's defense(not that he needs it), I'm pretty sure that when the Edge program was first introduced, there was no $15/$25 Edge bill credit either. Then you were still paying the subsidized monthly plan fee whether you were still on contract with a subsidized phone or on the Edge at full price. In that scenario, the numbers did not work, and was the reason why I never went Edge either. I think we can thank Sprint for forcing VZW's hand on that, because they were also doing the $25 bill credit on their phone payment plan.
    11-04-2014 08:57 AM
    I agree with this math. However, in Firedogee's defense(not that he needs it), I'm pretty sure that when the Edge program was first introduced, there was no $15/$25 Edge bill credit either. Then you were still paying the subsidized monthly plan fee whether you were still on contract with a subsidized phone or on the Edge at full price. In that scenario, the numbers did not work, and was the reason why I never went Edge either. I think we can thank Sprint for forcing VZW's hand on that, because they were also doing the $25 bill credit on their phone payment plan.
    Yeah paying the full access fee plus EDGE would have not made sense. But now I am not sure why a subsidized phone with a 2 year contract is worth it anymore?
    11-04-2014 09:05 AM
    That is very true. $40 per line + Edge payment was a pure rip-off. The $25 credit basically replaces a subsidy.

Sent from my Moto X
    11-04-2014 09:19 AM
    Yep they didn't roll out those edge credits until recently. And that is the only reason I went edge is because most of the phones besides I phones and note series are under $30 so I'm basically getting my phone for $5 a month max. My turbo is costing me $3 per month.
    11-04-2014 09:20 AM

Subsidy 2 yr contract:

EDGE:

I have a 4g data plan so my edge discount would be $240 less than you calculated, plus I have a 22% corporate discount on data so I pay about $150/mo for 2 smart phones including taxes and insurance. Because I own my phone as of day 1, I could sell my phone today if I wanted. Can't beat that for reliable coverage of VZW.

And the 64gb Turbo cost me $171.00 including taxes (after trade in). Pretty sure you are paying taxes on the whole financed amount too which ends up being about 2.5x the sales tax I pay on contract with subsidy. That's a lot depending on the state.

11-04-2014 09:56 AM
    I have a 4g data plan so my edge discount would be $240 less than you calculated, plus I have a 22% corporate discount on data so I pay about $150/mo for 2 smart phones including taxes and insurance. Because I own my phone as of day 1, I could sell my phone today if I wanted. Can't beat that for reliable coverage of VZW.

And the 64gb Turbo cost me $171.00 including taxes (after trade in). Pretty sure you are paying taxes on the whole financed amount too which ends up being about 2.5x the sales tax I pay on contract with subsidy. That's a lot depending on the state.

Yes I see your point. On the plans <10GB you don't get the same savings because of the lower discount on the EDGE line access. In that case its basically a wash with the subsidy, like you said, giving you instant ownership of the phone. But I think the point I was trying to make was the EDGE plan is not really that bad and in some cases can actually save some money. I think sometimes people (not you) see $200 up front and no monthly cost as better than a payment plan no realizing the savings on the line access.
    11-04-2014 10:25 AM

Subsidy 2 yr contract:

EDGE:

The Edge plan works for some, but there are some downsides to it as well. Taxes is the first item, as Firedogee said, can eat up any savings with Edge depending on your state. Also, you don't own your phone right away until you pay the full amount. Otherwise, you have to give your phone back to Verizon when you upgrade before paying it off.

Each plan has its benefits, and each carries a negative or two, but it all depends on what you need and your viewpoint of what you are getting.
    11-04-2014 10:31 AM
    Yes I see your point. On the plans <10GB you don't get the same savings because of the lower discount on the EDGE line access. In that case its basically a wash with the subsidy, like you said, giving you instant ownership of the phone. But I think the point I was trying to make was the EDGE plan is not really that bad and in some cases can actually save some money. I think sometimes people (not you) see $200 up front and no monthly cost as better than a payment plan no realizing the savings on the line access.
    Good points, thanks for sharing. I don't like to finance anything. Dave Ramsey disciple.

Littlejoe919 likes this.
    11-04-2014 10:42 AM

Yeah for EDGE you pay taxes up front -- They say $0 down but it is $0 down + taxes as if you bought the phone full price -- Since they're technically selling you the entire phone at full price .. VZW is just financing it for you.
    11-04-2014 11:42 AM
    +1 Until they do I'll stick with my legacy "double-data" 4gb for $30 plan. That plus still having a dumb phone on account for just $9.99/mth keeps me away from More Everything.
    I have the double-data 4GB for $30 too. I just have my one smartphone and that's it. I don't need a whole bunch of lines. I keep hoping they do that double your data thing again, but it doesn't seem likely.
    11-04-2014 12:28 PM
    Yeah for EDGE you pay taxes up front -- They say $0 down but it is $0 down + taxes as if you bought the phone full price -- Since they're technically selling you the entire phone at full price .. VZW is just financing it for you.
    Well, if you live in a sales tax free state like I do......
    11-04-2014 07:28 PM
    You got to skip the activation fee and upgrade charge too?
    11-04-2014 07:42 PM
    You got to skip the activation fee and upgrade charge too?
    Yuppers, this goes for all Turbo purchases at least through the end of the year.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=nnKBnn2h

Robert Jordan1 likes this.
    11-04-2014 08:01 PM
    Yuppers, this goes for all Turbo purchases at least through the end of the year.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=xOG551l2

Very interesting.

" Verizon Edge pricing is also available for DROID Turbo – and from launch through the end of the year, Verizon has a special early upgrade to Edge for anyone who upgraded prior to July 1, 2014 and wants to purchase the smartphone."

My last upgrade was a two year contract in Oct 2013, does this make me eligible? Also, if I do go edge, would I lose my double-data legacy plan - 40G for $30.
    11-04-2014 08:36 PM
    I think the answers are yes and no, but there's lots of fine print with early edge so talk to a VZW employee online or in store.

11-04-2014 11:42 PM
70 123