Anyone take Verizon up on increased data?

rhotondm

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I just checked and I was paying 90 a month for 8gb and switched it to 10gb for 80 a month. Now I get two more gigs for ten less a month.

Sent from my Epic Note 4

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
GTK. I wish they would lower the rates on the 2-4GB plans cuz I'm mostly on Wifi at home and work.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

+1 Until they do I'll stick with my legacy "double-data" 4gb for $30 plan. That plus still having a dumb phone on account for just $9.99/mth keeps me away from More Everything.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, so all the different forums and articles I've read must be wrong? Guess that's possible.

Yep, they must be wrong. I changed mine from 10GB for $100 to 15GB for $100 and my corporate discount is still showing.

rghurtle

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the unlimited plan plus 2 phones on the "more everything" with 3gb of data. Finally dumped the unlimited and put all 3 phones on the 40gb plan for $150.00 minus my 20% discount. Also put 2 phones on the edge plan and each gets a $25.00 line credit.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The day I don't need unlimited data I may go with Verizon or AT&T. I would lean towards Verizon for the family -- Since the Naval Base only has service for Sprint / Verizon for my Dad... But the day I don't need unlimited I could see me grabbing my whole family (mom,dad,brother,etc.etc.) onto a big Verizon Family plan with 40 GB or 60 GB shared (if these double data deals are going) -- And we would be perfect :).

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the unlimited plan plus 2 phones on the "more everything" with 3gb of data. Finally dumped the unlimited and put all 3 phones on the 40gb plan for $150.00 minus my 20% discount. Also put 2 phones on the edge plan and each gets a $25.00 line credit.

If/when your 3rd phone is paid for or no longer under a 2 year contract, you should get the $25 discount for that one too.

Sent from my Moto X

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I gave up unlimited and added a 3rd line a couple of weeks ago. Signed up for 15 GB for $110 and just switched it for the $100 15 GB plan. I get a 17% employer discount. The extra GB offers and the $25 per line discount means we pay $45 in access fees for 3 phones is what made switching worth while.

The most data we ever used was 17 GB one month when I activated the Hotspot for a vacation trip and had 2 computers accessing it.

Sent from my Moto X

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 12gb to 15gb for $100. We pay $240 for 2 phones on the edge program (droid turbo and iPhone 6 plus) and 1 iPad mini with data. My state (WA) charges about 21.5% tax on your cell phone bill so our base price of $190 come out to about $240 a month.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Technically no, as I gave up unlimited for the $80 10 GB plan. Kind of forced to though, as my Droid Razr Maxx was getting bogged down and one of the battery cells went bad (not that missing one cell mattered, as I still could easily get 35+ hours on one charge). The phone still works well, but I was due for a change after having the phone for close to 3 years.

With all that said, it's a two device plan. My wife came over from AT&T. She planned to get an iPhone 6, but after playing with the Turbo in-store and talking to me, she also got the 64gb BN (since the 64gb iPhone is $50 more than the Turbo, that made the decision easier). Anyway, we have a $150 bill credit coming to us due to porting her number over, and we both traded in phones for a $100 credit for the phone purchases each. She turned in her semi-dysfunctional iPhone 4 (another reason for giving up unlimited) and I turned in my original Droid Incredible (which has been sitting in a drawer for the past 3+ years and barely lasts 6 hours on a full charge).

In the end, it's a bit of a wash for what we're paying now vs. what we paid for our unlimited plans, but the bill credit and phone credits put us in the black and we won't come close to the 10gb limit (we each typically use 1.5gb/month). Plus, I figure it is only a matter of time before the grandfathered unlimited plans go bye-bye. Once Sprint folds or changes it's business model, that edict won't be far behind from VZW and AT&T. At some point, there won't be enough unlimited users for the carriers to care about losing them.

But I digress. My wife and I are both very happy with the Turbo so far (she's even willing to admit Android may be a better platform than iOS). Obviously, we still have 12 days to chage our minds, but baring any issues I think we're in it for the long haul.

Character Zero

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I also moved off unlimited. The 10GB for $80 is a good deal and we use maybe 6GB a month. I used to use a ton because I would download ROMs on LTE and stream podcasts all day. I moved buildings and didn't get a signal at all and changed my behavior to pre-download podcasts and do any heavy downloading at home. Since then I go 2-3GB a month. My wife hits 2-3GB just by surfing Facebook. But otherwise she doesn't do much downloading. Also I hate having to cheat the system to get discounted phones, and buying full price off contract or slightly discounted through swappa was getting expensive. Side story, my wife had a iPhone 3G in ATT for a while. After my iPhone went through the washing machine, I switched to Verizon and she stayed on ATT. Eventually I brought her over to Verizon with the Droid Incredible. She really didn't like that phone, so when the iPhone came to Verizon she wanted that. After about a year she wanted to go back to Android. I have put her with the Galaxy S series since, and she loves them. So anyway she already had an off contract phone and doesn't care about the latest and greatest. I wanted a phone that I could stick with for a while and I am impressed with Morotola and thier support for older phones and the speed of updates. Also Android 5.0 is the big update and the next 1-2 updates will most likely be minor like KK and to some extent JB was. So I figure the Turbo with get 5.0 and 5.1, and by then I will just Edge up for the next round of Android. So we got the 10GB for $80, my Edge phone and discount (since 64GB a +$2 difference) and the $25 discount on her off contract phone. So when she does want a new phone I can just go with Edge for her and it won't be too bad. If you do the math EDGE is really the best deal out there. Paying $200-$300 up front and then still having to pay the subsidy is a ripoff.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. I always buy with subsidy on 2yr contract bc I like VZW and will keep my phone at least that long. Consumer Reports has proved this is a better deal for people like me. Paid $171.0 for the Turbo after trade in credit. Very happy.

Character Zero

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Well this is my math, maybe I am wrong, lets take the 32GB version as the example, 10GB share plan:

Subsidy 2 yr contract:
$200 up front, $40 line access fee, 24 months
$200 + ($40 x 24 ) = $1160 total

EDGE:
$0 up front, $25 per month for 24 months, $15 access free ($25 EDGE discount)
$0 + ($25 x 24) + ($15 x 24) = $960

So, to me, it looks like on the subsidy, contract model, Verizon gets to pocket that upfront cost as pure profit.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well this is my math, maybe I am wrong, lets take the 32GB version as the example, 10GB share plan:

Subsidy 2 yr contract:

EDGE:

So, to me, it looks like on the subsidy, contract model, Verizon gets to pocket that upfront cost as pure profit.

I agree with this math. However, in Firedogee's defense(not that he needs it), I'm pretty sure that when the Edge program was first introduced, there was no $15/$25 Edge bill credit either. Then you were still paying the subsidized monthly plan fee whether you were still on contract with a subsidized phone or on the Edge at full price. In that scenario, the numbers did not work, and was the reason why I never went Edge either. I think we can thank Sprint for forcing VZW's hand on that, because they were also doing the $25 bill credit on their phone payment plan.

Character Zero

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree with this math. However, in Firedogee's defense(not that he needs it), I'm pretty sure that when the Edge program was first introduced, there was no $15/$25 Edge bill credit either. Then you were still paying the subsidized monthly plan fee whether you were still on contract with a subsidized phone or on the Edge at full price. In that scenario, the numbers did not work, and was the reason why I never went Edge either. I think we can thank Sprint for forcing VZW's hand on that, because they were also doing the $25 bill credit on their phone payment plan.

Yeah paying the full access fee plus EDGE would have not made sense. But now I am not sure why a subsidized phone with a 2 year contract is worth it anymore?

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

That is very true. $40 per line + Edge payment was a pure rip-off. The $25 credit basically replaces a subsidy.

Sent from my Moto X

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Yep they didn't roll out those edge credits until recently. And that is the only reason I went edge is because most of the phones besides I phones and note series are under $30 so I'm basically getting my phone for $5 a month max. My turbo is costing me $3 per month.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Subsidy 2 yr contract:

EDGE:

I have a 4g data plan so my edge discount would be $240 less than you calculated, plus I have a 22% corporate discount on data so I pay about $150/mo for 2 smart phones including taxes and insurance. Because I own my phone as of day 1, I could sell my phone today if I wanted. Can't beat that for reliable coverage of VZW.

And the 64gb Turbo cost me $171.00 including taxes (after trade in). Pretty sure you are paying taxes on the whole financed amount too which ends up being about 2.5x the sales tax I pay on contract with subsidy. That's a lot depending on the state.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463