Anyone take Verizon up on increased data?

Character Zero

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a 4g data plan so my edge discount would be $240 less than you calculated, plus I have a 22% corporate discount on data so I pay about $150/mo for 2 smart phones including taxes and insurance. Because I own my phone as of day 1, I could sell my phone today if I wanted. Can't beat that for reliable coverage of VZW.

And the 64gb Turbo cost me $171.00 including taxes (after trade in). Pretty sure you are paying taxes on the whole financed amount too which ends up being about 2.5x the sales tax I pay on contract with subsidy. That's a lot depending on the state.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Yes I see your point. On the plans <10GB you don't get the same savings because of the lower discount on the EDGE line access. In that case its basically a wash with the subsidy, like you said, giving you instant ownership of the phone. But I think the point I was trying to make was the EDGE plan is not really that bad and in some cases can actually save some money. I think sometimes people (not you) see $200 up front and no monthly cost as better than a payment plan no realizing the savings on the line access.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well this is my math, maybe I am wrong, lets take the 32GB version as the example, 10GB share plan:

Subsidy 2 yr contract:
$200 up front, $40 line access fee, 24 months
$200 + ($40 x 24 ) = $1160 total

EDGE:
$0 up front, $25 per month for 24 months, $15 access free ($25 EDGE discount)
$0 + ($25 x 24) + ($15 x 24) = $960

So, to me, it looks like on the subsidy, contract model, Verizon gets to pocket that upfront cost as pure profit.

The Edge plan works for some, but there are some downsides to it as well. Taxes is the first item, as Firedogee said, can eat up any savings with Edge depending on your state. Also, you don't own your phone right away until you pay the full amount. Otherwise, you have to give your phone back to Verizon when you upgrade before paying it off.

Each plan has its benefits, and each carries a negative or two, but it all depends on what you need and your viewpoint of what you are getting.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes I see your point. On the plans <10GB you don't get the same savings because of the lower discount on the EDGE line access. In that case its basically a wash with the subsidy, like you said, giving you instant ownership of the phone. But I think the point I was trying to make was the EDGE plan is not really that bad and in some cases can actually save some money. I think sometimes people (not you) see $200 up front and no monthly cost as better than a payment plan no realizing the savings on the line access.

Good points, thanks for sharing. I don't like to finance anything. Dave Ramsey disciple.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a 4g data plan so my edge discount would be $240 less than you calculated, plus I have a 22% corporate discount on data so I pay about $150/mo for 2 smart phones including taxes and insurance. Because I own my phone as of day 1, I could sell my phone today if I wanted. Can't beat that for reliable coverage of VZW.

And the 64gb Turbo cost me $171.00 including taxes (after trade in). Pretty sure you are paying taxes on the whole financed amount too which ends up being about 2.5x the sales tax I pay on contract with subsidy. That's a lot depending on the state.

Yeah for EDGE you pay taxes up front -- They say $0 down but it is $0 down + taxes as if you bought the phone full price -- Since they're technically selling you the entire phone at full price .. VZW is just financing it for you.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
+1 Until they do I'll stick with my legacy "double-data" 4gb for $30 plan. That plus still having a dumb phone on account for just $9.99/mth keeps me away from More Everything.

I have the double-data 4GB for $30 too. I just have my one smartphone and that's it. I don't need a whole bunch of lines. I keep hoping they do that double your data thing again, but it doesn't seem likely.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah for EDGE you pay taxes up front -- They say $0 down but it is $0 down + taxes as if you bought the phone full price -- Since they're technically selling you the entire phone at full price .. VZW is just financing it for you.

Well, if you live in a sales tax free state like I do......

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Yuppers, this goes for all Turbo purchases at least through the end of the year.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ience-arrives-in-48-hours.html&token=rZC6EfHa

Very interesting.

" Verizon Edge pricing is also available for DROID Turbo – and from launch through the end of the year, Verizon has a special early upgrade to Edge for anyone who upgraded prior to July 1, 2014 and wants to purchase the smartphone."

My last upgrade was a two year contract in Oct 2013, does this make me eligible? Also, if I do go edge, would I lose my double-data legacy plan - 40G for $30.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I think the answers are yes and no, but there's lots of fine print with early edge so talk to a VZW employee online or in store.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I hate to drag up an old thread, but I'm kind of glad that I bumped up my 6 GB plan to 10 GB for the same $80 data plan price I was paying before, because now 8 GB is $85 and 10 GB is $100. The headlines said that Verizon reduced data plan prices by $10, but that was only true for the lower tiers. I never saw an explanation why the price of 10 GB suddenly went up.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I hate to drag up an old thread, but I'm kind of glad that I bumped up my 6 GB plan to 10 GB for the same $80 data plan price I was paying before, because now 8 GB is $85 and 10 GB is $100. The headlines said that Verizon reduced data plan prices by $10, but that was only true for the lower tiers. I never saw an explanation why the price of 10 GB suddenly went up.
Yep, now that I'm locked in at the prior rate, it would actually cost me more to drop down from 10GB to 8GB.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had our account (two Razr Maxx phones and my husband's corporate discount) setup for awhile on the 3GB More Everything plan for $60 - after his discount, it is $48. I'd been debating moving us down a tier to the 2GB plan as we just do not use much mobile data (most months it is less than 1GB combined). Being the one in charge of bills and accounts, I am always looking for the best deal and doing this switch was sounding more and more appealing.

When I called VZW to activate my Turbo earlier this month, I was offered what the rep called a 'loyalty plan' upgrade.. 4GB for $50. Hmm.. 1GB more for $10 less. Although we don't really need the extra data, I was pleased with the lower rate so I accepted and it takes affect next billing cycle. Now, instead of $48/month it will be $40/month. Every dollar I can pinch, I'll take. Seemed like a no-brainer for my circumstances.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site

Me too. I locked in 15GB for $100 and now 16GB is $130.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

ditto, i jumped on the 10GB for 80.

rdimedic

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I pay $24ish a month for unlimited data. That's with my employee discount. I just buy all my phone outright. Works out after selling my old one and buying a new one I'm pretty much paying for a new 2 year plan discounted phone .

Posted via the Android Central App

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I pay $24ish a month for unlimited data. That's with my employee discount. I just buy all my phone outright. Works out after selling my old one and buying a new one I'm pretty much paying for a new 2 year plan discounted phone .

hook me up with that employe discount !!!

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My unlimited data is $29.99 a month. Verizon gives my work a discount on data plan and phone plan. I'm very fortunate for the discount lol. It sometimes pays being a civil servant

question, this discount you get, is it directly through your work or did you let verizon know that you are a civil servant ? reason i'm asking is my wife is a civil servant as well and we never new that such a discount is available. Is this something I can contact big red with ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv