12-17-2014 10:07 AM
31 12
tools
    I like the active display function the phone has but it keeps coming on while driving. Hitting a bump or stopping and starting it flashes on. I lay the phone flat on the passenger seat in case it matters.

Am I missing a setting somewhere to not have it do that while I'm driving when there are no notifications?
    11-02-2014 12:58 PM
    If you face the phone down on the seat it should prevent notifications
    11-02-2014 01:36 PM
    I wonder if it can be disabled. Nice feature but also kind of a pain the ***. If I walk past mine it activates.
    11-02-2014 04:05 PM
    Its supposed to respond to movements, so im not sure if u can turn off a key feature.

You can turn off gestures, so if the sensor picks you up it wont activate the screen.. But thats up to you

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2014 09:57 PM
    If you put it into Driving mode or Dock mode it should quit the on screen display

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    PeninaD likes this.
    11-02-2014 10:13 PM
    Its supposed to respond to movements, so im not sure if u can turn off a key feature.

You can turn off gestures, so if the sensor picks you up it wont activate the screen.. But thats up to you

Posted via the Android Central App
    I disabled the moto active display and it went away. I will try that for awhile and see if it affects anything.
    11-03-2014 08:35 AM
    Yes, moto display doesnt act predictable while driving.
    It seems to come on randomly but I was able to consistently get it to wake up on a hard stop(which actually wasnt that hard).
    Wonder what the sensors are seeing then it just wakes up for no reason sitting in the passenger seat. No bumps, notifications nor turns, just wakes up.
    I have a real hard time believing them when they say it wont activate in pocket or purse. If you just wave it side to side or walk by it, it wakes up. Maybe the technology just isnt there yet.
    12-02-2014 12:42 PM
    I have a real hard time believing them when they say it wont activate in pocket or purse. If you just wave it side to side or walk by it, it wakes up. Maybe the technology just isnt there yet.
    The phone has three IR sensors to monitor movement but it also has a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor. It's the same sensor that's used to determine that you're holding the phone to your face during a call to keep the display off so you don't touch the end call button with your face by mistake. It also works to determine that the phone is in a pocket or bag.

Also, Moto display "breathes" periodically to show unread notifications or to show the unlock icon. Put it down on a table face up and walk away for a while and you will see if "breathe" on and off.
    12-02-2014 12:55 PM
    Thanks,
    But what is waking it up while sitting fixed in the passenger seat. The device isnt moving and no notifications occurred to make it wake up.

Is the internal accelerometer or gyroscope doing this..?
    12-02-2014 01:42 PM
    I notice the same thing. I have no idea why the Turbo is "waking up," but I don't believe my Maxx suffered from the same problem.
    12-02-2014 01:50 PM
    Im considering contacting Motorola directly and find out what their take is...
    Toes Up likes this.
    12-02-2014 02:16 PM
    You can turn it off in the settings on the Moto app.
    12-02-2014 04:42 PM
    You can turn it off in the settings on the Moto app.
    Do you mean disable active display completely?
    I like the idea of the active display but the inappropriate activation is frustrating.

As an aside, I put it in my top shirt pocket pocket and I can see it repeatedly activate. I thought somehow it would 'know better'... I feel like I have to look at it every time it activates to check if a notification set it off...sorta frustrating.

Anyway, I posted over at motorola forums and maybe Ill get some clarity. I dont want to return the device just yet...
    12-02-2014 05:02 PM
    I think it's called Moto Display. I turned it off, because it kept coming on every time it moved.
    12-02-2014 05:13 PM
    I think it's called Moto Display. I turned it off, because it kept coming on every time it moved.
    That's what it's *supposed* to do.
    12-02-2014 07:17 PM
    That's what it's *supposed* to do.
    Hi doogald,
    I put the device in my shirt pocket and it also activates consistently. B/c of all of the sensors, there is no way this device stays dormant in bag/pocket.
    I think it has to do w the accelerometer/gyroscope etc rather then sensors but I am totally guessing...I have no idea what in there...

I am officially beating a dead horse, I know.
    12-02-2014 07:44 PM
    I have the sensor turned off as far as looking at it and it constantly throws up the clock notifier screen. I work for UPS and leave the phone in my cupholder. Every time I start and stop the truck or hit a good size pothole it senses the movement and turns on. I can say I haven't seen any battery issues with it doing that so it must not use too much power.
    12-03-2014 05:15 AM
    As I said, that's what moto display is supposed to do. Periodically "breathe" to show whether or not you have a notification (just like an led will blink until you power the phone on.) come on if it's off when you move the phone. Come on when you wave if you have that feature turned on. Don't come on if it is in a bag or pocket (because it senses it's pressed against something or sees no ambient light.)

It's working exactly how it's meant to work.
    12-03-2014 06:55 AM
    As I said, that's what moto display is supposed to do. Periodically "breathe" to show whether or not you have a notification (just like an led will blink until you power the phone on.) come on if it's off when you move the phone. Come on when you wave if you have that feature turned on. Don't come on if it is in a bag or pocket (because it senses it's pressed against something or sees no ambient light.)

It's working exactly how it's meant to work.

if I get a notification, the active moto display will blink every 5 sec until i check it. Is that the way everybody else's device is? I tried to set it so it would only blink twice and stop but that feature i dont think is possible with moto display...

One other thing I noted is that the device will wake up continuously if its laying flat in the passenger seat while driving. This is even w/o any signif accel/deceleration
    BUT if I put it semiupright in the cupholder there is ZERO activation.
    12-03-2014 04:03 PM
    if I get a notification, the active moto display will blink every 5 sec until i check it. Is that the way everybody else's device is? I tried to set it so it would only blink twice and stop but that feature i dont think is possible with moto display...

One other thing I noted is that the device will wake up continuously if its laying flat in the passenger seat while driving. This is even w/o any signif accel/deceleration
    BUT if I put it semiupright in the cupholder there is ZERO activation.
    I'm not sure if it's 5 seconds but it will flash on and off showing the type of notification. That is normal.
    12-04-2014 04:23 AM
    I'm really liking the active display. What I'm not liking is having it come on from every bump or stop light. I've been looking, but can't figure out a way with tasker to disable it while driving and enable when I stop. Any suggestions on what would help?
    12-13-2014 10:28 PM
    As far as I know, Motorola has not exposed a control to toggle it for apps like Tasker.
    12-14-2014 05:48 AM
    I don't understand why you are concerned about this. It does not impact your battery enough to matter at all and it periodically "breathes " on its own without movement or gestures, so that's normal. It's one of the reasons I stayed with Moto because I loved this feature so much on my Ultra. It frustrates me that my Nexus 9 doesn't do it.... I always expect it to show me notifications when I touch it... I forget every device doesn't do that. You can use Moto settings to have it not do this during your bedtime hours or for meetings, etc. But otherwise I don't know why I would want it not to do this. It's one of the best features of Moto phones.
    12-14-2014 09:48 AM
    My issue is it comes on with every bump or if I start/stop too quick. Every time I then look at the screen to see what the notification is.
    I have driving mode turned off, so I don't know if it would be as sensitive with that on.
    12-14-2014 10:54 AM
    Yes, the active display coming on during driving is super annoying esp if there is no notification. It forces you to look at it, thats what bugs me.

What I found out is that if you keep it FLAT it blinks repeatedly BUT if you keep it SEMI UPRIGHT it doesnt get activated at all. So I currently keep it in my cupholder, actually fits perfect, only activated when its supposed too. I am thinking about getting one of the phone holders that attach to the ac vents. Some thing minimalist...
    12-14-2014 01:07 PM
31 12