DROID Turbo vs DROID Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
With out exception, all of the features you are looking for are standard on the Droid Maxx now. The Turbo has its advantages over the other Droids on the market though. For me just not enough to give up the Maxx

JMHO

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Turbo vs Maxx - Upgrade or Stay?

The Maxx has such a great back panel. Perfect balance between sticky and smooth.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

With out exception, all of the features you are looking for are standard on the Droid Maxx now. The Turbo has its advantages over the other Droids on the market though. For me just not enough to give up the Maxx

JMHO

Arrrgghh....I did not know that. Sorry for the post. I guess I'll be looking forward to these features. acole10000, not so much. Apologies.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Deleted - I guess other people beat me to the correction about the Droid Maxx....

acole10000

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

If I could figure out how to get the Motoemail.apk on the Turbo, that would solve me email issue and Nova Launcher would solve the home screen all the way to the left issue and then I just have to get over the size difference. I really want to like the Turbo...
2014-11-04 14.53.06.png

Last edited:

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

Personally the reason I have liked Moto phones is they do the basic things well. Sturdy build, best radios, great battery life, close to stock android. From what I am reading the Turbo is lacking in some basic areas. Weak wifi and LTE signals, bad call volume, no voice & data yet, questions around VoLTE dropping calls if you lose your 4g signal. What good are all the bells & whistles if the basic functions of the phone don't work well? I'm holding out to see if these things can be fixed with software upgrades. Otherwise the Turbo seems like a pass to me. Really disappointing because I have been looking forward to this phone for months and was planning to jump on it right away.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Personally the reason I have liked Moto phones is they do the basic things well. Sturdy build, best radios, great battery life, close to stock android. From what I am reading the Turbo is lacking in some basic areas. Weak wifi and LTE signals, bad call volume, no voice & data yet, questions around VoLTE dropping calls if you lose your 4g signal. What good are all the bells & whistles if the basic functions of the phone don't work well? I'm holding out to see if these things can be fixed with software upgrades. Otherwise the Turbo seems like a pass to me. Really disappointing because I have been looking forward to this phone for months and was planning to jump on it right away.

I don't have any of these problems on my Turbo. The system update and apps updates fixed it. And the VOLTE voice/data issues are for all the newer phones on Verizon, not just the Turbo.

It's not a perfect phone, but it's far better than some haters would have the world believe.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

If I could figure out how to get the Motoemail.apk on the Turbo, that would solve me email issue and Nova Launcher would solve the home screen all the way to the left issue and then I just have to get over the size difference. I really want to like the Turbo...

Have you tried K9 mail? I can't remember for sure, but I thought it allowed per-account notifications.

Google updated the Gmail app yesterday and one of the changes is that it will allow you to fetch IMAP, POP and Exchange accounts from other services within Gmail. It's rolling out slowly over the next few weeks - maybe this will solve your problem?

I'm not sure what you mean about Nova. Open the Nova settings app, tap desktop, tap Home screens, and it will show the home screens. The default home has a green check next to it and should be in the center. You can tap and drag the screens to be in whatever order you want, add home screens, etc. I'm not sure why they put some on top and bottom rather than just a linear layout, though.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The Turbo doesn't even have VoLTE yet, does it, so it's shouldn't be dropping calls from that.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The Turbo doesn't even have VoLTE yet, does it, so it's shouldn't be dropping calls from that.

No it doesn't. These prospective buyers are all fired up on hearsay and rumors. Blame it all on the iTrash 6 and Verizon dragging their feet on VOLTE!

markymark

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

I don't have any of these problems on my Turbo. The system update and apps updates fixed it. And the VOLTE voice/data issues are for all the newer phones on Verizon, not just the Turbo.

It's not a perfect phone, but it's far better than some haters would have the world believe.

Others are widely reporting the issues still exist, even after the system update. I, for one, am grateful that people are willing to honestly post about issues with the phone. It's what these boards are all about and why people come here. I wouldn't call them "haters" just because they may happen to disagree with you.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I spent some time at a Verizon corporate store today. My Maxx has horrible sound during video recording so I was looking to compare the Maxx and the Turbo. I wasn't "wowed" by the Turbo compared to the Maxx. The screen was somewhat better and of course bigger. I'm sure the camera is better. I couldn't really compare the speed of the processors because my Maxx has so much more stuff on it. If they would have given me some incentive to early edge up I would have considered it, but it looks like there are 32gb Droid Maxx(s) available for warranty replacement and I'll go that route and then wait until next year to see what it brings. Unless I change my mind and edge up...nah, probably not.

borgunit

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Like the gestures (Jedi mind trick) that the new Turbo does. Love the high res screen. Is faster. Love the look of the ballistic back but the Maxx was "grippier". Charger is nice. I do use Nova launcher to get that familiar feel as my old Maxx. I think I am glad I updated, especially when I got $100 off trading in my Droid X. My 2 cents.

Posted via the Android Central App

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I am glad I updated, especially when I got $100 off trading in my Droid X. My 2 cents.

Did you get $100 off your phone purchase or did they give you a $100 gift card?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Others are widely reporting the issues still exist, even after the system update. I, for one, am grateful that people are willing to honestly post about issues with the phone. It's what these boards are all about and why people come here. I wouldn't call them "haters" just because they may happen to disagree with you.

I agree with you, but I'm referring to the people who don't even own the Turbo and continue to bash it.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Now going from the HTC Rezound to the Droid Maxx last year was a big upgrade. Although the Rezound was very underrated, and a better phone overall than the Droid Razr or the Galaxy Nexus.

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

I upgraded today with the BB method to keep my unlimited. Not sure how long that loophole will last so I took advantage of it.

borgunit

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Gave me $100 off the phone. Ended up paying $166 I believe for a 64GB Turbo.