26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Have to have it or it's a deal breaker

10 38.46%
  • No. I could care less either way.

16 61.54%
11-14-2014 10:30 PM
55 123
tools
    It is annoying not being able to send a text while say on a call using speaker phone. Or pull up some info is someone is asking a question. Hopefully the update will come. But yeah couldn't pass up this beast. Wonder if we can use google hangouts dialer to call and use web?
    Of course you can.

Your completely reasonable workaround (I'd even argue improvement - have you heard the voice quality of a Hangouts voice call lately?) to this silly "deal breaker", is likely over the heads of anyone who gets this worked up about it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-04-2014 09:57 AM
    Of course you can.

Your completely reasonable workaround (I'd even argue improvement - have you heard the voice quality of a Hangouts voice call lately?) to this silly "deal breaker", is likely over the heads of anyone who gets this worked up about it.

Good info. But why so angry!

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo
    11-04-2014 10:36 AM
    I think it would still depend on the situation. If I was using the phone for business, and someone called me on my cell number, not my Google Voice number, and they are not on VoLTE on Verizon, and I am not on WiFi (an extremely likely proposition) then you'd have to call them back on GV/Hangouts to do that work.

But I do like the workaround, it just irks me that Verizon took away this ability on this phone when VoLTE is not fully ready to replace CDMA.

Posted from my XT1080M
    11-04-2014 10:41 AM
    I think it would still depend on the situation. If I was using the phone for business, and someone called me on my cell number, not my Google Voice number, and they are not on VoLTE on Verizon, and I am not on WiFi (an extremely likely proposition) then you'd have to call them back on GV/Hangouts to do that work.

But I do like the workaround, it just irks me that Verizon took away this ability on this phone when VoLTE is not fully ready to replace CDMA.

Posted from my XT1080M
    Verizon will have VoLTE work with AT&T soon -- I can't wait till everyone can use VoLTE with everyone else -- On T-Mobile I can use VoLTE no matter who I call since it doesn't depend on the other person .. except for HD voice .. that only kicks in T-Mobile to T-Mobile.

So maybe in a few years everyone will be VoLTE (except Sprint .. who knows what they're doing haha) and we can have something else to worry about .
    11-04-2014 11:46 AM

Posted from my XT1080M
    Not really. You just give people the Google Voice number instead of your cell number. Setup GV so that incoming calls ONLY route to Hangouts. Now anyone can call your Google Voice number from any network (or landline) and as long as you have a decent data signal, your Hangouts app will ring. Of course, if you're on Wi-Fi even better. The Hangouts voice calls probably use more data than they should. But a lot of you are still on unlimited, so....

11-04-2014 12:34 PM
    Yeah, great, easy solution. And yeah, over the heads of those of us getting worked up--how "silly", right? Oh wait, I have thousands of customers already, all of whom have my cell phone number for direct access to me, and it's just ridiculous and completely impractical to think that at the drop of a hat I can provide them with a new number through GV just to sidestep a $3 production cost savings in a flagship device.

Look, it's cool, I understand that most people are likely just inconvenienced by this. But the point is, for those of us who depend on our phones as a lifeline, it's not mere inconvenience; it just plain disqualifies the Droid Turbo as a viable alternative to any previous phone with two capable radios. Don't downplay the situation just because you don't run your own business. Believe me, it's a big deal to some people.
    11-04-2014 01:24 PM
    If it's a deal breaker for you, it's a deal breaker on other phones too until they get the Advance Calling update. No one is forced to buy a DROID TURBO.
    Almeuit and dmark44 like this.
    11-04-2014 01:31 PM
    No worries if its a deal breaker for some. Its coming. I'm fine with that. I like the feature but I can wait for it to arrive.
    11-04-2014 02:06 PM
    As SPRINT USER and in the amount of money that they charge I should be able can you do VOLTE as other carriers do when I got the S5 I was told that I could do that I could do that and I was told that he can do the voice over Internet now I feel betrayed even though sprint line I still love their service I know they don't our race to catch up with the competition and hopefully that this issue will be resolved shortly

11-09-2014 04:04 PM
    Yeah, great, easy solution. And yeah, over the heads of those of us getting worked up--how "silly", right? Oh wait, I have thousands of customers already, all of whom have my cell phone number for direct access to me, and it's just ridiculous and completely impractical to think that at the drop of a hat I can provide them with a new number through GV just to sidestep a $3 production cost savings in a flagship device.

Look, it's cool, I understand that most people are likely just inconvenienced by this. But the point is, for those of us who depend on our phones as a lifeline, it's not mere inconvenience; it just plain disqualifies the Droid Turbo as a viable alternative to any previous phone with two capable radios. Don't downplay the situation just because you don't run your own business. Believe me, it's a big deal to some people.
    People in your situation are going to have a few rough years on Verizon [this issue is not an issue on the old GSM based networks]. The problem will not disappear in a couple months when Advanced Calling is pushed out to the Turbo. It will as long as you are in a 4GLTE area when you start your call and stay in a 4GLTE area for the duration of the call. If you start the call in a non 4GLTE area too bad, no voice plus data. If you start a VoLTE call and leave the 4GLTE area [in my cast that can be as little as walking to an other part of the house] to bad, your call will be dropped. Problem will be less but still will not match the needs of some businesses.
    11-09-2014 05:00 PM
    Have never used it or felt the need to.

11-09-2014 05:01 PM

In total agreement othersteve! That is a silly workaround of giving all our contacts another phone number. Not all of us live in our parents basement. We use our devices for work and many other things. Look, I bit on the Turbo because I like having the latest/greatest even though I usually pay more to get it sooner. I've already had several situations where this caused a problem for me.

A couple of days ago I was making an online purchase using my Turbo. Right when I clicked the button to buy the transaction started to go through...but OMG, I got a phone call! I didn't even think about it, but after my call I noticed the browser was frozen still on that transaction. I had no idea if the purchase went through or not until I saw the authorization on my credit card via the bank's website about an hour later. This isn't going to happen just to those who use their phone for work. The scenario I described will happen to everyone at one time or another. Very, very silly for VZW to allow this. Again, I went in fully knowing this, but many less tech savvy are just finding it out and really pissed. There should be a big sign over the Turbo in the store letting people know.
    11-09-2014 06:03 PM
    In total agreement othersteve! That is a silly workaround of giving all our contacts another phone number. Not all of us live in our parents basement. We us our devices for work and many other things. Look, I bit on the Turbo because I like having the latest/greatest even though I usually pay more to get it sooner. I've already had several situations where this caused a problem for me.

A couple of days ago I was making an online purchase using my Turbo. Right when I clicked the button to buy the transaction started to go through...but OMG, I got a phone call! I didn't even think about it, but after my call I noticed the browser was frozen still on that transaction. I had no idea if the purchase went through or not until I saw the authorization on my credit card via the bank's website about an hour later. This isn't going to happen just to those who use their phone for work. The scenario I described will happen to everyone at one time or another. Very, very silly for VZW to allow this. Again, I went in fully knowing this, but many less tech savvy are just finding it out and really pissed. There should be a big sign over the Turbo in the store letting people know.
    So did you want them to hold up the DROID TURBO for the Advanced Calling update?
    11-09-2014 06:37 PM
    I don't know what the big deal is. I've never had any need to use voice and data together. I really can't believe this is considered a deal breaker for people. It seems really minor to me.
    11-09-2014 06:47 PM
    So did you want them to hold up the DROID TURBO for the Advanced Calling update?
    Yes, they should have waited. No device should be released in 2014 that doesn't have the capability for voice and data at once. I would say to those who believe it is no big deal, that one day soon they will be doing something on the web, then a phone call will come in they need to answer and they will lose their data and change their mind about the importance of this feature.
    11-09-2014 07:07 PM
    I don't know what the big deal is. I've never had any need to use voice and data together. I really can't believe this is considered a deal breaker for people. It seems really minor to me.
    You have never once been using email or on a website and a call came in that you had to answer?
    11-09-2014 07:09 PM
    Yes, they should have waited. No device should be released in 2014 that doesn't have the capability for voice and data at once. I would say to those who believe it is no big deal, that one day soon they will be doing something on the web, then a phone call will come in they need to answer and they will lose their data and change their mind about the importance of this feature.
    ..or they can just not buy a DROID Turbo.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    11-09-2014 09:48 PM
    That's a huge deal breaker. Idk how many times I have been on my phone and needing to get a order number off my email. Or surfing the web while on hold with a company. Their is no excuse to not be able to do that.

11-10-2014 02:56 AM
    You have never once been using email or on a website and a call came in that you had to answer?
    Yes. I stop what I do and answer the call.
    11-10-2014 06:33 PM
    No, just put second antenna in the phone and allow it to do voice & data the old way until VoLTE is ready to roll out. Then when they roll out VoLTE they could deactivate the old one. Pretty simple.
    11-10-2014 06:53 PM
    People in your situation are going to have a few rough years on Verizon [this issue is not an issue on the old GSM based networks]. The problem will not disappear in a couple months when Advanced Calling is pushed out to the Turbo. It will as long as you are in a 4GLTE area when you start your call and stay in a 4GLTE area for the duration of the call. If you start the call in a non 4GLTE area too bad, no voice plus data. If you start a VoLTE call and leave the 4GLTE area [in my cast that can be as little as walking to an other part of the house] to bad, your call will be dropped. Problem will be less but still will not match the needs of some businesses.
    Exactly...voice & data is not important to me, but I can see dropped calls right and left with this. I live in Los Angeles and I have the same issue, I get 4g in some parts of the house but upstairs in my office usually drops to 3g. So if I start a call downstairs then walk up to my office the call will drop. Every time. Not good.
    11-10-2014 07:01 PM
    No, just put second antenna in the phone and allow it to do voice & data the old way until VoLTE is ready to roll out. Then when they roll out VoLTE they could deactivate the old one. Pretty simple.
    Makes total sense to put in parts that will only be active temporarily.
    11-10-2014 07:43 PM
    Makes total sense to put in parts that will only be active temporarily.
    thats the thing its not gonna be just temporarily. it will a long while before verizon only operates a 4g lte network. and until then dropped calls will be the norm for anybody that drives around using there phone. I really wanted the turbo to replace my maxx . it was gonna be everything i wanted huge battery great camera great signal great screen perfect size. instead i ended up back on samsung with a note 4 due to the data issue. i use my phone to run a business from my vehicle on the road its a huge deal to business users like me. no need to make excuses they just dropped the ball plain and simple.
    11-10-2014 08:45 PM
    thats the thing its not gonna be just temporarily. it will a long while before verizon only operates a 4g lte network. and until then dropped calls will be the norm for anybody that drives around using there phone. I really wanted the turbo to replace my maxx . it was gonna be everything i wanted huge battery great camera great signal great screen perfect size. instead i ended up back on samsung with a note 4 due to the data issue. i use my phone to run a business from my vehicle on the road its a huge deal to business users like me. no need to make excuses they just dropped the ball plain and simple.
    I don't know if you have a verizon note 4, but it was my understanding that the Verizon version could not do voice and data simultaneously either, because the 2nd antenna was removed for the advanced calling. If this isn't true, then I will be moving my husband to verizon to get the note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-10-2014 08:57 PM
    I don't know if you have a verizon note 4, but it was my understanding that the Verizon version could not do voice and data simultaneously either, because the 2nd antenna was removed for the advanced calling. If this isn't true, then I will be moving my husband to verizon to get the note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    i do have the verizon note 4 and it does do voice and data the normal way it always has with 2 antennas. and for what its worth ive been getting great reception equal to or better than my droid maxx i had before.
    11-10-2014 09:04 PM
55 123